Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We actually don't have any current plans for Superman," said Nelson when asked if the new environment (and the recent legal decision regarding the character) made a "Superman" movie more or less likely in the near future... We've obviously done a lot of great things behind the property in our history, and it's a key part of the family, but we don't have current plans behind Superman," she said.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59125

I think it's far more likely that Superman will be more part of the "world" of DC films for a long while before he's in a solo movie. I've heard lots of quotes from DC/Warner execs in the past few months saying that they want to have lots of crossover references like Marvel is doing. So we'd have Hal Jordan reading the Daily Planet, or perhaps even Superman himself making cameos in the films, like Nick Fury in Iron Man or Tony Stark in The Incredible Hulk.

That's a really weird ruling that they must make a new movie by 2011 or get sued.

No, it has to do with the contracts. They need to at least be TRYING to make a profit on that franchise in order to fulfill their end of the deal.

I wonder if they canned their ideas for a Superman film because they knew they'd lose the lawsuit with the Siegels.

• 1 month later...

That's a really weird ruling that they must make a new movie by 2011 or get sued.

No, it has to do with the contracts. They need to at least be TRYING to make a profit on that franchise in order to fulfill their end of the deal.

I wonder if they canned their ideas for a Superman film because they knew they'd lose the lawsuit with the Siegels.

Yeah, this is somewhat similar to the sitation Roger Corman was in with the low-budget Fantastic Four live-action movie in the '90s. That movie was never intended for release; it was just thrown together to keep the rights to a Fantastic Four movie from being taken away.

In other news, I really hope whatever Superman movie they come up with actually gets the character of Superman. I don't mind a dark film with Supes in it, but he works best as a counterpoint to the darkness.

In other news, I really hope whatever Superman movie they come up with actually gets the character of Superman. I don't mind a dark film with Supes in it, but he works best as a counterpoint to the darkness.

True.

I wonder if Superman's heavily-rumored cameo in Green Lantern will fulfill the contract? That would be extremely sneaky...

True.

I wonder if Superman's heavily-rumored cameo in Green Lantern will fulfill the contract? That would be extremely sneaky...

The cameo is Clark Kent, and it's about 3 seconds long. It's just there for us fanboys.

• 1 month later...
As the studio is waiting to resolve the legal dispute, there's no movement on the project. Production execs at Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. have been culling the various pitches that have come in, and are eager to start development on a sequel.

The studio is still seeking the right direction. No writers are working on a Superman script. "We're working on a strategy for DC," says one Warners exec. "Superman is the trickiest one to figure out."

http://superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=8872

• 1 month later...

Superman + fistfight = not that hard to figure out.

Superman has never been in an actual fistfight in a live-action movie before. We got hints of it in Superman II, but nothing solidly visual.

Actually having some crazy action in there would be somewhat revolutionary, actually. And very tricky, as having two Kryptonians (or whomever) battling (especially in the air) is a very difficult thing to map out, physics-wise. Normally it just looks silly. I think the closest thing we've had to it is the final battle in The Matrix Revolutions, where the visual effects and stunt teams actually did a ton of calculations to figure out how two flying superhumans would battle. I'm not sure that it 100% worked.

All that being said, I desperately hope they have a frakton of action in the next Supermovie.

Well, III had Superman fighting evil Superman...

And IMO one of the best events in the Original Superman films. Because it was one of the only fistfights, and done very well.

That's not to say I'm all about the fight scenes, I do enjoy Superman's "goodness" I just think that they need to be balanced.