Preacher on HBO

JackFetch

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Comics Continuum spoke to Mark Steven Johnson (Ghost Rider, Daredevil), who says that his adaptation of Garth Ennis' "Preacher" won't be happening at HBO.

"We were budgeting and everything and it was getting really close to going," Johnson said. "But the new head of HBO felt it was just too dark and too violent and too controversial. Which, of course, is kind of the point!

"It was a very faithful adaptation of the first few books, nearly word for word. They offered me the chance to redevelop it but I refused. I've learned my lesson on that front and I won't do it again. So I'm afraid it's dead at HBO."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7619

That sucks.

• 2 months later...
Columbia Pictures has picked up the film rights to Preacher, the popular 1990s Vertigo series, for an adaptation to be directed by Sam Mendes (upcoming Revolutionary Road).

The Hollywood Reporter says Neal Moritz and his Original Films are producing with Kickstart Productions' Jason Netter.

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher," which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon.

Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The project was previously set up as a one-hour series at HBO but was put into turnaround. Mark Steven Johnson wrote a pilot which Howard Deutch was attached to direct.

A previous movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7767

• 2 months later...
John August, who just two weeks ago lamented on his screenwriting blog that his long-gestating "Shazam!" project at Warners hit a roadblock, suddenly has plenty of irons in the fire.

August has booked a pair of gigs that will see him working with top-flight directors: He's set to write "Frankenweenie" for Tim Burton and Disney after first tackling the comic book adaptation "Preacher" for Sam Mendes and Columbia.

"Preacher" is based on the popular 1990s DC/Vertigo series created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. It tells the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher, given immense powers, who teams up with a former girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and sets out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

Neal Moritz is producing through his Original Films banner along with Kickstart Prods.' Jason Netter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...2dcf32e6f59715d

• 1 year later...
Director Sam Mendes has opted to direct the 23rd James Bond film, which means that he won’t be helming the big screen adaptation of Garth Ennis’ acclaimed Vertigo series Preacher. Mendes had been attached to the long-gestating Preacher project for over a year (see “Preacher Movie Back in Play”), but the Bond movie, which could start shooting as soon as June, is a major undertaking that conflicts directly with Producer Neil Moritz’s schedule for the Preacher movie.

Moritz told Collider.com that he was very happy with a screenplay by frequent Tim Burton-collaborator John August (see “Burton Collaborator to Write Preacher”). The good news for Preacher fans is that Moritz is pleased with the script he has and is looking for a director who can get filming underway on a Preacher movie early in 2011.

Source