The awesome video thread

Mr. Keith

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3O6KYPmEw, but it does a great job explaining evolution.

Great, now I'm angry at all the videos that one links to. I'm REALLY trying hard not to be some reactionary internet arguing git with some of those. You know what, nothing I say or they say is going to chance anyone's mind, but if I see one more person cite the existence of morality as evidence of intelligent design I'm going to go downstairs and smack my perfectly innocent housemates just so I have some way to let it all out.

^The whole issue is kind of a moot point for people on either side.^

One view would invalidate the other, and vice-versa. Science can't prove or disprove the existence of a god or his actions, and God's hypothetical actions would supersede natural science anyway, so there's no point in actually trying to argue one point or another. It's like the whole chicken-or-the-egg question.

^The whole issue is kind of a moot point for people on either side.^

One view would invalidate the other, and vice-versa. Science can't prove or disprove the existence of a god or his actions, and God's hypothetical actions would supersede natural science anyway, so there's no point in actually trying to argue one point or another. It's like the whole chicken-or-the-egg question.

The evolutionary theory has its flaws. That I cannot deny. But the people who relish in pointing them out are the same ones who blindly believe in a celestial bogeyman. That always boggles my mind.

The evolutionary theory has its flaws. That I cannot deny. But the people who relish in pointing them out are the same ones who blindly believe in a celestial bogeyman. That always boggles my mind.

Calling God a celestial bogeyman is like calling Evolution "monkeys turning into people." It's a twisted version of the actual theory/belief.

They wouldn't call it "blind faith," either. It's like a personal form of science: one sees certain aspects of the world, and draws conclusions. The idea of a Judeo-Christian god is reliant upon the idea that he's essentially on a higher plane of existence (or, in sci-fi terms, an alternate/higher dimensional plane), but communicates with people in a personal fashion. Genesis states that God created mankind so that he could have fellowship with other individuals, and many Christians maintain that the reason God doesn't normally deal with actual solid empirical proof is because his relationship with mankind is supposed to be a personal one, and not a generalized fact-based one.

Every philosophy has its own set of pre-assumptions about the world, and every person has his or her own philosophy. There is no such thing as a completely unbiased person.

(This is likely the wrong thread to have this discussion, fascinating as it is)