One More Day SPOILERS

ragernok2002

Overall I dig it, except for the stars on his shoulders. The dark sleeves/pants are a nice touch and add to that whole notion of 'the bat symbol/skull/star is a target' thing.

It's just so different, I'm a bit of a bitch when it comes to change so this is going to take awhile to get used to.

The new look, the pistol, the darker feel, I'm not sour on Cap at all, in fact I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I was going to LOVE the new Spiderman and hate Cap but it's the other way around.

The first issue for the 'new' Captain America was moody, down to earth, back to basics kind of Cap story which made for a good read.

You know, compared to a certain wallcrawler's identity being wiped from the population.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you liked this issue of Cap, make sure to get the trades that came before. In order, they are:

- Captain America: Winter Soldier, volumes one and two

- Captain America: Red Menace, volumes one and two

- Captain America: Civil War

- Captain America: The Death of Captain America, volumes one and two

Ed Brubaker has been knocking this comic out of the park!

See, what I'm wrestling with is trades vs. single issue.

I LOVE getting the trade because it's all there in one fell swoop. No tape to pull off a bag, no comic boxes to lug around, it fits neatly on my bookshelf.

A comic book is , hell, a comic book!

There's just something satisfying about grabbing a big ass long box, opening it and seeing 402 issues of Avengers vol. 1 in utter and complete order.

1 to 402. Bam.

After going to that comic shop today I'm afraid that I might have to swear off trades.

Just got done with Brand New Day, is it too early to discuss that without spoilers? After reading that two page spread I had a question or two.

While it's nice seeing a run of comics sitting inside a long box, trades are less expensive. At the comic shop, six issues of any series priced $2.99 per issue will run you $17.94, whereas a trade of the same six issues will cost anywhere between $9.99 and $16.99.

Also consider that trades can be displayed nicely on a shelf. Comics, even bagged comics, look sloppy inside those boxes.

True, and given the amount I used to spend on comics just buying them in trade makes more sense anyhow.

Consider this though, if you're like me you used to make that weekly/biweekly trek to your local comic shop where, upon entering, a friendly shopkeep would reach for a cubby marked 'Y' for 'Yoda' and bring out a stack of new releases.

While a trade is cheaper it just seems so impersonal to stroll into a barnes and noble and pick one up, you know? There's just something a bit more fan-boyish about going to the shop and getting your comics in monthly installments.

Like today. Spent 30$ and got Thor 1, One Last Day/Brand New Day, Captain America, Batman and the Outsiders and for fun I dove into back issues like a champ and got a few nifty things like New Warriors #1 and Atom #1

Honestly, of everything I bought today I enjoyed the Atom the most. Any idea why Byrne was on board for only three issues?

Overall, I'm not satisfied at all with the state of new comics so this buying spree from today isn't going to become a habit, I just wanted to pick up Spiderman and see what the buzz was all about.

God damn it was bad.

Real, real bad.

Clone Spidey bad.

Going into the comic shop and rifling through back issues and grabbing this week's trades definitely has a visceral feeling that walking into Border's and buying a trade that reprints material from a year ago lacks. The comic shop lends itself to a certain excitement. "Yay! The new Three-Legged Goat Boy is here! I've been waiting all month for this!" Also, with floppies you get the buzz about what's happening next month, where is this storyline going, all that. That absolutely can't be denied.

However, floppies in the end will run you on average almost double what the eventual trade will cost. That's not insignificant.

At the end of the day, you figure out which is more important to you. For me personally, comics are too expensive to buy indiscriminately anymore, and I wind up waiting for the trade. By which time, I usually know what happens.

Any idea why Byrne was on board for only three issues?

He was either behind schedule or there were creative differences, I can't recall.

Though I fully agree there's something special about the shopkeep handing you a stack of comics, they can order trades for you. So there's really no need to make a trip to the impersonal mega-bookstore for your collections.

As Dan said, it boils down to what's more important to you: keeping up with the Internet chatter or saving a few bucks. I'm a broke bastard, so trades win. Hell, even if I wasn't broke, I'd still buy trades for two reasons:

01. I like to read complete stories in one sitting, not a chapter at a time for six months.

02. Trades are easier to sell on eBay.