Everything Marvel

JackFetch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand the outrage, and what he said was evil. I would never allow him to be alone with my sons. 

But the tweets are ten years old. Do we really want to dig through everything anyone has ever said?

On 7/21/2018 at 7:50 AM, S-T said:

I understand the outrage, and what he said was evil. I would never allow him to be alone with my sons. 

But the tweets are ten years old. Do we really want to dig through everything anyone has ever said?

After doing some reading on this, it appears to be a "fight fire with fire" issue from some folks on the Right. 

And I'm less inclined to support the firing now.

Look. We've all said things we regret. Those of us who have spent significant time online have said things in public that we regret. (I learned twenty years ago that you should not write a letter to the editor the same day you have an endoscopy. You are not in the right mood to argue coherently.) For those who don't live in the public square, the same applies: Every single one of us, without exception, has said things in private that we wish we had never said - sometimes within a second of the vile words leaving our mouths. There's a reason that Scripture describes the tongue as set on fire from Hell.

This is not moral relativism. The things Gunn said, even joking, were pure evil. I am not excusing what he said. I'm not arguing that the things he said were the same morally as the things we have all said that we regret.  I am not minimizing the seriousness of child abuse and how completely depraved it is to "joke" about it.

But if we're going to start digging through things people have said that are ten, fifteen, maybe even thirty years old to play "gotcha" and ruin people's careers, then it's only a matter of time before the mob turns on us. Plus, it leads to a never-ending escalation of the culture wars. The Left collects a scalp, then the Right collects a scalp in retaliation, and then it goes on and on. The reasons to collect a scalp get more petty and farther in the past. The mob - on either side - will never be satisfied.

People change. People get better. People learn from their mistakes and their sins.  Let's not cut people off from the opportunity to grow as a person, by constantly holding them to wicked things they have done in the past. Heck, that's a huge part of the problem with our criminal justice system, because people cannot escape their past even if they are living clean now.

Let's be more magnanimous. Let's be less vindictive. And let's stop escalating the culture war.

16 hours ago, Donomark said:

There's been a swell of discussion of this online that I'm on the side that categorizes this as weaponized outrage from Alt-Righters, and needs to be rectified ASAP.

It's not only confined to the Alt-Right. The campaign against him has also been supported by more mainstream conservatives who hate the Alt-Right.

True but it was started by Mike Cernovich (same with some other recent campaigns with similar targets). The entire point by the Alt-Right was to spread it further out into the mainstream conservatives to weaponize their outrage.

What I'm interested in is if the actors are locked in. I know Dave Bautista has been very vocally against Gunn's firing. If they aren't locked, I could see the Guardians being down by half or more very quickly.

Which main stream conservatives? Ted Cruz? His statement was weak as hell, and he’s pretty spineless in general. He suddenly became the biggest supporter of Captain Grab ‘Em by the Pussy, when it was advantageous. 

I have no problem with actual conservatives, but fuck these false pious monsters. 

And, yeah, those tweets were shitty and dumb. I’ve said shitty and dumb things too. But I’ve grown as a person. If we can’t allow growth, what’s the point of changing? Gunn is a good man, with a big heart, who was trying to be funny and screwed up, and apologized for it. Cernovich is an actual rapist who went after Gunn because Gunn is critical of Cheeto Hitler. Disney made a huge mistake. 

OK, to make things very clear: I'm not a fan of the Alt-Right and I am in no way trying to absolve them of anything. I've been attacked by Alt-Right trolls and called all kinds of names by them that I won't repeat here. I've had to ban a few literal Nazis from commenting on my blog or on the Facebook pages I manage. I've gotten a few Nazis banned from Facebook.

My point is it's easy to point to the Alt-Right as a boogeyman when there is a deeper and broader rot in our politics and in our culture, that goes beyond the Alt-Right. We have a lot that needs to be fixed that we can't pin on a few fringe idiots.

That's what I was getting at with my 380-word post above.

Here's one line that sums things up perfectly:

The mob's anger "long preceded the discovery of the offense, and they are overjoyed to have found a weapon that might destroy their hated enemy."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-need-a-statute-of-limitations-on-bad-tweets/2018/07/24/a84e335c-8f7d-11e8-b769-e3fff17f0689_story.html

Yep. Nobody in the mob about the tweets. The tweets were an excuse to collect a scalp.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

x56hgiyk0gk11.jpg

Spoiler

Directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, Captain Marvel sidesteps the traditional origin-story template, and when it begins, Carol already has her powers. She’s left her earthly life behind to join an elite Kree military team called Starforce, led by Jude Law’s enigmatic commander.

But before long, Carol finds herself back on Earth with new questions about her past. And she’s got a formidable enemy in the form of the Skrulls — the notorious Marvel baddies made all the more dangerous by their shape-shifting abilities. Ben Mendelsohn plays their leader Talos, who spearheads a Skrull invasion of Earth.

Speaking of Earth, Captain Marvel takes place in the mid-’90s, long before Steve Rogers was defrosted or Tony Stark built his first suit. That allows the film to introduce younger version of familiar Marvel faces — like Jackson’s Nick Fury, who’s still a two-eyed S.H.I.E.L.D. desk jockey — as well as let Carol carve out her own, unique space in the MCU.

• 1 month later...