Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's...fine, pretty standard plot establishment and snippets of the main characters. Can't say it made me more excited to see it. There isn't a shot as memorable as the one of Rey driving by the crashed Star Destroyer, and the end is just a reprise of "Chewie...we'e home."

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Lucas told us Han Solo was married to a Wookiee but that we couldn’t mention that because it would be controversial."

"They FedExed me the script. The first thing I looked at was, the first 10 minutes was done with basically no dialogue from the actors. It was strictly Chewbacca sounds. The sound effects people would use bear sounds for the voicing. "

"The interesting thing is, the day after the special aired was the day of the Jonestown Massacre. It was just a bad time for everyone."

Okay here are some thoughts

Even if you didn't know about the behind the scenes stuff there are times where it feels like chunks of plot are missing. Like sometimes things go from point A to point C or things are under cooked. For instance when Krennic seems to just randomly go to Darth Vader's castle, or like how there is an ultra militant faction of the rebellion and also a group who somehow think a rebellion involves no fighting whatsoever somehow. It's not really fleshed out.

Also you gotta think Jimmy Smits was brought in for more than like 5 lines

Speaking of Vader's castle when did he move in with Sauron?

Also on Vader I have a new found appreciation for David Prowse. Whoever was in the suit in Vader's first scene, well first scene in the suit, his body acting was terrible and the suit didn't even looked it fit. Kinda reminded me of what Robocop looks like whenever it is someone other than Peter Weller.

The Tarkin effect worked for me, but the actor's voice was so different than Peter Cushing that that is what took me out of it.

On the other hand Princess Leia looked awful

Why were Threepio and Artoo in this for 8 seconds.

Liked the core Rouge One group a lot. Especially Donnie Yen and his life partner. The geek in me popped for the mention of the Whills.

Mads' character needed more fleshing out too.

The battle in the end was awesome. Although I am not sure it constitutes the "first victory" the crawl in A New Hope describes.

I liked that Disney let them kill everyone.

I thought the movie was amazing. I like it better than TFA. I went into it knowing next to nothing but the overall plot and had low expectations. 

I don't see how Disney did such a cartoony job with Lea and Tarkin in this, but RDJ looked amazing in Civil War de-aged. All the weird extra face movements made me think I playing a video game.

Speaking of Lea, why was she hanging out in a ship in the middle of a huge space battle?

I loved that they brought in characters that we know for cameos. It's fan service but the whole plot to this movie is fan service so I don't care.

Where was all the Bothans dying? Mon Mothma is a liar.

Where was Vader's house? It was the only planet that didn't have a title on screen. I shouldn't have to google it when the other ten planets in the movie were all labeled.

It's the only Lava planet in star wars. Also it doesn't matter.

Also young RDJ looked great in Avengers because it was a  direct overlay on his face, the expressions weren't borrow and we're authentically his, and his face isn't too different from then in terms of size and shape. Harder to do that here.

This isn't perfect, but I think this is on the same level as Empire, tbh. 

Leia was okay because it was thirty seconds tops. Cushing was just super rough, and probably could've just been kept in back profile/had a lot of those parts written out, tbh.

Lava planet was Mustafar, same design as from Revenge of the Sith. 

I get the sense that there was more in a longer cut with Forrester's character/splinter militia, but they chose to forego it for the run time. Would be interested to see how that goes in the extended edition that's inevitably going to be released.

I honestly was surprised that A) they let them kill everyone off and B ) that they didn't go for a forced romance between Jyn and Diego Luna.

The initial set up of the situation (aka the first half hour or so) was a bit rough, but once it got properly going (aka when Snarkbot and Donnie showed up), it went above and beyond. The battles were great, and even though some of Jyn's emotional beats were a bit rushed, it was great to watch everyone's basic beats grow into full blown heroic arcs, and the message was one that we honestly need right now.

Snarkbot and Donnie stole the entire movie. Would watch just for them again.

Conceptually it's actually exactly what I wanted it to be and a real shot I'm the arm to the universe beyond its tell tale cyclical family/jedi based storytelling style. I'm really happy so many really liked it and I hope it'll inspire more risks with the property.

And yet there was something missing for me. Maybe I just suspected the ending from the start so didn't get attached deliberately but the characters fell a little flat. The pilot was probably the one I liked most beyond the droid, without whom this might have been a rather too serious film.

Maybe it was the 3d giving me a headache. Maybe it was the constant push pull of a film trying to stand out from Star Wars as a story type and yet leaning so heavily upon it for reference points. I'm not saying it was bad, I liked it, it just never reached the emotional highs and lows of TFA. I liked Rey and Fin and Poe more than their analogue female protagonist/imperial turn coat/Rebel officer in Rogue One. I was more interested in Kylo struggling with purpose than Krennics search for credit. The side characters I liked but not more than Han and Chewie. 

I'll have to see it again.

Also did Vaders outfit look kinda...cheap?

Edited by Stavros

Conceptually it's actually exactly what I wanted it to be and a real shot I'm the arm to the universe beyond its tell tale cyclical family/jedi based storytelling style. I'm really happy so many really liked it and I hope it'll inspire more risks with the property.

And yet there was something missing for me. Maybe I just suspected the ending from the start so didn't get attached deliberately but the characters fell a little flat. The pilot was probably the one I liked most beyond the droid, without whom this might have been a rather too serious film.

Maybe it was the 3d giving me a headache. Maybe it was the constant push pull of a film trying to stand out from Star Wars as a story type and yet leaning so heavily upon it for reference points. I'm not saying it was bad, I liked it, it just never reached the emotional highs and lows of TFA. I liked Rey and Fin and Poe more than their analogue female protagonist/imperial turn coat/Rebel officer in Rogue One. I was more interested in Kylo struggling with purpose than Krennics search for credit. The side characters I liked but not more than Han and Chewie. 

I'll have to see it again.

Also did Vaders outfit look kinda...cheap?

Yeah I mentioned the way Vader looked when he was talking to Krennic. The suit looked like it didn't fit the actor and the actor wearing it kinda sucked.

I kept noticing the neck, the joint where the helmet ended. I get its an exact version of the original but couldnt they have lit and shot it to focus on the iconic features? He should be imposing and contrast against his surroundings. Instead there he was a little flat and shot from his own head height.

Also young RDJ looked great in Avengers because it was a  direct overlay on his face, the expressions weren't borrow and we're authentically his, and his face isn't too different from then in terms of size and shape. Harder to do that here.

It was also an overlay onto an actors face so there is no excuse for how bad it looked. I've seen better CGI in video games. They should have just recast the role like they did with Mon Mothma. Nobody would have cared. 

Watched this last night and thought it was pretty great. As a war movie it really did what it set out to do. The only real issue I had (apart from Tarkin, who was the literal dictionary definition of "the uncanny valley") was how little I felt invested in most of the characters. Felicity Snow was great, Alan Tudyk was great, Blind Master and his Wookiee/sidekick/brother/lover/whatever the hell he was were great, but I walked out of there otherwise unable to tell you who most of the character names were; that's how little I cared about most of them.

To wit: Diego Luna did precisely nothing for me whatsoever, and as we left the theater, I was telling Wendee as much. I couldn't remember the character's name, so I called him "Captain Eurotrash". She looked at me quizzically, then realized who I was talking about and said "Oh, wait. Did you mean No Dameron?"

Then we high-fived.