Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

Why do any of this? It's not like anyone gave a shit that Ewoks didn't blink. All it does it take you out of the movie, the same as the first time he re-did these things.

Because he wants to tweak it until he has what he wants the Star Wars films to be. That or with every new addition, he can put out a new version of the films, that people, no matter how much they complain, will end up buying.

The only ones I bought, or will ever buy, were the original versions. I can't be the only one.

EDIT: Just watched all those scenes from the link above. The only necessary change - maybe - is the CGI Yoda in 'Phantom Menace.' Everything else makes the movie a bit worse, honestly.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently a lot of the changes to the sounds were done by the sound guy because he was never happy with certain effects, and since they had to do so much work getting it to Blu-Ray he took the opportunity to change the stuff he didn't like. Some lines were changed also, which doesn't make sense to me. Why change one word from Biggs to Wedge?

The sound guy? Matt Wood? He's pretty much right under Ben Burtt as the best sound designer in the world. From a technical standpoint, any and all "changes" are definitely for the better. The dialogue (and the Krayt dragon yell) were all ordered by George, though.

I'd be snagging this day one if (A) I weren't a poor college student, and (B) if I didn't have a wedding to go to that day. Funny story, though: the bride and groom at the wedding are using Han and Leia figures on top of their cake.

Also, the Clone Wars season 4 premiere is that night. Gah.

• 3 months later...
The bad news for fans eagerly anticipating the live action "Star Wars" series is that not much has changed since word broke last June that the massive production is currently on hold, awaiting costs to drop to a point that will make the FX-heavy undertaking financially feasible. Producer Rick McCallum is hoping that won't be too far off, however, and today told IGN that the show even has a working title: "Star Wars: Underworld."

"It's underneath what's going on," he reiterated about the series' focus, "It's the criminals and the gangs. The guys who are running Wall Street, basically. The guys who are running the United States."

Even if the series is a few more years away, McCallum says there's no risk in the scripts become dating and that the delay can only make the show stronger.

"They're timeless," he explains. "They take place between Episode III and Episode IV. That 20 year period when Luke is growing up. It's not about Luke, but it's about that period when the Empire is trying to take things [over]."

I just saw the trailer for The Phantom Menace in 3D in front of Beauty and the Beast tonight. It was surprisingly subtle with the 3D; aside from a few brief moments, I actually had to pay really close attention to even notice the effect. It was like someone turned the 3D dial down to about 30% compared to every other trailer I saw. If it's accurate to the actual movie, then it looks like these re-releases are really just an excuse to put Star Wars in theaters again, and there's not a lot that's different. I approve.

• 4 weeks later...
There was a recent interview with George Lucas that I'm torn on. On one hand, he pretty much sums up all the problems with SOPA and does it in such a way where it makes sense. On the other, he's arguing that Greedo always show first despite, you know, there being evidence on film that Han did and you writing that novelization of your work that says Han shot first. And the printed screenplay that says Han shot first.

It's interesting. I was on the Han-shot-first bandwagon for years, but then if you actually look at the original cut of the film, it doesn't really show what happened. We know Han pulled his blaster and at least one shot was fired, but the only evidence we have that Han shot first is that Greedo's dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWoTWd_nRw

I'm not saying that GL is 100% right on this one, but it's possible that he actually did intend for it not to have been the way it was perceived. In the Blu-Ray cut, they actually fire at the same time.

I saw The Phantom Menace in 3D at midnight on Thursday; I wrote up a semi-review last night.

• 2 weeks later...