Games on the DS

Bento

As far as I can tell, Final Fantasy III doesn't rely on the touch screen for gameplay. So if you like RPGs there's that.

As for games I'd like to see, Chrono Trigger is the only one on my wishlist right now. Then again, 3D updates to the entire 2D FF line would be nice too.

I'd like to see some games that don't rely on the gimmicky touch screen so much. I don't always feel like scribbling the stylus around.

I agree. Game-makers too often feel the need to use all of a system instead of just what they need to make a good game. I blame reviewers for this partially. How often do reviews take off points for games that (are good games but) don't use the full touch screen capabilities? It seems like a common point made by all reviewers that fit that build of DS games

I'd like to see some games that don't rely on the gimmicky touch screen so much. I don't always feel like scribbling the stylus around.

I agree. Game-makers too often feel the need to use all of a system instead of just what they need to make a good game. I blame reviewers for this partially. How often do reviews take off points for games that (are good games but) don't use the full touch screen capabilities? It seems like a common point made by all reviewers that fit that build of DS games

I HATE that. I don't mind the design at times because it does bring unique concepts like with Kirby Canvas Curse, which was a really great game. But I can't stand people bitching about how the touch screen isn't put to use at all times. The design is there for people who want to use it, it's not mandatory for you to use it. In some cases, it actually makes some great games bad, such as Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and it's stupid seal drawing to put away a enemy. I absolutely loved that game, but fucking hated having to draw a shitty seal just so I can move on to the next area. If you want to make things more difficult, make the boss harder. This makes me want to build my levels higher and work harder so I can finally beat him. The seals made me want to return the game when I first started dealing with them.

As for what games I'd like to see? An old school Metroid game. My Castlevania fix is being quenched and I have a Mega Man game. They all did fine, so why not give Samus another run in 2D?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm totally new to the series. Sad I know. I only have New Super Mario for my DS and I'm looking for new games that are worth picking up.

The Castlevania series is great set of games, as long as you don't take into account the 3D ones. Castlevania proved that not every game needs to be brought into 3D.

What cvskin said. Judging by how you're playing the new Mario Brothers game, you obviously don't mind if the game is a side scroller, and Castlevania really shines when it comes to those types. Lot's of RPG elements in it, plus a couple different endings so you'll definitely be playing the game for awhile trying to figure it out. So far I've discovered two and am trying to find out if there's another.

I'd highly reccomend picking the game up.

What cvskin said. Judging by how you're playing the new Mario Brothers game, you obviously don't mind if the game is a side scroller, and Castlevania really shines when it comes to those types. Lot's of RPG elements in it, plus a couple different endings so you'll definitely be playing the game for awhile trying to figure it out. So far I've discovered two and am trying to find out if there's another.

I'd highly reccomend picking the game up.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I'll pick it up this week. Any other games worth picking up?

It's different. It's very linear and more about design and story than actual gameplay. It reminded me of those oldschool point and click sierra quest games (which I loved), but even more linear. If you really want to play it, try to find it on the cheap on ebay or something.