Superman: Man of Steel

In as spoiler free as possible to say it, I heavily enjoyed the film. Not only did I enjoy it but I thought it was a very well done film at that. The acting was fucking terrific. No matter what problem you had with the movie, you cannot say that Amy Adams wasn't great as Lois Lane. Hell, I'm just going to say it, I think she was probably the single best person to play Lois Lane ever. Lois Lane is probably my favorite supporting character in Superhero comics. They did her justice. Diane Lane was a great Martha Kent for that matter. She was smart in what she did, she was supporting enough yet still felt like her own person. Russel Crowe was a good Jor-El, believable when he needed to be but I think it was a good choice for them to shift at least some of the scientific know-how onto Ayelet Zurer as Lara. It's easy to forget that Lara is a character or even remotely matters to the Superman mythos. I cared about Lara. She was a loving mother and a smart person. I believe in the character. Kevin Costner was okay as Jonathon. He made sense as a character but there were times that I just couldn't seem to notice that the character was contributing anything to Clark's development. Henry Cavil was a good choice for Clark. He was charming and every bit of the man that Superman should be. I'm glad they went with the post-Crisis interpretation of the character. He needed to be human fr the story to work and to set it apart from the God of the Reeve films. I like that the Kent's were just as important to his development as Jor-El is.

So yeah, I think it's worth seeing. It kept my attention for two hours. I rooted for everything to turn out in the end. It could have used a bit more humor but that's not totally necessary. In the end, I just need to be able to believe that a man can fly, that he can inspire hope in the masses.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to burst your bubble Will, but I watched Superman I & II today and Margot Kidder is still the best Lois Lane in my book. And I'm a big fan of Amy Adams in general. Those old films just allowed so much more room for chemistry between the lead characters.

o_o

It... could work. Certainly if they adjust the tone and focus of the story somewhat (e.g., now we can have a proper Superman story instead of the origin leading up to one), they can avoid fatigue with the audience. But... they're taking an awful risk, unless they're basically going to do the Harry Potter model.

Actually, wait a second, Diane Nelson is the one running DC Entertainment, and she also was in charge of the fast-tracking of the Harry Potters. This is starting to make sense...

A crazy/stupid kind of sense. Let's pray to Hologram Jor-El it works out.

Fast tracked movies always work out awesomely.

Kind of a no-win situation they've become hell bent on.

Movie does badly? Let's wait a bit and waste money again down the line.

Movie does well? Let's waste money as quickly as humanly possible.

"It's more than just a franchise for us, it really opens up the door to do combinations of the DC Comics characters," said Dan Fellman, Warner's president of domestic distribution. "We can build them up like Marvel did and benefit from the history of DC."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323836504578549641408007794.html

Why did they wait so long to follow Marvel's gameplan? Was Nolan's Batman holding them back?

I realize I may be all alone but I wanted to say this is the first time the Christian iconography didn't offend me. It always frustrated me in the 1978 movie when Marlon Brando retold John 3:16 with himself as God and Kal-El as Jesus. It got me even more frustrated when they did it again in 2006 except this time it applies to irresponsible daddy Snooperman. I can understand that they were trying to get their "not a mary sue" merit badge, but I feel that mixing the two is like mixing two bright paints and coming with a dull color.

I did not take the church sequence as definitive proof that Clark is a Christian. I interpreted it as Clark going there because that is where his ma went when times were hard for her, so he hoped he would find answers there.

I finally managed to see it last night, in a tiny 100 seater cinema with four other people there.

It was a big, dumb, loud, action-filled, generic superhero movie, a lot like Avengers. That just happened to have someone calling themselves Superman. It was NOT a Superman movie.

Enjoyable but forgettable.

Now, when are Pacific Rim and Machete Kills out?

I have no problem with the whole collateral damage bit since at no point in his fight with Zod do I feel Superman has any control of the situation. And as I previously mentioned I had no issue with Zod's final fate since what Superman did to him in Superman 2 was way worse and I have never heard a peep about it out of the people bitching and moaning now.