Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Or it could be really bad, personally I would rather have seen a Knights of the Old Republic type show or one set after Return

Although a Star Wars show written by Kring and Co would be awesome

I agree with everything you've said. But it leans towards the good or me as long as it means that Lucas is staying away from writing duties.

Or it could be really bad, personally I would rather have seen a Knights of the Old Republic type show or one set after Return

Although a Star Wars show written by Kring and Co would be awesome

I agree with everything you've said. But it leans towards the good or me as long as it means that Lucas is staying away from writing duties.

A show with the Star Wars universe centering around minor characters can be fun, especially since they won't be handicapped by trying to make it about the major players who are pretty set in their mythology.

The fact its set between eps 3 and 4 is my real problem, anything written has to conform with what already has been done in the star wars universe.

The writers of Heroes said in Behind the Elicpse that writing the final ep of Heroes was really hard because of all the visions they had Peter having, it meant they had to construct the show around those visions which proved harder than they thought it would.

So throw in a lazy writer or two or the guys writing Lost and there could be problems.

• 2 months later...

Finally some news.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/lucas-wars-TV/070920-01

TV Guide: Tell us about it.

Lucas: Well it's basically like Star Wars [in that it] takes place between, obviously, [the films] Episode II [Attack of the Clones] and Episode III [Revenge of the Sith], but it's the same kind of action. Unfortunately, it doesn't fall into the realm of what animation [typically] is, which is either adult, kind of off-color humor or kiddie stuff. This is, like Star Wars, sort of in between those two things. It's a lot of battle stuff, and it's obviously the Clone Wars, so it's a war picture. So it's kind of a PG-13 animated TV series, which is something that has never been done before and obviously doesn't fit in any of the conventional slots that these things fall into. In that, it's very different, and I think it's very exciting. It's got a very, very sophisticated look to it. It's very much like the features. We're still trying to figure out how to put it on the air.

TV Guide: What about your Star Wars live-action series for TV?

Lucas: Yes, I'm working on that. We're just going to start writing it in about a month from now, start doing scripts for it.

TV Guide: And where will that live in the Star Wars continuum relative to Clone Wars and relative to the films?

Lucas: Well, Clone Wars has got all the characters in it — Yoda and Anakin and Obi Wan and the Emperor and all that — so it's basically the movie. The live-action [series] is not the movie. It's the Star Wars universe, but it's characters from the saga who were [previously] minor, and it follows their stories. It's set between [movie episodes] III and IV, when the Empire has taken over. It's like Episode IV in that the Emperor and Darth Vader are heard about — people talk about them — but you never see them because it doesn't take place where they actually are. There are stormtroopers and all that, but there are no Jedis. It's different, but I think it's very exciting because I get to explore a part of that universe that I haven't been able to explore. Once you have a saga, it's got a lot of requirements because it's about a particular [thing] — in this case, Darth Vader — and so it's his story from the time he's 10 to the time he died. You really can't go off that track because that's the story. Whereas now, I can make a left turn on 10th Street and go down there and see what's going on.

That live-action action show sounds awesome! They are doing a hundred episodes of each one. He is not using the conventional way of doing a series. He's greenlighting filming all episodes before he even has a network to put it on. He's basically saying someone will pick them up, and if they cancel it, he'll just move it somewhere else. Oh George, you never did play by the established rules.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Rumours about the pre-production of Star Wars, the live action series, to be shot in Australia, have been confirmed by several inside sources.

The quality and style of writing that will be used will be of the highest quality, and local, and writers will be sourced from outside traditional Science Fiction shows. Several big names within the Australian industry (including writers from the Award-winning Love My Way and the Award-winning Secret Life of Us) have been approached by Star Wars uber-producer, Rick McCallum.

Love My Way and Secret Life of Us can be characterised by the focus on relationships and emotional landscapes (traditional 'chick shows', if you will). Bringing this element into the world of Star Wars sees a marked departure of the final three films and animated Clone Wars, where the primary audience was children.

This throws the new series into a whole new spotlight, and should excite fans of the Star Wars universe looking towards more adult fare.

http://www.scifitv.com.au/Blog/2009/07/sta...s-gets-serious/

The Star Wars Wikia page has a bunch of info about the series:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Live-Action_TV_Series

If it's anything like what they've said in the past, what with the Galactic Civil War and the bounty hunters, it could be awesome.

Oh, and last week GL let it slip that he's working on a SECOND animated series.

Lucas... is working on literally 40 screenplays for television including the development of a second Star Wars animated series.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/G...cago_123541.asp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Steve Sansweet officially acknowledged the Live Action TV series and gave a rough timetable and hinted strongly at a bit of casting news (though the hint will make it constitute as rumour at best).

First: Pre-production on the show will be starting soon and go through until the new year. The writers have been working for a while and, according to Sansweet, no one knows anything about the story for sure except George Lucas, Rick McCallum and the writers.

He also gave 2012 as a reasonably firm date for seeing the project on the air. It is a one hour format drama show and will air weekly.

As far as the casting news. An audience member asked about Daniel Logan (who portrayed Boba Fett in Attack of the Clones) and his possible participation in the show reprising his role. Sansweet remained cryptic, reminded everyone that no major casting deals have been made with anyone but said (and I quote), "A couple of years ago Rick McCallum said that he would consider it, and I would expect news from Daniel's camp in the not-too-distant future." He didn't say what that news would be, but it seemed to me to insinuate that he was the front runner for the part. Which would please me.

He also reminded the audience that anything other than what he told us today that anyone read on the Internet was probably not true.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2730-Star-Wars-Examiner~y2009m9d6-DragonCon-Star-Wars-Live-Action-series-news?#comments

• 6 months later...
Lucasfilm Animation is developing a "Star Wars" animated comedy series.

Better to have fans laughing with you than at you, I guess.

After three unintentionally funny prequels, Lucasfilm is teaming with Seth Green and Matthew Senreich ("Robot Chicken") for a comedic look at the "Star Wars" universe.

In a statement, Green said:

“The ‘Star Wars’ universe is so dense and rich; it’s crazy to think that there aren’t normal, mundane everyday problems in a world so well-defined. And it’s even crazier to think of what those problems might be, since it’s all set in a galaxy far, far away. What do these characters do when they’re not overthrowing Empires?”

No network yet. And really, how about making some progress on that live action series instead?

The show will be produced by Jennifer Hill, with "Simpsons" writer Brendan Hay also on board.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/04/lucasfilm-developing-star-wars-comedy-series.html

What the fuck?

The bad Star Wars outweighs the good Star Wars now

I don't think so. The Clone Wars is pretty good (for the most part).

One of the things that I hate about geek culture is the way that everything is either completely "good" or "terrible."

The prequel films aren't all that amazing, but they're not terrible. They're, at most, a jumbled mess of good and bad elements. I mean, if you go by the general geek opinion, The Phantom Menace is the worst blight to ever hit cinema, but it's still got a great podrace sequence, awesome lightsaber fight sequences, Darth Maul, and Liam Neeson.