JackFetch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I caught up with it the other day and it's probably the best MCU show they could do. It's set in the past, so the superheroes of the present-set movies aren't looming in the background: it's 8 episodes, so they can focus on an overarching plot rather than flop around for 15 episodes; and Hayley Atwell, James D'Arcy, and Dominic Cooper are great actors that you look forward to watching. Dominic Cooper has much less screen time than the other two, but he steals every scene he's in. The supporting cast is pretty good too. I also give them credit for engaging with the friction of post-World War II America, primarily through Peggy but extended to other characters as well. The film references have me a little puzzled. Besides Stark being Howard Hughes-esque, there's using Inside Daisy Clover for the dairy factory, the passports, and the Griffith hotel. There's gotta be a reason for it.

This is going to go one of two ways: 1) Spidey is hastily edited into Age of Ultron or 2) He has his place in Captain America: Civil War. Regardless, good for them. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to do my Werner Herzog impersonation.

Edited to add: Marvel has also updated it's release calender:

Thor: Ragnarok moves to November 3rd, 2017

Black Panther will now be out July 6th, 2018

Captain Marvel will hit theaters November 2nd, 2018

Inhumans will premiere on July 12, 2019

Source.

Edited by dc20willsave

I'm hoping they put him in as an Easter egg in AOU and rewrite Civil War with him in it. This is assuming his solo movie comes out between the two. I know he'll most likely just show up in Civil War first, but I don't think it makes much sense to have him as a secondary brand new character in an established world.

If Fantastic Four flops late this year, let's see how long before Fox does try to work out a deal with Marvel. I doubt anything would come of it but, now that we have precedence, who knows?

Is it bad that when I read the news to begin with, my second thought was, "Can someone get J.K. Simmons's people on the phone now so they can get him as a talking head in Age of Ultron?"

Fox has to be kicking themselves after reading this. They can't make the same deal since Marvel is using the Inhumans in their place.

Fox hasn't fucked up the X-Men as a money making machine the way Sony Pictures has fucked up everything other than James Bond that they have.

And honestly adding mutants to the MCU would bring up questions that never seem to be adequately answered when it comes to how the other Marvel heroes seem to react so little to all the attempts at ethnic cleansing the mutants. The mutants are better off where they are.

I really love Garfield in the role. Aside from doing an all around better job in it than Tobey Maguire and looking a lot more like Peter Parker from the comics, he outright LOVES being Spider-Man. You can't just hire that kind of jackpot (no pun intended) with another guy. Plus TBH a lot of the Marvel Studios casting hasn't been spot-on perfect for me. The cast they have is great, but aside from Robert Downey Jr. (I guess) none of the other casted characters are played by actors where I couldn't imagine anyone else playing them. Whoever they cast for Peter will probably elicit a "good...but not great" response from me.

Here's my problem if we get another reboot of Peter: Civil War has Peter unmask. If this is a completely new Peter, it messes up his own series unless he sells that marriage he doesn't have to Mephisto. If it's a continuation, someone will get confused by the new Peter.

Ideally, they should keep Garfield, just do a time jump, maybe 5 years later. It helps with the Dawson Casting and he was just studying abroad during the alien attack. Then, when his series resumes, he's dealing with the aftermath. Or they have an adventure in the skip years. Whichever.

That's assuming that that would be the way they would go. In the MMU, I can't think of a single hero whose identity is not public knowledge (other than probably Black Widow and Hawkeye, but that would have more to do with special ops than the Avengers), so I don't see that angle really being played.

Spider-Man could be just another example of a rogue hero running around unchecked.

Edit: Also, I think at this point to assume that SM will play a major role in the MMU in anything BEFORE the third Avengers movie is a little premature. I would not be surprised to see him post-credits in Avengers 2, though.

Here's my problem if we get another reboot of Peter: Civil War has Peter unmask. If this is a completely new Peter, it messes up his own series unless he sells that marriage he doesn't have to Mephisto. If it's a continuation, someone will get confused by the new Peter.

Ideally, they should keep Garfield, just do a time jump, maybe 5 years later. It helps with the Dawson Casting and he was just studying abroad during the alien attack. Then, when his series resumes, he's dealing with the aftermath. Or they have an adventure in the skip years. Whichever.

well that's the thing, what purpose does it serve exactly to adapt Spider-Man unmasking? Will he stay unmasked? Because they would never ever do a OMD movie adaptation. What's the endgame with it?