Graphic Novel Library

Sion

Do the Hellboy TPB's follow any continuity or is each Trade self-contained? I just finished reading Seed of Destruction and I loved it. I don't know if I should read the Trade's in order or buy them as a see them at the comic book store. I don't want to be missing out on significant plot details if I just grab them in no particular order.

Do the Hellboy TPB's follow any continuity or is each Trade self-contained? I just finished reading Seed of Destruction and I loved it. I don't know if I should read the Trade's in order or buy them as a see them at the comic book store. I don't want to be missing out on significant plot details if I just grab them in no particular order.

Get them in order, its important to. It goes-

Seed of Destruction

Wake the Devil

Chained Coffin

Right Hand of Doom

Conquerer Worm

Strange Places

Although its right about Strange places that you can move onto the BPRD spinoff series.

Seed of Destruction

Wake the Devil

Chained Coffin

Right Hand of Doom

Conquerer Worm

Strange Places

Although its right about Strange places that you can move onto the BPRD spinoff series.

There are also, 2 trades called Wierd Tales which feature short stories by writer's and artists other than

Mignola.

Seed of Destruction

Wake the Devil

Chained Coffin

Right Hand of Doom

Conquerer Worm

Strange Places

There are also, 2 trades called Wierd Tales which feature short stories by writer's and artists other than

Mignola.

I would say that the wierd tales arn't essential continuity, hence me not including them. They are fun though, just not up to the regular book.

Seed of Destruction

Wake the Devil

Chained Coffin

Right Hand of Doom

Conquerer Worm

Strange Places

:D Thanks. By the way, Fray was awesome.....but now I'm sad it's done.

• 5 weeks later...

I know I'm not on here all the time, but I just wanted to say Fray is awesome, it's the tpb that got me back into comic books. Just wanted to mention that Joss revisits Melaka Fray for a couple pages in the TPB Tales of the Slayers.

I know I'm not on here all the time, but I just wanted to say Fray is awesome, it's the tpb that got me back into comic books. Just wanted to mention that Joss revisits Melaka Fray for a couple pages in the TPB Tales of the Slayers.

Thanks for returning the favor. I got Tales of the Vampires but never knew about Tales of the Slayers. I just ordered it, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Thanks for returning the favor. I got Tales of the Vampires but never knew about Tales of the Slayers. I just ordered it, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I think I liked about half the stories in Tales of the Slayers... but all around it's not bad but it's no Fray. How is Tales of the Vampires...I had heard some decent stuff about that. The regular Angel/Buffy comics are BAD. But I have faith in the new one produced by Joss.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Whedon ever make plans to turn fray into an ongoing or was it to be a one shot all along? The ending left the book wide open for an ongoing and there is more than enough fan support for it. I know he has had his hands full but this would be the one title that would make the top of my list every month if it were to be produced.

Did Whedon ever make plans to turn fray into an ongoing or was it to be a one shot all along? The ending left the book wide open for an ongoing and there is more than enough fan support for it. I know he has had his hands full but this would be the one title that would make the top of my list every month if it were to be produced.

I think Fray was just a short project for him, I don't think given the variety of his projects that he ever really plans to be held down with an ongoing. Astonishing X-men of course was a unique oppertunity but even so he's leaving to do other things already. I'm not sure that his run on Buffy will last past 20-25 issues. He's not a full-time comics writer.

Tales of the Vampire was quite good by the way elnino14, some of the usual mixed bag but an overall interesting series of stories held together by an underlying arc. Worthwhile in my opinion.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I think Fray was just a short project for him, I don't think given the variety of his projects that he ever really plans to be held down with an ongoing. Astonishing X-men of course was a unique oppertunity but even so he's leaving to do other things already. I'm not sure that his run on Buffy will last past 20-25 issues. He's not a full-time comics writer.

Wow, this was a while back but since it was bumped I wanted to mention how awesome it is that historical goodies mentioned in Fray are starting to happen as plots in Buffy Season 8, ie

the end of magic and the slayers role in that.

The regular Angel/Buffy comics are BAD.

they weren't all bad. I dug Brian Lynch's work on the various Spike series, most of the stuff in the first Buffy omnibus is pretty good especially The Origin, and there were a few others as well. I will agree though that there were definetly far less hits than there were misses.