Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

You know, I never really thought about it until now but Leia gets captured in all three movies in the original trilogy and has to get saved. Hell, fucking Amidala has a better track record than her. I suddenly have to rethink who I use as an example of a kick-ass female protagonist in cinema that everyone's heard of. Fuck...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Princess Leia is a stupid character. Literally all she does is shoot stormtroopers and choke Jabba to death. Otherwise she only exists to get captured and be bitchy to everyone. You want a positive female hero, look at Ahsoka in The Clone Wars.

Yeah, but you don't get one without the other. To defend Leia, in the first film she's running the plans for the death star to the rebels despite being an Imperial senator and a very public figure. When Luke and Han free her she has to save them almost straight away. Then at the end she obviously couldn't do more because she's not a pilot.

She doesn't do much in Empire but then again she's neither a pilot or technician, so her role on the falcon is limited, although when she is captured it's alongside everyone else, so lets not pretend she's any less useless than Chewie in that situation.

In Jedi she pilots a speeder like a badass and she's part of the rebel strike force. Plus she takes the badass step of disguising herself as a bounty hunter and facing down Jabba with a thermal detonator.

Just saying, for a major female character at the time she's much more capable and confident than most.

edit ACTUALLY thinking about it a little more Leia is totally fucking screwed by gender-roles and the Jedi. God-damn Ben and Yoda are like "Ok, we need to train Luke to be a Jedi, and maybe if he gets straight up slaughtered we can use his sister as a backup, but until then we're just going to keep that shit quiet. You know, because we'd rather train this whiny pathetic moisture farmer and layabout than his fucking TWIN SISTER who is already a senator and leader of the rebel alliance and appears to have a god damn clue about what's at stake in the universe."

Any sane person would be at least sending them both off to Dagobah. I mean, the moment Luke lands Yoda should just be like "dude, I'm going to train you in some basic shit but you should definitely go grab your sister to come down here so I can train her too"

That's not true, he's always told us he had all nine films planned out from the start. That's why Disney can go straight into production, because the script for Star Wars VII: The Dark Of The That's No Moon That's A Space Station has been in a locked safe of his since 1976.

See, there are parts of the Internet where this would be a totally serious argument.

• 4 weeks later...