Machete

JackFetch

"Danny Trejo surprised and pleased fans by announcing that he will definitely be making a feature length film of "Machete," the fake trailer that opens "Grindhouse." At this point, even if The Weinstein Company did not plan to move forward, who's going to say no to Danny Trejo?

"That's going to be a blast," Trejo bragged. "They're going to make that. In fact, call Bob Weinstein and Harvey and tell them that I said so."

"Machete" could even be Robert Rodriguez's next movie. "They were going to try to make 'Sin City [2]' before 'Machete' but now they want to do 'Machete' first. Oh yeah, oh yeah, they're going to make that. That's a definite."

With a half hour of footage already shot and Rodriguez sitting on the script for years, it should not take long to complete "Machete." "It's kind of amazing. I think Robert Rodriguez kind of planned it that way because he told me about 'Machete' five years ago.Robert wants to make that into a feature and I said, 'Okay, let's do it. I got the time.' So it's going to be a lot of fun."

Trejo is still attached to "Sin City 2," but Rodriguez has not told him what he would play. "I have no idea. Maybe I'll beat up Marv. I'm just waiting to say yes. They haven't started. I think they want to do 'Machete' before they do 'Sin City 2.'"

There is also talk of releasing "Machete" in time with the "Grindhouse" DVD, but Trejo was less specific on those details. "I'm not sure what they want to do with that. I think they're going to release the DVD with 'Grindhouse' and then put 'Machete' out there. 'Machete' wouldn't be that hard to do.""

It's amazing that a man with his background can become a cult star.

• 2 years later...

From AICN:

“They just fucked with the wrong Mexican!” I saw the AFM sizzle reel for the feature… Lindsay Lohan in a nun’s habit? Robert DeNiro as the targeted politician? Jessica Alba as the hotness? Steven Seagal!?! Michelle Rodriguez with a big gun and an eye patch? Co-directed by Robert Rodriguez and Ethan Maniquis and based on the Grindhouse trailer, Machete has to be one of two things. Fucking awesome or fucking fun. If it’s great it’ll be an equal mixture of both. I saw Danny Trejo swinging from window to window using a man’s intestines, so it has a chance.