Spider-Man Freebies

TheRetreater

just curious if it is happening to any of you other peeps.

for the past couple months reprinted issues of old-old Spider-Man tales have been coming with one of the local newspapers. it is stuff like the original electro story and the enforcers, the type of stuff that is in the first essentials volume. they split the story into two parts so the format is just a very thin comic. I assume much of the purpose is to help build hype for the movie.

anyone?

Yeah, we got them here in Chicago. In fact, several of my relatives saved issues for me. Eventually I had to ask them to stop because I don't need more clutter. Regardless, it was a really cool promotion which exposed Spider-Man, Marvel and comic books in general to literally millions of non-comic readers. Hopefully DC will follow with reprints of Superman and / or Batman (or maybe The Spirit).

just curious if it is happening to any of you other peeps.

for the past couple months reprinted issues of old-old Spider-Man tales have been coming with one of the local newspapers. it is stuff like the original electro story and the enforcers, the type of stuff that is in the first essentials volume. they split the story into two parts so the format is just a very thin comic. I assume much of the purpose is to help build hype for the movie.

anyone?

I'm sorry, I'm just a little surprised by the fact that Marvel is actually doing something intelligent to promote the comics when movies are coming out...

Yeah, we got them here in Chicago. In fact, several of my relatives saved issues for me. Eventually I had to ask them to stop because I don't need more clutter. Regardless, it was a really cool promotion which exposed Spider-Man, Marvel and comic books in general to literally millions of non-comic readers. Hopefully DC will follow with reprints of Superman and / or Batman (or maybe The Spirit).

I had three people saving them for me too. I had to ask them to stop as well since I'm not much of a collector and I already have all these tales in at least one other format. It would be great to see other characters show up like this, definately.

In DC's defense, they really don't need to. They bring out Batman and Superman movies. They really don't need to promote character awareness now do they?

Their movie promotions are just standard action movie stuff, which is what they should be towards the non-geek.

I only partially agree. They don't need to promote character awareness and neither does Marvel in the case of Spider-Man but they DO need to sell more comics and for any company whose licensing division is getting big budget movies made it is the job of the comic company is to take advantage of that and say "you like that? want more? read these."

In DC's defense, they really don't need to. They bring out Batman and Superman movies. They really don't need to promote character awareness now do they?

Their movie promotions are just standard action movie stuff, which is what they should be towards the non-geek.

I only partially agree. They don't need to promote character awareness and neither does Marvel in the case of Spider-Man but they DO need to sell more comics and for any company whose licensing division is getting big budget movies made it is the job of the comic company is to take advantage of that and say "you like that? want more? read these."

exactly. I don't remember much for distinct promotions for the first Spider movie and look how that blew up in the box office. Something like that is a result of the characters' saturation, similar to how the first Superman movie is heralded as a relative classic in and out of comic fandom. These promotions will help movies, certainly, but Marvel and DC being comic companies they should remember that the movies can help sell comics, not just that comics could possibly make good movies.

The point is: people are lazy. Seeing a Spider-man movie won't get a kid into a comic store, it'll get a kid into a Spidey Tshirt.

Spend a couple million dollars on a deal with Cineplex Odeon/Famous Players/Other bigname theatre conglomerate and put floppies and trades under the glass countertop at the ticket counter. Then, if people buy the book, they may be more likely to go to Amazon.com or to Borders or, God forbid, their LCS to buy more books.