Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hidden Content

Speaking of being the Force sensitive one. How exactly is it that someone who up until that point had no idea that she was even remotely approaching being force sensitive, manage to:
a) Block another, considerably more experienced force user - even if it was Emo Vader
b) mind-manipulate a
stormtrooper - something we've only seen Obi-Wan do
c) manage to use a lightsaber well enough - or indeed at all - to beat Emo Vader. And I don't buy the excuse that he was bleeding out from Chewie's bow shooter. She'd never even seen one before finding it in the chest.

For that matter, how the hell did Fin manage to use a lightsaber, when it was pretty much established very early on that he can only use a blaster?

I would say:

A. Even though Kylo Ren is clearly very powerful and has been trained in the ways of The Force, Rey might be even more powerful despite her lack of training.

B. See A. Plus, it took her three tries.

C. This, however, had me head-scratching, too. Yeah, she tapped into The Force via quick, mid-battle meditation, but something has to be going on there. Otherwise that's a problem.

As for Finn: Since we saw that one Stormtrooper not only defend himself against a lightsaber, but also deftly use a saber-like weapon, swordwork might be part of the new Stormtrooper conditioning / training.

In addition to the great acting, I predict this being a Greatest Hits compilation of the Star Wars movies would make this much more rewatchable for some. Not that the original trilogy isn't endlessly entertaining, but this has everything in a nice little package. 

I mean, I could do with more of Mark Hamill, but hey we can't win all the time.

Maybe a spoiler, maybe not, but I'll hide it anyway:

I don't think it's a plot hole that someone who isn't Force sensitive can use a lightsaber. People have been using swords in real life all through human history, and one would think that would be the case in Star Wars also. They just wouldn't be nearly as proficient with it as a Jedi or Sith. Heck, I could use a lightsaber if they existed. 

Yeah, that was my issue. Luke was hugely powerful in the Force, and he was hopeless with the lightsaber in the first movie, barely managed to not die in

Empire after having received some training, and only really could be called proficient in Jedi. Rey just instinctively knows how to pick up a saber for the first time and fight with it because she's strong in the Force? Admittedly, Kylo Ren hasn't finished his own training and is bleeding from being gutshot, but I questioned it.

^Batten down the hatches!

Criticism on Fin's character has (inevitably) began sprouting up online. While some I can definitely see may make him problematic

like the fact that he doesn't have a name and is given one

others I feel is knee-jerk, lazy criticism born from an honest need to not have any problematic black leads in films. It's simultaneously understandable and frustrating.