Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with Zack Snyder is his movies make for gorgeous, exciting trailers, only to be followed by, you know, the actual experience of watching Sucker Punch.

I'm optimistic but not totally sold.

For me, the trailer for Sucker Punch was too good. After seeing it I decided that there was no way the film could live up to the sheer crystalised purest awesomeness of the trailer, so I wasn't going to bother, because it could only disappoint me.

This looks very pretty, and very dramatic, almost heavily so. I might see it at some point, but right now, this just isn't singing out to me as THIS IS A SUPERMAN MOVIE AND IT IS AWESOME AND YOU SHOULD SEE IT ALREADY.

This. I hope that by the next trailer there's more Superman-y action, kinda like how the TDKR trailers progressed.

I'm reminded of the WFP review of the STAS episode "The Main Man", when Superman fought Lobo. Mike's comment on the episode was that it was so much fun, that being big science fiction action. In my opinion (and I'll be the first to admit that it might just be mine), a Superman movie should be that first and foremost. If it isn't, then all the great writing in the world will still leave it falling a bit flat. So far, I haven't seen that yet in these trailers.

It seems like most of the marketing for Man of Steel is there to counter the mainstream perception of Superman being a goofy cartoon character. Thus far, it seems to be working, as a lot of non-comics fans have said they're surprised to be so interested in a Superman movie.

If they throw in a frakton of flying/punching into the marketing right before release, they can keep the geek crowd happy too.

It seems like most of the marketing for Man of Steel is there to counter the mainstream perception of Superman being a goofy cartoon character. Thus far, it seems to be working, as a lot of non-comics fans have said they're surprised to be so interested in a Superman movie.

If they throw in a frakton of flying/punching into the marketing right before release, they can keep the geek crowd happy too.

If it works, I'll be happy too. I'm not saying I think it looks terrible. I just want Superman to be Superman, and not The Red and Blue Blur.

This is the Superman movie I want to see. I don't want to see nonstop action, I dont want to see forced comedy. Those two things are part of what ruined The Avengers for me. Everyone wants to see this be more like The Avengers, or more like The Dark Knight. Am I the only one who doesn't mind seeing something new? I don't want to see the same movie over and over with different superheros.

But I admit I'm in the minority. It seems like everyone is criticizing the trailer for the exact reasons I like it so much.

Honestly, the entire trailer is specifically made to appeal to everyone who's not us: the people who think Superman is shallow, gaudy, and lame. From the trailer, you get that (1) Superman/Clark is an actual person with depth, (2) the visual style is about as far from gaudy as you can go without actually not being Superman anymore, and (3) Superman flies toward a guy in a mid-air brawl. These are all good things for the mainstream audience.

Considering we barely get a glimpse of the actual story, I think the best thing to do is take a step back and not freak out because of a trailer that barely shows any of the actual plot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Someone has seen the movie, and says the trailer is not representative of the movie.

- Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action.

- It's the best movie of the year.

- There's TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.

- The cape is CG'd most of the time so it can look awesome.

- They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.

- It's not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.

- The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place

Someone screwed up then, because that trailer has effectively put me off wanting to see the movie.

You have said elsewhere (the Iron Man 3 thread, I believe) that all trailers have that effect on you. The trailer I saw in front of Lincoln showed action and even if it downplayed the action, I personally prefer trailers not to reveal everything that happens, so long as it isn't entirely deceptive. I think Warner Bros in their *infinite wisdom* are promoting the film as being Nolan & Snyder do Superman, and trusting that's enough.