Ultimate Cable

Sean D.

I like it, sort of.

I REALLY like it because I feel that the Ultimate universe should be significantly different from the regular universe. Like Sabretooth started out as a big blond version of Wolverine in the Ultimate universe, then they turned him randomly back into the more beastial version, and it sucked.

Whether he'll work as a character or not remains to be seen. Probably will though. Since apparently he's Wolverine, and people fucking love Wolverine.

I like it, sort of.

I REALLY like it because I feel that the Ultimate universe should be significantly different from the regular universe. Like Sabretooth started out as a big blond version of Wolverine in the Ultimate universe, then they turned him randomly back into the more beastial version, and it sucked.

Whether he'll work as a character or not remains to be seen. Probably will though. Since apparently he's Wolverine, and people fucking love Wolverine.

I haven't followed it in a while (like around ish 20), so are you saying cable is wolverine in the ultimate reality?

Some spoilers follow, but to answer your question, they're necessary:

The only time he shows any "powers" are when he pops out a set of adamantium claws while fighting Wolverine. He then utters this line (to Wolverine, who is the only X-Men conscious at this point): "I don't pop the claws for just anyone. I've gone through thirty years without a healing factor to make me better than you could ever hope to be. It's over, bub." (parts bolded to reflect the way they were written in the book) So yeah, he appears to be an alternate future Wolverine, or at least some sort of related Weapon X project/clone/whatever.

My main problems with this storyline are mostly (Spoilers follow)

The fact that this Cable is not Scott and Jean/Madyline's son, (at least leaving the writers the option of killing Jean off in this continuity without having the need of Sinister as the brilliant geneticist to make a clone so Scott can have a child) Instead, they turn him into another Wolverine.

We have Wolverine already.... hell, in the Ultimate Universe Sabertooth comes out and says that he is considered the "Poor Man's Wolverine" basicly saying that he is in fact, Wolverine v2.0. (not to mention the fact that he also revealed that he is Logan's son in this universe)

So now we have a third version of Wolverine in Cable. Enough already! I get it. Wolverine is a very widly loved charcter. He is my personal favorite X-man, but please.... don't turn this into the Wolverine Show.

When the Ultimate books get too close to the 616 books, people complain. When they stray too far, people complain. It's funny like that. As a longtime fan of Cable, I dig the idea of him not being what we've come to know.

(not to mention the fact that he also revealed that he is Logan's son in this universe)

'Tooth said that might have been a lie.