• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

New quarterly update:

Licensed Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up

Wolverine, Fox - Director engaged (Gavin Hood)

Punisher 2, Lionsgate - Director (Lexi Alexander) and lead actor engaged (Ray Stevenson)

Film Projects Being Developed by Marvel - partial list

Iron Man, Marvel - Completed principal photography; May 2, 2008 release

The Incredible Hulk, Marvel - Commenced principal photography; June 13, 2008 release

Ant-Man, Marvel - Writer (Edward Wright, Joe Cornish) and director (Edgar Wright) engaged

Captain America, Marvel - Writer engaged (David Self)

Nick Fury, Marvel - Writer engaged (Andrew Marlowe)

Thor, Marvel - Writer engaged (Mark Protosevich)

The Avengers, Marvel - Writer engaged (Zak Penn)

Marvel Character Animated TV Projects

"Spider-Man," Sony - In development; US distribution agreement with Kids' WB

"Wolverine and the X-Men," First Serve Toonz (India) - 26, 30 minute episodes in development

"Iron Man," Method Films (France) 26, 30 minute episodes in development

Marvel Character Animated Direct-to-DVD Projects

Doctor Strange, Lionsgate - August 14, 2007 release

Teen Avengers, Lionsgate - Targeted July 2008 release

Hulk Smash, Lionsgate - Targeted October 2008 release

Marvel Character Live Stage Projects

"Spider-Man the Musical," Hello Entertainment/David Garfinkle, Martin McCallum, Marvel Entertainment, Sony Pictures Entertainment - In development/opening date to be determined; Julie Taymor director; music & lyrics by U2's Bono and The Edge

Marvel 2008 Video Game Releases (Release dates controlled by Publishing partner)

"Iron Man," Sega - Targeted 2008

"The Incredible Hulk," Sega - Targeted 2008

Footage from the Iron Man video game can be seen here.

Edgar Wright directing Ant-Man could be tremendous. Obviously I'd prefer to have Simon Pegg as the Eric O'Grady Ant-Man but I'd rather they garanteed the success of the film than catered to my personal wishes. Of course the Eric O'Grady Ant-Man is the one they should use. The whole Shield deal will work out great as well since Samuel L Jackson will already be established as Nick Fury by that point.

• 2 months later...
Marvel Entertainment released its 3rd Quarter earnings for 2007 and included its updated Marvel Studios slate of projects. Here is what the company is developing.

Feature Film Projects Being Developed by Marvel – partial list

Iron Man, Marvel - Completed principal photography; May 2, 2008 release

The Incredible Hulk, Marvel - Commenced principal photography; June 13, 2008 release

Ant-Man, Marvel - Writer and director engaged

Captain America, Marvel - Writer engaged

Thor, Marvel - Writer engaged

The Avengers, Marvel - Writer engaged

Licensed Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up

Punisher 2, Lionsgate - Commenced principal photography, slated for 2008 release

X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Fox - Director engaged, slated for May 1, 2009 release

Marvel Character Animated TV Projects

Fantastic Four, Moonscoop SAS (France) - 26, 30-minute episodes; Running Internationally.

Spider-Man, Sony - In development; US distribution agreement with Kids' WB for Spring 2008 release.

Wolverine and the X-Men, First Serve Toonz (India) - 26, 30-minute episodes in development; Fall 2008 release.

Iron Man, Method Films (France) - 26, 30-minute episodes in development; Fall 2008 release.

Hulk, TBD - In development.

Marvel Character Animated Direct-to-DVD Projects

Next Avengers, Lionsgate - Targeted July 2008 release

Hulk Smash, Lionsgate - Targeted October 2008 release

Thor, Lionsgate - Targeted April 2009 release

TBD, Lionsgate - Targeted September 2009 release

Marvel Character Live Stage Projects

Spider-Man the Musical, Hello Entertainment/David Garfinkle, Martin McCallum, Marvel Entertainment, Sony Pictures Entertainment

In development/opening date to be determined; Julie Taymor director; music & lyrics by U2’s Bono and The Edge

Marvel Video Game Releases (Release dates controlled by Publishing partner)

Sega, Iron Man - Targeted 2008

Sega, The Incredible Hulk - Targeted 2008

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6494

Did they cancel the Magneto movie?

