Random Work Bullshit

Bento

So for the past week my co-worker and I have been arguing whether I could, without a doubt, tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. His theory was that those old school Coke / Pepsi challenges were bullshit and once the carbonation went down your throat you would not be able to tell the difference, even with such glaring soda differences like Sprite and Sunkist! Mine was, "that's a crock of shit and I can tell with no problems, especially between Sprite and Pepsi." So, we decided to get a group of our co-workers together to take a good ol' soft drink challenge, blindfold and everything. It turned out to be really fun and I highly recommend it as a huge waste of time. So, here are the results.

First, the drinks. Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, Sunkist Peach and Mountain Dew.

Now the test. First drink they hand me, without even tasting it, is a Sprit. NO DOUBT! Second drink Coke...third Pepsi...fourth that shitty Sunkist Peach and finally, Mountain Dew but there was something strange with the Dew. I couldn't put my finger on it. It didn't quite taste like anything, but I said mountain dew anyways (it was the last one).

Result

4 out of 5 CORRECT!

The one that stumped me was the last one the Mountain Dew! It was actually the Sprit! WTF, what once was so distinct in the beginning of the test completely eluded me at the end. It just didn't taste quite the same. Did the carbonation actually effect my taste-buds? Did I trick myself by automatically assuming the last drink was in fact the only other option? Anyways, we all had a good time.

The best part was this girl who was so confident completely messed up. When she tasted the Coke she said, "Eww Coke, I hate Coke," that was good and then when she tasted the Pepsi she said, "Pepsi, I'm a Pepsi girl," but the next drink we gave her was another Pepsi at which point she said, "Yuck Coke." Ummm, that was hilarious and when she took off the blindfold she was so proud of herself.

HAHAHA

Question: Did they give you one soda twice? I mean, unless I'm not thinking it through, you can't get only one wrong; if you guess Sprit as number one and Dew as the final soda, but they were reversed, you should have gotten both wrong and then a three out of five.

I can tell most major sodas apart by smell. This includes Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke from their regular counterparts. It's my superpower. :ph34r:

Question: Did they give you one soda twice? I mean, unless I'm not thinking it through, you can't get only one wrong; if you guess Sprit as number one and Dew as the final soda, but they were reversed, you should have gotten both wrong and then a three out of five.

I can tell most major sodas apart by smell. This includes Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke from their regular counterparts. It's my superpower. :ph34r:

Yeah, they gave me the Sprit twice. The first time I hit it on the nose, the smell alone was enough, but at the end of my test it was still sprit but it's taste changed. My co-workers theory was somewhat right. Drinking carbonated beverages changes your tastes to the point where the sodas taste similar...to an extent.