Avengers movie

JackFetch

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're showing it in 3D IMAX, plain ordinary 3D and 2D at my local. The 2D is showing 3 times a day while the 3D is showing 7 or 8 and the IMAX 3D is showing 4 times a day. Ridiculous. :(

The only chance I have to see it at anything remotely resembling a reasonable time in 2D is on the 27th. And thats the one day I can't get near the theatre.

Don't know if anyone cares, but I thought I'd post my new column from today's paper.

The Rough Cut 4-20-12: ‘The Avengers’ movie — like geek nirvana

The Rough Cut

April 20, 2012 - Keith Frederick

There are a lot of things I could’ve written about in this week’s column.

The coming season finales of the TV season. The start of the big album release season. Film festivals and music festivals. The Tupac hologram.

But my mind kept coming back to one thing: “‘The Avengers’ is coming out! ‘The Avengers’ is coming out! Oh my God, ‘The Avengers’ is coming out!”

To a lifelong comic book geek, I’m not sure there’s anything else that really matters in entertainment right now. On May 4, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and The Incredible Hulk will team up on the big screen, with Hawkeye, the Black Widow and Nick Fury thrown in for good measure. (Insert squealing geek noise here. Make sure it lasts at least four minutes, like in real life.)

Unless DC’s multitude of rights issues get cleared up and a Justice League movie starts to materialize, it really doesn’t get any bigger than this. The probable blockbuster brings together the big guns of the Marvel universe, after each of them has had a hit film in his own right. This sort of mash-up of hit film characters is unprecedented, really. The closest comparison I can think of is if the characters in “The Expendables” were intended to be Rambo, John McClane and the Terminator, instead of Steroids Stallone, Smirking Bruce and Plastic Surgery Schwarzenegger playing caricatures of themselves.

For those of you who did not spend your childhood buried in a comic, “The Avengers” debuted in Marvel Comics in 1963, when Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man and the Wasp joined forces to stop Thor’s evil brother, Loki, from causing havoc. The team discovered Captain America frozen in suspended animation in issue No. 4, and he quickly became the face of the team.

Between then and now, there have been countless deaths and resurrections, many villains and world-endangering battles, an Avengers roster that has included just about every character in the Marvel Universe and enough big stories to fill the multiplex every day for a decade.

The Marvel Movie Universe is once again joining the heroes together to battle Loki in “The Avengers” — minus Ant-Man and the Wasp, because the world isn’t ready to believe in a shrinking superhero who talks to ants. Yet.

A few days ago, someone was explaining to me the geekiness of another person by saying that he “knows the real names of all the Avengers, all their powers and their whole backstory.” I just stared, confused, and said, “Why would anyone not know their real names, powers and backstories?” I was then told that I wasn’t normal. Which I was totally fine with.

I think the bottom line with “The Avengers” movie is that it looks like a blast. Even for non-comic fans, these characters have proven to be interesting and a lot of fun.

Even if you don’t giggle like an idiot when Captain America looks at the Incredible Hulk and says, “Hulk. Smash.”

Not that I know anyone who does that.

Mirror Staff Writer Keith Frederick’s column appears monthly in Go. He can be reached at 946-7466 or by email kfrederick@altoonamirror.com.

Don't know if anyone cares, but I thought I'd post my new column from today's paper.

Even if you don’t giggle like an idiot when Captain America looks at the Incredible Hulk and says, “Hulk. Smash.”

Not that I know anyone who does that.

I know I did...

Just wrote out my thoughts but lost the tab in Chrome!!! So it's the short version now and will add thoughts later.

Saw it last night and it's even BETTER than you think it's going to be. The teasers, trailers and vignettes don't even scratch the surface, so watch as much of those as you like. Whedon fan boys will be saying I told you so about this guy a shot at a big movie.

The post credits teaser is not at the end, but after the main stars credits are shown. So don't feel you have to wait until the end, there wasn't anything there.

Not going to write any spoiler type reviews, because there are so many and I don't want any of you to be tempted to read them only for them to ruin those bits for you.

Everyone has to go and see this movie, it is that good. If it doesn't break every box office record, I'd be amazed.

Sorry, one more bit. If you are annoyed or upset with how Hulk has been treated in film to this point, you have to see this movie. Ruffalo is amazing as Banner, and Hulk is given so much more than the previous "love story/someone trying to kill him", treatment that he's had in the past.

That was Max's impressions and here's mine:

Just got back from MARVEL'S AVENGERS ASSEMBLE. (and why is it called that over here? Probably a John Steed and Emma Peel thing. Do they really think we're that stupid? And their target audience are too young to know who Steed and Peel are anyway. But I digress...)