• 5 months later...
With "Iron Man" set to explode this weekend, the next question for Marvel is: What now?

One big variable is who does the distribution. When its financing deal was announced in summer 2005, Marvel said the deal "guarantees distribution for 10 films" through Paramount.

But that guarantee means the Melrose Avenue studio must distribute movies Marvel brings to it. For Marvel, the pact is simply a two-picture deal, with "Iron Man" the first and Marvel obligated only to distribute its next movie through Paramount. (Universal's "The Incredible Hulk" is exempt.)

An additional provision requires that movies based on "Captain America" and "Nick Fury" go through Paramount should they be made, with either film also counting toward the two-picture deal. Sequels of Par-distributed movies also will remain with the studio.

As a result, Marvel properties including "The Avengers," "Thor" and "Ant Man" could conceivably end up with other distributors.

Three years ago, the company wanted to stress the Paramount deal to show it had a pipeline; now, with "Iron Man" tracking well, Marvel aims to show Wall Street that the fledgling studio has flexibility.

Marvel also needs to convince investors it can deliver a steady stream of product. Despite a deep reservoir of characters, it only plans on releasing two titles per year.

"There's a lot riding on 'Iron Man' for Marvel because they don't have a lot of movies," director Jon Favreau said.

Marvel likely won't be releasing any movies in 2009, as the studio would have to be in pre-production now to make a summer date but isn't, mainly because of Hollywood's labor uncertainty.

"We're not going to risk our characters by rushing them," president of production Kevin Feige said. When asked about the timing of an 'Iron Man" sequel, he added that "two or three years is the proper time between movies." Favreau added, "I'd do number two in a heartbeat."

The studio's next project is expected to be announced on an earnings call Monday, with "Avengers," "Ant Man" and "Thor" the favorites. ("Captain America" is a prime property but is perceived as a tough sale overseas.)

Some question whether the Marvel characters waiting in the wings have the appeal of previously licensed characters like "Spider-Man" and "The X-Men." But Marvel president David Maisel said that the key ingredient to make a film successful isn't "more well-known or less well-known characters but tender-loving care."

The earnings call will prove an unusually direct referendum on Marvel. Most film studios get buried on a conglomerate balance sheet. But since the publisher-turned-studio will see much of its growth from movies, weekend grosses likely will make its stock price soar or fall, kind of like, well, a superhero.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...d6b4374ba?imw=Y

Captain America wouldn't be a "tough sale overseas" if people would pitch the concept properly. It isn't about jingoism and blind support of America's politics. The character is a displaced man searching for himself in a world he no longer recognizes. Though he used to support everything America stood for, now he questions himself and the nation he once "died" for. As long as that's understood by the filmmakers, as long as it's marketed that way and as long as the ending doesn't feature him embracing George Bush in front of a "mission accomplished" banner, it will sell oversees.

Captain America wouldn't be a "tough sale overseas" if people would pitch the concept properly. It isn't about jingoism and blind support of America's politics. The character is a displaced man searching for himself in a world he no longer recognizes. Though he used to support everything America stood for, now he questions himself and the nation he once "died" for. As long as that's understood by the filmmakers, as long as it's marketed that way and as long as the ending doesn't feature him embracing George Bush in front of a "mission accomplished" banner, it will sell oversees.

Speaking as a person living oversea, you really are wrong about that. No matter how interesting the character is (and he's become a favorite of mine) the very title of Captain America is a turnoff. They should bring cap in as the lynchpin of an Avengers film but not as his own solo character. They could always spin out of Avengers with a Cap film that is set during WWII and covers the events leading up to his being frozen. Bucky, Human Torch & Namor would be awesome. I'd totally favor ditching the fishscale trunks for the modern black leather though.

You just can't advertise a Cap film out of nowhere, you have to introduce the character alongside established names like Iron Man and then build on that audiance to get any kind of traction with a widespread audiance. I understand that Cap is much more than most peple would believe but its all in the name.

Though I see your point, I think it's very sad that the picture either won't get made or the character's name will be changed due to the current political climate around the world.

