World War Hulk

Missy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw a bone to Wolverine here. When you're talking about the smartest Marvel characters, his name doesn't normally jump to mind; but the man can fluently speak like a dozen different languages and knows their cultures backwards and forwards. And he's a highly capable tactician. I grabbed this from the Wiki:

Forge's description of Logan's mental and physical prowess:

"...[it's the] equivalent of an Olympic-level gymnast performing a gold medal routine whilst simultaneously beating four chess computers in his head."

He isn't Doom or Reed-level intelligent, but he's smarter than most give him credit for.

I never really thought about that but it is a really good point. You talk about all the science-minds but Wolverine would be a sociology and anthropology genius.

Back to WWHulk; The more I think about it the more I come to this decision: Hulk needs to win to keep credibility and to not make the story anti-climatic. I fear if he doesn't win he would go the way of Aquaman/Namor. DC/Marvel always tell us how powerful they could be but they never suceed. I've pretty much decided that for me to take them seriously again, they would have to make an attempt to take over the land-world and pretty much suceed.

The Hulk is pissed at Reed and Tony. To satisfy my hopeful requirements, he would have to "take out" at least one of them. I'm not really sure how he could rock Reed without just putting him in the hospital for... then length of time that the alternate FF fills the FF books. For Tony, it could appear like Hulk takes out Ironman and Tony just goes into hiding and runs shield full-time and Hulk is none-the-wiser.

I like that idea and the potential for some deep characterization would be great. I really just ask that they focus. From what I'm reading it looks like the story will spread into the main series and for now that's it. That's good, I like that, but lets keep it that way at least until the end of WWH. Build some momentum.

WWH could be a good place to start the comic book club. Seems like a lot of people are into it. What ya all think?

Isn't Hulk smart right now? I'm not reading it now because I don't like space stories. Has he mentioned anything about Earth lately?

He's not in dumb "HULK SMASH!" mode right now, but he's not Professor Hulk either. I'd say he's around average intelligence, but with a ruthless edge. When Stavros said, "... this is a big step towards the Hulk becoming Maestro," he was spot on.

Weird, but oh so cool! Until recently, Hulk was mostly a brawler. But now he knows how to fight... with weapons. :w00t:

If WWH doesn't end with a major death or dismembering, I will be disappointed.

Along with the swords and shields, I'd really like to see Hulk come back with some of the supporting cast from Planet Hulk. I am absolutely loving the whole huge arc.

Along with the swords and shields, I'd really like to see Hulk come back with some of the supporting cast from Planet Hulk. I am absolutely loving the whole huge arc.

Unless they all die by the end of PH, I assume Hulk will be brining his crew (if not an army) with him.

• 2 months later...

I'm not impressed with that Romita art. To me, he's one of the best of all time and it looks like he's phoning it in.

I'll stick to the podcast for WWH. I feel burned for buying CW and Frontline and having to pick up ancillary titles in order to get anywhere near the entire story. I'm "evented" out. Plus I haven't read a Hulk book since a few issues after Keown left and I don't plan on doing so in the foreseeable future. Not many others do either which explains the genesis of the event. Still, not interested.

I'm not impressed with that Romita art. To me, he's one of the best of all time and it looks like he's phoning it in.

The "hit list" art is not Romita.

I know that. I mean the sword-wielding promo pic. Give me some credit!

I actually like that hit list art. Who did that?

The "hit list" art is not Romita.

I know that. I mean the sword-wielding promo pic. Give me some credit!

I actually like that hit list art. Who did that?

Pardon. I thought "that Romita art" was mistakenly in reference to what I had posted above. But yeah, the Hulk image with the swords is not JRJR's best. It looks rushed, the perspective is odd and Hulk's posture is all messed up. Hopefully the book itself will be much better.

The "hit list" artist is John Watson, cover artist for WWH: Front Line.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, philosophically...

Were the heroes right to banish Hulk from Earth?

Now,

having the ship be wired to explode was certainly a boneheaded and immoral move. Like the WWH Prologue states, it wound up killing millions of innocent people. They had no way of knowing if the ship would be in a populated area when it went nuclear.

However, Hulk is a major danger. I know it is a different universe, but look at the damage done and hundreds of people killed by a single rampage by Ultimate Hulk in The Ultimates. They may have violated Hulk's civil rights and acted as vigilantes, but was it really wrong to seek to protect the people of Earth?

(Of course, if banishing the Hulk was justified, it really makes no sense to not do the same thing to the Abomination, Juggernaut, or Carnage. Don't try to examine whether it is consistent, because your head will explode.)