My impressions? It didn't drag between the action scenes, but it came damn close a couple of times. Some of the action is impressive, especially the big battle at the end, but my god did I start to get fidgettey waiting for it. There are some seriously laugh out loud moments that were very well done. "Hulk? Smash" comes pretty much where and how I figured it would. And yes, there is the Joss Whedon motivational event. And it was the most obvious one to have it happen to.

FYI, The after credit sequence is after the big first credit sequence, not the loooooong list of names and suchlike that lasts forbloodyever. And ooooh.. that sequence is... Ooooh.. :)

My local theatre is showing every single lead-up movie back-to-back before the midnight release and The Avengers for $35. I am severely tempted to do it.

Yeah, they're doing that here too. I want to do it so bad, but no one I know is willing to take two days off of work to do it with me.

That was Max's impressions and here's mine:

Just got back from MARVEL'S AVENGERS ASSEMBLE. (and why is it called that over here? Probably a John Steed and Emma Peel thing. Do they really think we're that stupid? And their target audience are too young to know who Steed and Peel are anyway. But I digress...)

My impressions? It didn't drag between the action scenes, but it came damn close a couple of times. Some of the action is impressive, especially the big battle at the end, but my god did I start to get fidgettey waiting for it. There are some seriously laugh out loud moments that were very well done. "Hulk? Smash" comes pretty much where and how I figured it would. And yes, there is the Joss Whedon motivational event. And it was the most obvious one to have it happen to.

FYI, The after credit sequence is after the big first credit sequence, not the loooooong list of names and suchlike that lasts forbloodyever. And ooooh.. that sequence is... Ooooh.. :)

Good god, this film was awesome. This is one of those times when I like 3-D, when it's used to give some depth, and make the people feel like they are coming out in normal scenes, rather than random crap flying at you every ten minutes.

My favourite characters were The Hulk, and Agent Coulson.

Good god, this film was awesome. This is one of those times when I like 3-D, when it's used to give some depth, and make the people feel like they are coming out in normal scenes, rather than random crap flying at you every ten minutes.

My favourite characters were The Hulk, and Agent Coulson.

I wear glasses and having to put 3D glasses over them is an exercise in annoyance, which is why I try not to go see films in 3D. I made an exception for Thor (which I saw in 3D IMAX) but that's about the it.

But yes, Hulk (and Banner) were great. Some of the funnier moments have him as part of them. Agent Coulson is The Man. :buttrock:

I wear glasses and having to put 3D glasses over them is an exercise in annoyance, which is why I try not to go see films in 3D. I made an exception for Thor (which I saw in 3D IMAX) but that's about the it.

Person I went with said the exact same thing. That it was starting to hurt the bridge of his nose, the pressure of both pairs of glasses. And the ending:

Thanos!!

:buttrock:

Was the woman at the end saying Captain America saved her life anyone special, or just some random person?

Review in the next CR. What I will say is that this film is going to make The Dark Knight levels of money. Then again, I could have told you that before actually seeing it!

EDIT: Oh, and the theatre was playing the John Williams Superman theme as we shuffled in. That made me smile!

And the ending:

Thanos!!

:buttrock:

Was the woman at the end saying Captain America saved her life anyone special, or just some random person?

It was the chin that made me realise who he was. That and the smile when The Mysterious Guy said he'd be courting death if he went.

No idea if the woman was anyone in particular.

And good god, is it me or is Gwyneth Paltrow getting hotter as she gets older? Especially in those shorts....

Marvel's The Avengers may not open in the U.S. until May 4, but the summer superhero flick is already breaking international records.

Joss Whedon's Marvel adventure brought in an estimated $178.4 million overseas. "The Avengers" also had the biggest opening weekend ever in 12 countries, including Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Central America, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, New Zealand, The Philippines.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/29/the-avengers-box-office-records-international_n_1462771.html

These kinds of big action blockbusters aren’t normally my kind of thing, but this movie was pretty good. Lots of little things I could pick on in hindsight, but I was entertained throughout.

The Thanos reveal was pretty cool. I'd say my biggest gripe with this movie is that I never felt like there was a real threat to the Avengers. Thanos might change that.

So Avengers was pretty awesome, shame there's a three year wait until the next one. At least we get Iron Man 3, THor 2 and Cap 2 to fill the gap, hopefully they use those to do at least a little build towards the next big Avengers baddie.

Given some of the hints I'm thinking that Thor 2 is going to be where most of that stuff happens.