Final Fantasy XII

kariyanine

I picked up a copy today, but haven't played it yet. I'm a huge FF fan, and have been since VI. The Game Genie code where you start at level 99 was just awesome. I found that after beating the game without cheating, and it was so satisfying to obliterate some of the strongest monsters in the first half of the game.

I crossed the 80 hour mark this weekend, basically spent the whole of New Year's Day hunting marks and hunt club rare monsters. My party is universally at or above level 43, and I'm steamrolling through certain portions of the map while avoiding others (the Deadlands, the Necrohol) because I only seem to get ambushed and annihilated. I've unlocked five or six espers, but like cvskin said, they're just about worthless. I've only summoned two or three of them in a battle, and usually don't even bother.

I love this game. I can't stop playing.

Right now, since I'm leveling up, I have everyone's, including the party leader's, primary gambit set to attack any enemy within sight. That way I don't have to go into a menu to attack something, I just have to steer in their direction. Everyone also has an "any ally - phoenix down" or "any ally - raise" gambit, which the system knows to only use if one of your teammates goes down, as well as a "ally status: confuse - smelling salts" combo because confuse is just freaking annoying. I'll always have a healer in the party with a "ally hp < 50% - curaga" gambit. Other than that, I just play around with different combinations. "enemy status:protect - dispel" "enemy status:oil - fira", that kind of thing. I also got the licenses for every technick with Balthier and have a "party leader's target - expose" gambit I'll manually toggle on or off when I'm in a boss fight and want to do some big physical damage. When I'm in a big battle, though, I usually like to do things manually.

Does anyone the best combination of gambits to use? I only really use them to get my support characters to attack and occasionally heal while I take on the enemies.

Personally, I went through the entire game with only 4 gambits on my characters. My two support characters had:

1-ally hp <50%-cura

2-party leaders target-attack

3-enemy flying-telekinesis

4-ally hp<20%-curaja

For my party leader I just changed number to to attack closest enemy. I took manual control over the spellcasting as I wanted to take part in the battle in some fashion.

For the tougher hidden fights, I had the party leader just on continuous attack, while my two support characters had gambits set to always cast reverse and decoy and an occasional heal for any damage taken inbetween casts of reverse.

I'm having problems with the ice esper boss and those fukkin' elementals it makes. Any suggestions?

I actually was able to beat this Esper in one shot by chaining my Quickenings together. If you have level 3 Quickenings for your party I would suggest trying that.

<_< I wasn't aware how powerful Quickenings were until not too long ago (and the extra mana bar you got~!), so now I feel stupid not going after them as soon as possible.

I didn't really understand how to use them at first, and didn't realize you could chain them for like, minutes at a time.

To be honest I usually just chain Quickenings to fight bosses without even being touched :D I can't remember the last boss I have actually fought.

Well, that strategy will change when you meet some of the higher-HP bosses. Even if you luck out and manage to hit Black Hole every time out, that's a maximum of three (MAYBE four, if you get lucky) castings before you're out of MP and have to dig into your hi-ether collection or begin charging. At about 80K HP a shot, that's a max of 320K HP - and some of the tougher hidden bosses have HP well into the millions. When you find yourself out of MP in a room with an enraged monster and you start trying to charge and stay out of damage's way... the battle doesn't last much longer. Quickenings are best used to polish off a boss who's down to his final quarter HP or so.

Anyway, Pablo, for the ice boss I did actually use an early quickening to wipe out the little ice elemental things. If you don't have enough mist charges to trigger any of the big spells that follow a quickening, just concentrate on an area fire attack like Firaga. You definitely want to wipe out the elementals ASAP.

<_< I wasn't aware how powerful Quickenings were until not too long ago (and the extra mana bar you got~!), so now I feel stupid not going after them as soon as possible.

I didn't really understand how to use them at first, and didn't realize you could chain them for like, minutes at a time.

To be honest I usually just chain Quickenings to fight bosses without even being touched :D I can't remember the last boss I have actually fought.

Like Drq said, the quickening are really only good for the first part of the game, once the bosses and enemies life points get above 100,000 it really isn't worth using all your MP for them.