Ian Churchill sign exclusively with DC

Missy

ARTIST IAN CHURCHILL SIGNS EXCLUSIVE CONTRACT WITH DC COMICS

March 17th, 2004 -

"I returned from my two-year world trip to find some unexpected changes in the comic book industry and some great things happening at DC Comics," says Churchill. "Staying in contact with Eddie Berganza during my absence, we started talking on my return about possible projects for me at DC. I'm excited to be in the position to tackle some of the most recognizable icons the industry has to offer and more importantly, I'm passionate about drawing again as a result. Bring it on!"

"I am very excited to have Ian working exclusively here at DC," says Group Editor Eddie Berganza. "His artwork is so dynamic it leaps off the page. Don't take my word for it, just check out the work he did on SUPERMAN #180 where the Man of Steel faced off against Dracula! The detail was amazing and his Lois... wow! His artwork captures the larger-than-life attitude we have going on in the DCU, and Ian's heroes kick major butt!"

Churchill returns to DC as cover artist on OUTSIDERS #12. This issue is solicited in the March issue of Previews and is scheduled to arrive in stores on May 19 with a cover price of $2.50 U.S.

(source)

I couldn't get enough of Ian when he was on Cable -- his vision of the character seemed perfect. And his work on Age of Apocalypse was by far his best to date. (See the image of Apocalypse below.) Eventually he went off to work on Coven, and promptly disappeared. Now that he's back, I have to wonder if anyone even cares.

He was never a huge name to draw readers in, if I remember correctly he missed deadlines, and, frankly, his style, as good as it is, is what was wrong with comics in the 90s -- a super-ultra-über amount of hash marks, impossible muscles, and even more impossibly large tits. (I take that last part back, as he could draw three cup sizes: apples, cantaloupes, and watermelons.)

aoa1cover.jpg

Didn't Churchill work on Uncanny X-Men for like three issues, in a very publicised move?

Indeed he did.

Didn't they all come out late, then he wandered off?

That's what I was driving at. He's a talented artist (if not another Jim Lee knockoff), but he's always late.