World War Hulk

Missy

From Newsarama:

PEEK: HULK #106 COVER BY GARY FRANK

If you thought Civil War was tough on Earth's heroes, you haven't seen anything yet! Come May 2007, one of the biggest, baddest threats ever to step foot on Earth returns—and he's not happy. Fresh from his interstellar space odyssey in "Planet Hulk," the Jade Giant makes his way back to Earth for "World War Hulk" and we've got the first peek look at art from "WWH."

Tricked into heading off-world by the Illuminati in Incredible Hulk #88-#91, Hulk was duped into exile and sent away for the safety of humanity. Landing on the planet Sakaar, Hulk found himself first as a slave, then a gladiator and now a rebel fighting to free the planet from under an oppressive ruler. But whatever path lies ahead for Hulk, his immenent return home brings grave danger for Earth as he's stronger and madder than he's ever been before! While the main events of this story will unfold within the five-issue World War Hulk mini-series by Greg Pak and John Romita Jr., there'll be plenty of action in Incredible Hulk as it ties directly into the blockbuster event. Hulk scribe Pak says, "When the World War Hulk miniseries begins in May 2007, the pages of the ongoing Incredible Hulk series will set up certain elements of World War Hulk and show how the events of WWH tear through the lives of the Hulk and his friends."

As if all hoopla surrounding the Hulk isn't Earth-shattering enough, artist extraordinaire Gary Frank (Supreme Power) takes over penciling duties on Incredible with issue #106. Of Frank's arrival on the book, Pak says, "Gary Frank is a living legend--I'm thrilled to have the chance to work with him. He did an amazing job with the 'Planet Cho' Civil War tie-in story in Incredible Hulk #100 and is knocking the ball out of the park with the guest artist pages he's doing for Incredible Hulk #101 as well. I can't wait to see what he does with the book when he takes over with #106. Just one small hint--the 'Planet Cho' backup story in Incredible Hulk #100 sets up some of the dynamics we'll explore in Incredible Hulk #106-#108." One more hint, maybe? "Also, Incredible Hulk #108 is where the aftermath of World War Hulk will play out--with huge ramifications for the future of our hero and everyone around him."

While "World War Hulk" is still months away, whet your appetite with Gary Frank's cover to Incredible Hulk #106 .

Hulk106.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta think The the two smartest guys on earth Reed and Stark will have some kind of contigency plan already in place for the Hulk's return...

The problem is that there is a guy that might be smarter than both of them looking to bring him back to Earth. I doubt they thought of that.

Who the heck is smarter then Reed Richards?

16 teen year old kid named Amadeus Cho, I don't feel like grabbing my comics to check for exact accuracy on spelling and age but it is relatively correct.

It isn't exactly that he is smarter than richards or stark, just that he "processes data" differently than anyone else ever has. He sure as hell outsmarted Reed Richards though.

I gotta think The the two smartest guys on earth Reed and Stark will have some kind of contigency plan already in place for the Hulk's return...

The problem is that there is a guy that might be smarter than both of them looking to bring him back to Earth. I doubt they thought of that.

Who the heck is smarter then Reed Richards?

It's been said before that if Parker ever got serious, his intelligence would rival that of Richards/Stark. Also, thanks to Thor's death, Doom is back.

16 teen year old kid named Amadeus Cho, I don't feel like grabbing my comics to check for exact accuracy on spelling and age but it is relatively correct.

It isn't exactly that he is smarter than richards or stark, just that he "processes data" differently than anyone else ever has. He sure as hell outsmarted Reed Richards though.

Oh i never heard of him is he relatively new?

It's been said before that if Parker ever got serious, his intelligence would rival that of Richards/Stark. Also, thanks to Thor's death, Doom is back.

Sure Doom's smart, but not smarter then Reed. I mean Doom blew up his own face...I'm sure spidey could be as smart as or smarter then Stark if he got serious but he's not in Reed's league.

Oh i never heard of him is he relatively new?

Relatively, yes. Greg Pak, current writer of Incredible Hulk, introduced the character in Amazing Fantasy (2004) #15.

Sure Doom's smart, but not smarter then Reed. I mean Doom blew up his own face...I'm sure spidey could be as smart as or smarter then Stark if he got serious but he's not in Reed's league.

I think alot of people underestimate Doom's intelligence, remember, this is a guy that has created inventions that were the first of thier kind, some Reed couldn't create.

I think alot of people underestimate Doom's intelligence, remember, this is a guy that has created inventions that were the first of thier kind, some Reed couldn't create.

I know Doom's smart, but the easiest proof that I have that Reed is smarter is that incident. Reed saw his equations recognized something was wrong, and Doom(I have way too much pride) blew it off and subsequently blew off part of his face. I'm just saying that proves Reed is slightly smarter then Doom. Only slightly though...

• 4 weeks later...

Doom is one of those villains that Marvel tries to push as "the only thing keeping him from being the best is himself." Kinda like how, until recently, the only person that can stop Thanos is Thanos gimmick

I've got a problem with just classifying people as smarter than others. There are so many fields in so many sub-fields. It's one thing that Ultimate FF has touched on a bit more than 616, specializing the smart peoples.