The only way I'd accept a name change is if it went like this: during World War II he's known as Captain America. But, upon waking, Nick Fury proposes (RE: forces) a name change because, "Do you really think a child in Iraq is going to see Captain America as a hero?" If they make a point to tell us why the character can't be Captain America (in a meta sort of way), I'd roll with it. Otherwise, if he's simply The Captain from the start, no.

Like I said, you can keep the name if he's spun out of the Avengers to start with, you just can't do a cold open on that character, the name and imagery just won't work overseas. They can't go with The Captain, thats even worse. That like denying what little name recognition the character already has.

After the success of Iron Man, I can easily see Captain America doing good numbers outside of the U.S. The name is a bit of a problem, and I think it would initially turn people away, but if it’s the same quality as Iron Man I think it can overcome the connotations that come with the name.

But maybe I’m being idealistic.

Marvel Entertainment released their first quarter report to its shareholders this morning to coincide with the announcement about the success this past weekend of Marvel Studios' first production Iron Man, which grossed an estimated $104.2 million domestically and over $201 million worldwide. The announcement included an update of Marvel Studios' feature film slate with the already-rumored Iron Man 2 announced for a release on April 30, 2010, followed by three more movies for the summers of '10 and '11. Matthew Vaughn's Thor is set for a release on June 4, 2010, and The First Avenger: Captain America (the working title) will kick off the summer of 2011 on May 6, followed by the highly-anticipated and foreshadowed The Avengers scheduled for July 2011. (Edgar Wright's Ant-Man is also listed as being in development with no release date set.)

In a conference call this morning, Marvel Studios' David Maisel said that Iron Man 2 will be used to introduce Thor. Regarding more "Hulk" movies, Maisel said "We definitely plan on continuing." He added that development continues on Spider-Man 4. "I can't give any other updates other than to say it's in development and everybody's excited about 'Spider-Man 4,'" he said.

With that in mind, one can start expecting a lot more announcements in the coming months about creative teams and casting for those movies including who might direct the Captain America and Avengers movies. (Whomever plays Steve Rogers AKA Captain America presumably will be making two movies at once.)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7165

Since Captain America will be released before Avengers, here's what I'm wishing for: the entire Captain America movie is set during World War II, with the ending focusing on the "deaths" of Cap and Bucky. Then, after the credits, Steve wakes up with Tony, Banner, Blake and Fury standing over him. The closing line, delivered by Fury, would be, "Welcome to the 21st century, Mr. Rogers."

Then, Avengers could pick up right where Cap left off, with Steve jumping off the stretcher and kicking the shit out of everyone, just like in The Ultimates.

Since Captain America will be released before Avengers, here's what I'm wishing for: the entire Captain America movie is set during World War II, with the ending focusing on the "deaths" of Cap and Bucky. Then, after the credits, Steve wakes up with Tony, Banner, Blake and Fury standing over him. The closing line, delivered by Fury, would be, "Welcome to the 21st century, Mr. Rogers."

Then, Avengers could pick up right where Cap left off, with Steve jumping off the stretcher and kicking the shit out of everyone, just like in The Ultimates.

I swear to God, if someone hands him a bidi-bidi-bidi robot...

Though I see your point, I think it's very sad that the picture either won't get made or the character's name will be changed due to the current political climate around the world.

The only way I'd accept a name change is if it went like this: during World War II he's known as Captain America. But, upon waking, Nick Fury proposes (RE: forces) a name change because, "Do you really think a child in Iraq is going to see Captain America as a hero?" If they make a point to tell us why the character can't be Captain America (in a meta sort of way), I'd roll with it. Otherwise, if he's simply The Captain from the start, no.

I almost think they'd HAVE to do this. The fact that Cap hasn't been written as jingoistic and uber-patriotic since the '50s won't register with the rest of the world. Hell, he'll have to climb that hill with a lot of American non-comics readers. So, from a purely realistic storytelling standpoint, they'd have to address it somehow, whether he's the Captain or Captain Rogers or whatever.

I missed this the first time.

Yoda, I hope you know how much I respect you, especially when it comes to knowledge of all things geeky, but if you ever breath this suggestion again I will kill you :devil:

It's Captain America. Period. Anything else is stupid PC bullshit. Make the explosions big enough and anyone will see it.