System of the Current Generation

Missy

System of the Current Generation  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote looks like this;

1) 360 - The head start was HUGE. The library is there. Xbox Live got pimped, and it was already kickass as it was. Once the bigger HDDs come out and they start offering HD Movie downloads, it's all over.

2) DS - Cheap, it's got a growing catalog, and people like having a portable. I was dead set against the idea of a new Game Boy when this came out, and now I'm starting to warm up to the idea of owning one. Man, do I want Final Fantasy III and the new Super Mario Bros.

3) Wii - Still the best first-party games in the battle. Cheaper price point, with the aforementioned gimmick that brings in both gamers and non-gamers alike. I'll own one of these, once the library deepens a little bit.

4) PS3 - Cost-prohibitive, impossible to find, and there's nothing out for it that I'm even remotely interested in. But hey, it ships with Ricky Bobby!

5) PSP - Has already failed. If it weren't for Rockstar pushing out a new installment of Vice City, these things would almost be on the clearance rack for the holidays.

Yeah, the PSP is basically being saved by 3 or 4 really good games coming out every couple months or so. I basically want one for Silent Hill Origins and MGS: Portable Ops, so don't let the power of the occasional marque title go understated.

It's hard to say, although I think people overstate how badly the PSP is going. Last time I read, PSP sales are actually doing okay, it’s the games that just aren’t selling. I could go on for a hours to explain all the mistakes Sony has made since the PSP was released; Bizarre advertising, pushing movies ahead of games, eliminating the ability to put programs on the PSP (including those for emulation).

But honestly I still like my PSP, I don’t play handheld games enough to be burnt by the lack of games, so I just get the good titles that come out when I see them.

As I've said, I've never heard of any games that are really considered to be that great. I wasn't one of the people to jump on the it's a total failure band wagon, but the system just hasn't delievered in terms of top selling video games as it's console brother has. Currently the best games I can name off the top of my head are a puzzle game, it's sequel and two GTA games you will be able to purchase on the PS2 in the not too distant future. There might be others, but I can't name off anything. Sony just hasn't wowed anybody with their system since it launched and their sales have been mostly lack luster.

Maybe Sony just has too much to live up to with it's dominance over the console market, I actually expected a bigger fight to be thrown by Sony in the handheld market. They do have some critically acclaimed games, but nothing that really stands out as a system selling game. There's nothing about the PSP that seperates them from the it's console brother besides the MP3 features and purchasing mini dvd movies. Maybe they will at some point, but it's getting to a crucial point where the handheld needs to start doing something drastic before it joins the other hand held systems in their failed attempts to take over that martket from Nintendo.

I had a PSP but it had hardly any decent games for it. Sony were so concerned pushing all this great shit it could do, trying to make into the "walkman of the 21st century" that they forgot to give some decent games. Lumines was fun but I got tired of it, Metal Gear Acid was very good, but definitely not worth a system, and I really did love Liberty City Stories, but yet again, it's not system worthy. And... that was it. Three games. That's all it had. And that's why it sucks.

For two hundred bones, I expect my gameplayer to actually play games, not just keep saying "LOL BUT U CAN WATCH SPIDERMAN ON THE BUS!"

two GTA games you will be able to purchase on the PS2 in the not too distant future.

Liberty City Stories is already out for the PS2, but I've read several reports saying that Vice City Stories will not be ported. Supposedly, Rockstar needs all hands on deck for GTA4.

Ehhhh. Okay, so it has one exclusive GTA game. Guess that's something the PSP has. :happy:

Yeah, the PSP isn't so much "bad" as it's just a major letdown in comparision to the potential that it had. There's still time, but the DS is pretty clearly kicking its ass right now, and things aren't going to change until a price drop (which Sony's already confirmed isn't happening) and an influx of good software show up.

Can someone tell me why the PSP is supposedly so bad? I haven't played on one for about 18 months, but I loved it when I did, so I'm legitimately curious about what has happened to make it flop?

I've always wondered that too. The latest sales figures put the PSP 4 million units behind the DS in worldwide sales, which isn't that bad. I think we all can agree that the DS is the current leader in the handheld market, but the PSP is far from a flop or failure that most people peg it to be.

Can someone tell me why the PSP is supposedly so bad? I haven't played on one for about 18 months, but I loved it when I did, so I'm legitimately curious about what has happened to make it flop?

I've always wondered that too. The latest sales figures put the PSP 4 million units behind the DS in worldwide sales, which isn't that bad. I think we all can agree that the DS is the current leader in the handheld market, but the PSP is far from a flop or failure that most people peg it to be.

Where did you get that information? I find it hard to believe the DS is only beating the PSP by four million units.

Where did you get that information? I find it hard to believe the DS is only beating the PSP by four million units.

From each of the respective companies corporate webpages addressing their earnings.

Nintendo lists total units shipped at 26.82 million.

Sony lists total units shipped at 22.94 million.