Doom is one of those villains that Marvel tries to push as "the only thing keeping him from being the best is himself." Kinda like how, until recently, the only person that can stop Thanos is Thanos gimmick

I've got a problem with just classifying people as smarter than others. There are so many fields in so many sub-fields. It's one thing that Ultimate FF has touched on a bit more than 616, specializing the smart peoples.

I think thats why Peter overriding Starks immobilisation of his suit didn't ring true. Stark is a technical and tactical guy, wheras Peter always seemed more biological and radiological. Obviously their talents cross over to some degree, but I wouldn't have thought Peter could out-do Tony with machinery.

The really smart Marvel guys are really smart at any scientific venture, which hurts when trying to individualise them. Big brains shouldn't be so interchangable.

I'll throw a bone to Wolverine here. When you're talking about the smartest Marvel characters, his name doesn't normally jump to mind; but the man can fluently speak like a dozen different languages and knows their cultures backwards and forwards. And he's a highly capable tactician. I grabbed this from the Wiki:

Forge's description of Logan's mental and physical prowess:

"...[it's the] equivalent of an Olympic-level gymnast performing a gold medal routine whilst simultaneously beating four chess computers in his head."

He isn't Doom or Reed-level intelligent, but he's smarter than most give him credit for.

I think that's based off of the fact that most people (myself included) would theorize that most of his knowledge has been gathered through experience or conditioned to him. He doesn't really seem to have that whole "love of learning" idea you get from the other geeks. :)

I'll throw a bone to Wolverine here. When you're talking about the smartest Marvel characters, his name doesn't normally jump to mind; but the man can fluently speak like a dozen different languages and knows their cultures backwards and forwards. And he's a highly capable tactician. I grabbed this from the Wiki:

"...[it's the] equivalent of an Olympic-level gymnast performing a gold medal routine whilst simultaneously beating four chess computers in his head."

He isn't Doom or Reed-level intelligent, but he's smarter than most give him credit for.

I never really thought about that but it is a really good point. You talk about all the science-minds but Wolverine would be a sociology and anthropology genius.

Back to WWHulk; The more I think about it the more I come to this decision: Hulk needs to win to keep credibility and to not make the story anti-climatic. I fear if he doesn't win he would go the way of Aquaman/Namor. DC/Marvel always tell us how powerful they could be but they never suceed. I've pretty much decided that for me to take them seriously again, they would have to make an attempt to take over the land-world and pretty much suceed.

The Hulk is pissed at Reed and Tony. To satisfy my hopeful requirements, he would have to "take out" at least one of them. I'm not really sure how he could rock Reed without just putting him in the hospital for... then length of time that the alternate FF fills the FF books. For Tony, it could appear like Hulk takes out Ironman and Tony just goes into hiding and runs shield full-time and Hulk is none-the-wiser.

• 3 weeks later...

I never really thought about that but it is a really good point. You talk about all the science-minds but Wolverine would be a sociology and anthropology genius.

Back to WWHulk; The more I think about it the more I come to this decision: Hulk needs to win to keep credibility and to not make the story anti-climatic. I fear if he doesn't win he would go the way of Aquaman/Namor. DC/Marvel always tell us how powerful they could be but they never suceed. I've pretty much decided that for me to take them seriously again, they would have to make an attempt to take over the land-world and pretty much suceed.

The Hulk is pissed at Reed and Tony. To satisfy my hopeful requirements, he would have to "take out" at least one of them. I'm not really sure how he could rock Reed without just putting him in the hospital for... then length of time that the alternate FF fills the FF books. For Tony, it could appear like Hulk takes out Ironman and Tony just goes into hiding and runs shield full-time and Hulk is none-the-wiser.

I think when the Hulk finally returns to earth he's gonna end up not killing Reed or Tony. Instead he's going to kill sombody trying to get to Reed or Tony and it will be a major character. The death of this character is going to be the point that starts the war of the Hulk vs the Earth. This will then prove Tony and Reed's point of him being too dangerous to be on earth and could possibly reunite some of the character's who have fallen out as a result of Civil War. The Hulk is an engine of destruction normally but you then throw in the fact that he had been exiled from earth by Bruce's very own friends, the rage that will boil up inside of him will create a very, very unstopable Hulk who can't be beaten by any one hero or group alone. Tony being the futurist that he is will then point out that allowing the Hulk to wreak havoc on earth to get a few individuals would be crazy because he wouldn't just hurt Charles or Reed he would flatten anyone or anything that got in his path. It is going to have to be a group effort on everyone's part if they want to prevent the Catastophe that the Hulk is going to bring with him.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not just the Illuminati he's stepping over, because Ben Grimms arms in in there. Could Hulk have more in mind than just crushing the people who exiled him?

I think Hulks coming back as a super bad-guy. Doesn't matter if he is justified, this is a big step towards the hulk becoming Maestro.