Magneto

TheRetreater

A friend of a friend has been given an assignment where she is supposed to discuss real life controversy stemmed from fictional comic characters. It is supposed to be things like "fans found out the secret identity so DC changed it last minute to Hawk" and "DC Capt Marvel books needed to use a different title because of Marvel's Capt Marvel."

Her character for the class is Magneto.

I tossed her in the direction of Byrne fighting with Claremont (and I think Gruenwald) about turning Magneto into a straight-forward villain.

Also, the complicated mess and Quesada's involvement in the end of the Xorn nonsense.

Did Kirby and Lee fight over him at all?

Anything you guys can think of?

I tossed her in the direction of Byrne fighting with Claremont (and I think Gruenwald) about turning Magneto into a straight-forward villain.

Also, the complicated mess and Quesada's involvement in the end of the Xorn nonsense.

What did Joe have to do with Xorn?

Did Kirby and Lee fight over him at all?

Anything you guys can think of?

Not off the top of my head. From the start he was a villain. Hell, he used to whip the hell out of Toad. It wasn't until years later, decades really, when Marvel began to make him sympathetic.

I think he means the whole Magneto was dead, then, Xorn turned out to be Magneto, and finally it turned out that not only was Xorn an imposter Magneto, Magneto was still alive, and apparently Xorn wasn't even the real Xorn.

I apologize if this makes anyone's head explode :shocked:

I think he means the whole Magneto was dead, then, Xorn turned out to be Magneto, and finally it turned out that not only was Xorn an imposter Magneto, Magneto was still alive, and apparently Xorn wasn't even the real Xorn.

I apologize if this makes anyone's head explode :shocked:

It just makes me mad to think about how Morrison's run was treated after he left. Chuck Austen was given the duty of tying up his run? What a slap in the face!

Joe Q basically came out and said that pretty much everything from the Morrison run was up in the air and gave writers free reign to take or discard whatever they wanted and retcon the mess. I remember there being alot of angry fans on both sides and not the best of tensions between between Morrison and Marvel.

and yes, poor poor Austen.

Joe Q basically came out and said that pretty much everything from the Morrison run was up in the air and gave writers free reign to take or discard whatever they wanted and retcon the mess. I remember there being alot of angry fans on both sides and not the best of tensions between between Morrison and Marvel.

That's not just for Morrison's New X-Men run; that's how Joe feels about continuity in general. He'd rather have well-written stories over ones bogged down in continuity. The way he sees it, there's no reason to kill a story because it contradicts something that was written elsewhere. That's not to say all continuity is up for revision. Iconic stories, such as the origin of Spider-Man and death of Gwen Stacy, will remain unchained. But the death of Typeface or Microchip's origin, those can be rewritten because they didn't have a huge impact on the Marvel Universe and comic books in general.

Morrison's run may have been the best X-run in ages, but, despite what his fans may think, it's not immune to retconning.

That's not just for Morrison's New X-Men run; that's how Joe feels about continuity in general. He'd rather have well-written stories over ones bogged down in continuity. The way he sees it, there's no reason to kill a story because it contradicts something that was written elsewhere. That's not to say all continuity is up for revision. Iconic stories, such as the origin of Spider-Man and death of Gwen Stacy, will remain unchained. But the death of Typeface or Microchip's origin, those can be rewritten because they didn't have a huge impact on the Marvel Universe and comic books in general.

Morrison's run may have been the best X-run in ages, but, despite what his fans may think, it's not immune to retconning.

I thought it was awful, but that isn't the point. I bring up Morrison's run to my friend because I know Morrison was upset about Joe's reaction to it. Morrison hated that he would allow and even encourage people to alter the key facts of his story. Mainly that he fully intended Xorn to always be Magneto, period. Instead Xorn became some other mutant controlled by bacteria pretending to be Magneto.