System of the Current Generation

Missy

System of the Current Generation  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be tempted to say DS, since gameboys have a way of permeating everything everywhere at all times, its seems. However based on my dad calling me up the other day out of nowhere to ask about an ad he saw in the bestbuy papers

"is this the new thing where you [insert arm waving and lightsaber-like sounds]"

"yeah dad, it is"

"man, that's alot cheaper than I thought it would be. I'd like to try it some time"

excluding dr mario and tetris, my pop hasn't touched videogames since the Intellivision. So even though he wouldn't go out and buy one for himself that fact that he new what it was and the "gimmick" is good enough to make him want to try it bodes well for Wii. Plus, if I planted the seed, his interest could probably turn into a xmas or bday Wii for me.

You stated my reason for voting Wii. My 63-year-old stepfather saw a commercial for the Wii and was interested in trying it. This man has never, ever touched a video game system, but Nintendo has enticed him. Same with my mom who hasn't played a game since Kaboom! on the 2600: she wants to try Wii bowling. Then there's Jenny who generally can't get into video games: she loves playing tennis and bowling with me.

As long as developers get behind the system, and I believe they will, the Wii and its instant immersion will destroy any graphical leaps made by Sony and Microsoft.

I personally think the generation will fall like this:

01. Wii

02. DS

03. 360

04. PS3

05. PSP

It's gotta be The Wii. Nintendo have been amazing here in providing a system that will rope in a lot more than just hardcore gamers. With its beautiful price tag and its innovative Wiimote that instantly gives it the appearance of something that isn't just another games console, people from all across the spectrum will be interested. This is something non gamers will show an interest in, but at the same time, core gamers won't be alienated because, well.. y'know... Zelda. I was incredibly cynical of The Wii at first, but really, it's pure marketing genius on the part of Nintendo. This could very well be the smartest decision they ever made.

The 360 looks more decent than I initially gave it credit for, and The Nintendo DS is just a wonderful bit of kit. Sony lag far behind with their overpriced PS3 and their recent desire to alienate their customers and their third party developers. Sony's arrogance could cost them a bundle of money this time around, and no matter which way you slice it, good graphics does not = good system. Just look at how technologically advanced the shitty PSP is compared to the DS. Yeah that's right, DS still kicks PSP's ass, because Sony forgot that a game system needs games to be good, not just the ability to let you watch Spiderman 2 on the bus.

Plus Sony tried to put an end to secondhand games and that is just - not - on.

Plus Sony tried to put an end to secondhand games and that is just - not - on.

I don't think that part was ever confirmed.

As for explaining my list. Sony has third party support and Nintendo doesn't. I love the Wii as much as the next guy, but the long term future for the system just doesn't show much promise, whereas the PS3 can only improve when the great games come out.

sony seems to be on its way out as far as third party support goes. Much like how some big names migrated to sony back in the day, I expect a similar migration back to nintendo. They are going to want to jump on wii like they jumped on ds. Plus, how do you make a game fresh that hasn't been fresh, in years? (Madden) Answer: Put it on Wii

everything I've been hearing lately has Sony burning their bridges

PS3, at least that's what I think I clicked.

I will follow this fairly closely though, as I'm not sure the Wii is going to have the mainstream appeal that people think it will.

Really, I think it will bring in as many 'new' people as the PS3 will. Some will buy the wii because it looks easier, some will buy the PS3 for the blueray.

Really, I think it will bring in as many 'new' people as the PS3 will. Some will buy the wii because it looks easier, some will buy the PS3 for the blueray.

There are so many things wrong with that sentence I don't know where to start. Nobody is buying the PS3 for the Blu-Ray. It costs too much to bring "new people" to it. The Wii has the biggest appeal of all, it's cheap.

I've heard of more than a few people buying the PS3 as a cheap Blu-Ray player.

I've heard of 200,000 people that bought the PS3 to sell on EBay, what's your point? If anyone bought it to watch Blu-Ray on, then they aren't very smart. You'll be able to download all your favorite movies in HD within the next couple years, and not have to worry about a format war. 90% of the world is perfectly happy with regular dvds, and won't buy either one any time soon. Shoving a new, untested format down people's throats isn't very smart.

