The awesome video thread

Mr. Keith

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Piracy is nothing like loaning. When you loan something, at some point, it has to be given back. If it's not, the person that originally had it no longer does. There is no consequence to "loaning" something that can be copied an infinite number of times.

2) Most authors don't sell nearly as well as he does.

3) Books as an industry are moving to an all-digital format. I'm watching it happen at work every day. Soon enough, there won't be hardcovers for any but the most established authors, like, for example, Neil Gaiman. Putting a pirated e-book on your Kindle offers the exact same experience as paying for one, and there's no compulsion to get the real physical version at that point, since there isn't one.

4) All he's doing is encouraging a bunch of self-entitled kids that were going to steal shit already to even further defend their habits as noble or right.

Everyone pirates shit. Fine. Don't make excuses and pretend it's right or that you're doing it for any reason other than not wanting to pay for it.

Books are going through the same thing music did. The way the industry has done business just won't work in the digital age. Self publishing is the future as big publishers are going the way of the dodo, but you have to give people a reason to want to give you money. That means lower prices(where you keep more of the money) and being accessible to your fans. Some people will always steal. That's just the way humans are.

I would never have thought books would go electric to the same degree as music did, but for the past couple of quarters, Amazon's Kindle sales have been more than their physical sales, so I guess people are definitely on board the digital bandwagon. From a point of efficiency, I would love to own a digital book reader/library. But I like books, they display well and with me spending most of my professional life in front of a computer screen, they offer a break from looking at an LCDm regardless of the soft light, etc nature of the Kindle.

She was whining about how apparently people want to keep her to female-aimed cartoons and saying that they were a ghetto this morning on Twitter, and I ended up engaging her and pretty much calling her out on her recent lack of passion. And she completely missed the point of what I was saying.

She was whining about how apparently people want to keep her to female-aimed cartoons and saying that they were a ghetto this morning on Twitter, and I ended up engaging her and pretty much calling her out on her recent lack of passion. And she completely missed the point of what I was saying.

Not to sound like a dick, but wasn't that why they hired her? To cover the female-aimed cartoons? I don't really care what she covers, as long as she can act like she gives a shit, and actually do a proper analysis/review of the thing she's covering. Like with the Pixar/Dreamworks thing.

I'm seriously tempted to make some awful Tweet on how we're all totes hellbent on oppressing her, but I'm not going to.

And stuff like this sometimes is why I don't call myself a feminist. There's the nice sane ones, and the ones who are convinced that everyone is trying to zomgopress them cause they have boobs.