I stand by what I said. Nobody is buying it just for the Blu-Ray. Want proof? Ask how many games they played on it. It's a video game console before anything else. Anyone that tells you different is lying.

See I'm actually in the same boat. I'm not going to buy Blu Ray or HD DVD's. I don't see the point in either at this stage, since the improvements over DVD's just aren't that great. Especially for a guy like me who has a pretty crappy T.V.

I never said that smart people were buying the PS3 as a Blu Ray player, I just said that I've heard of people buying it primarily for that use. There are always going to be people with lot's of money who are willing to spend whatever they need to get the latest technology. You're saying nobody is going to buy it as a Blu Ray player, I'm saying there's bound to be a few.

Ha, third party support on PS3, we'll see how long that lasts. Sony have talked about wanting to charge third party developers for their demos. Yeah Sony, that's really fucking smart, you overconfident, arrogant shitehawks. No company with a shred of self respect would accept that bullshit. We've already seen a couple of excellent looking PS3 exclusives appear in the 360's upcoming lineup, and I think that trend will continue, if we don't see come companies abandon Sony altogether.

As for the Wii, I don't think it'll have a problem finding third party support. There are plenty of designers out there who'll want to try out some crazy new ideas or other on the system. I know Hideo Kojima's pretty interested (makes sense, he's as mad as a bicycle) and I heard early rumours that Silent Hill 5 will be coming out on it. With Konami interested and Capcom sure to provide the system with some gems (Umbrella Chronicles and Heroes btw). Nintendo's strength has always been in house titles anyway, but I'm confident we'll see some good third party titles in due course.

Sony is full of some of the biggest assholes in the world, and it's starting to look like that's going to bite them in the ass. I hope so, too. They're fucking cocksmokers.

People like to see the mighty fall. It's a primal instinct. If Nintendo was on top the last two generations, they'd be under the gun too.

Not to say that Sony hasn't made a bunch of mistakes, but it's funny how everyone that thinks Sony's dead completely forgets about the PS2 launch.

Ha, Jim bringing the unfounded hate.

Since this is purely a hypothetical question, I'm going to assume that the respective companies delivered on each of their promises, and if that happenend Sony is out far as the winner. However, that is a big if.

Unfounded hate? I was burned badly with the PSP and Sony have been complete dicks to customer and developer alike. Oh yeah, totally unfounded.

And no, I don't like to see the mighty fall. I like the PS2 and was very critical of Nintendo during the Gamecube era. You should know to give me more credit than that, DW.

Unfounded hate? I was burned badly with the PSP and Sony have been complete dicks to customer and developer alike. Oh yeah, totally unfounded.

And no, I don't like to see the mighty fall. I like the PS2 and was very critical of Nintendo during the Gamecube era. You should know to give me more credit than that, DW.

I was making a general statement. Everyone's dogging Sony right now.

There are so many things wrong with that sentence I don't know where to start. Nobody is buying the PS3 for the Blu-Ray. It costs too much to bring "new people" to it. The Wii has the biggest appeal of all, it's cheap.

You may have misunderstood me.

If someone who has never played a game system before, is considering buying a blu-ray player, then they would consider the PS3, as it offers value to them, because it is a cheap Blu-Ray and also offers other functions.

I am not saying that this is 1000, 20,000 or even 50 people. What I am saying is that this sort of mindset will more than likely be similar in numbers to people who have never played a game system before and chose to, because the Wii has easier controls or seems "fun".

The Wii is not "cheap" to non gamers, it is cheap by comparison to its competition, but that doesn't mean it is cheap to someone who has never played game systems before. You still have to talk someone in to forking out $250 (or whatever the price is) to do something that they have NEVER done before. That is a big ask.

That is why I said the Wii will have the same effect on non-gamers as the PS3 will.

I suspect a few other people got burned by them too.

I've been burned by Nintendo, Sony, Sega, and Microsoft numerous times. It happens.

There's a big difference between someone that thinks Sony is going to fall, and someone that plainly wants Sony to fail. I was referring to the former.