Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad that Nolan has a hand in this now, but I don't want a "darker" Superman.

I just want a Superman who is more real. Let's take a good look at him and showcase the powers he posses as a wow factor, than give him a great villain in the first film, with hints of an even bigger threat for a future film. Characters like Superman have a darker sides, but let's not go crazy on them, Smallville has taken care of that. As much as I do enjoy Smallville, they've allowed the darkness of the character to go further than it ever has.

It's not hard to figure out.

Giant robots attack Metropolis, Superman smash. Brainiac reveals himself to be the mastermind behind said giant robots, Superman smash. Only Superman didn't smash hard enough, Brainiac lives. And...cut!

Now you just need to add the worthless Lex Luthor real estate plot and you've got yourself a movie!

I saw a hilarious quote underneath the article:

Batman Begins grossed $372 Million worldwide.Which was very impressive.Superman Returns grossed $391 Million worldwide.That’s even better...I gaurentee,if you get Bryan Singer back in the director’s chair,Brandon Routh back in the lead role and Kevin Spacey back as Lex Luthor,not to mention Frank Langella as Perry White,and have Chris Nolan pulling a Bob Kane as project consultant,we’ll have an instant classic.

I need this confirmed before I jump up for joy. And even then, I'm not sure this is guarantees a great movie. I've seen nearly every Nolan film (still have to see Insomnia) and I don't doubt that he's an awesome director. But I think that Batman's an easier character to make a film about whereas, as Bryan Singer found out, Superman isn't. Then again, if Singer hadn't wanted to do a fan-service to the Donner films, Returns could have been......eh, I've had my moment with that film already.

Giant robots attack Metropolis, Superman smash. Brainiac reveals himself to be the mastermind behind said giant robots, Superman smash. Only Superman didn't smash hard enough, Brainiac lives. And...cut!

Now you just need to add the worthless Lex Luthor real estate plot and you've got yourself a movie!

Its true. For some reason in the films Superman seems to stand for Truth, Justice and American Real Estate!

Its true. For some reason in the films Superman seems to stand for Truth, Justice and American Real Estate!

The funny thing is in Superman Returns, Lex basically stole his plan from Cobra Commander. Create new land mass. Claim land mass and profit?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we have gone from "Godfathering" to "The Batman Crew is making a Superman movie"

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/107/1071879p1.html

US, February 24, 2010 - Is David Goyer writing Superman: The Man of Steel or not? That, our fellow geeks, is the question.

Latino Review reports that Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. have hired David Goyer to write the screenplay for The Man of Steel, the oft-discussed, heretofore malingering next film in the Superman mythos. The news, if it's true (more on that in a second), would make sense: Goyer has helped to craft the storylines for both of Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, and Nolan has reportedly been appointed "Godfather" of the Superman franchise.

Latino Review's source says that Legendary boss Thomas Tull "went to Goyer and Goyer had an idea that actually takes the movies back to the John Byrne incarnation. Modern. Believable. FUN! So Tull got Goyer hired."

(And if you guys don't know who John Byrne is then you need to do your homework.)

The source adds that the film is still being calling The Man of Steel, a leftover from the days when Bryan Singer was alleged to be attached to the project. But Brandon Routh, obviously, will not star, and Singer, obviously, will not direct. The film will not be an origin story, but it will include Lex Luthor and Brainiac. Also, "The Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet [and the movie] … sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology."

But wait! The party-poopers over at Ain't It Cool News claim none of this is true. The big man on campus, Harry Knowles himself, says that he spoke to Tull, who denied the whole shebang.

"He loves Goyer, but frankly -- the project isn't at the script stage yet," says Knowles. "Seems Nolan is still hatching some ideas."

Right, 'cuz you should take everything a Hollywood exec tells you at face value. Well, as always, stay tuned to IGN for more on this as it breaks…

EXCLUSIVE UPDATE: IGN has heard from reliable sources that Tull is downplaying this report. Goyer is in fact on the project, but not only that -- his The Dark Knight co-writer Jonah Nolan will also be scripting Superman: The Man of Steel along with him. Nolan's brother Christopher is expected to only executive-produce, and not direct, the film. That said, he will be "hands-on" as a producer. Since the Superman film is under the gun because of the ongoing legal entanglements involving the property, Warner Bros. wants the pair to get started on their script on the double.

Our sources add that Warners is confident in the early work that Goyer and Jonah Nolan have done so far on Batman 3, and that as a result Superman has now taken on a higher priority status at the studio than it had since Superman Returns was released.

I bet that the suits just asked Nolan if he was directing who would he want writing the script and he just said those 2 names and they were like "Yes Mr. Nolan, whatever you say!"

David Goyer knows a lot about comics, actually. If I remember correctly, he wrote the intro for one of the trades of Superman/Batman. He can probably do a good job here.

I bet that the suits just asked Nolan if he was directing who would he want writing the script and he just said those 2 names and they were like "Yes Mr. Nolan, whatever you say!"

David Goyer knows a lot about comics, actually. If I remember correctly, he wrote the intro for one of the trades of Superman/Batman. He can probably do a good job here.

He also wrote some JSA before Johns started his run. Also, he wrote the blade trilogy, and directed the third one. So he knows his stuff. What NightAngle is saying I think is that Nolan could have said "I want Superman to wear a sign that says rapist" and WB would smile and let him do it.

The Nolanverse may be getting very large very soon

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8514%3Aiesb-exclusive-big-plans-for-superman-batman-a-co&catid=43%3Aexclusive-features&Itemid=73

We’ve got to be living in an alternate reality like J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek - minus the starships and Karl Urban’s Bones McCoy. When did Warner Brothers suddenly get their crap together? In the last couple of weeks (particularly 48 hours) has come an onslaught of info regarding their plans for Superman, Batman, The Flash and so on.

Now we’re privy to information, but will mostly opt to keep our mouths shut. You just can’t run with everything you hear. Our good pals from other movie-news sites will tell ya the same. Some info turns out to be legit, some crap and everything else in between. And there’s stuff like Christopher Nolan producing the Superman reboot while prepping to direct Batman 3. Yeah, we heard that. But thought it was too crazy to be true. Cut to: it being fact.

It’s with that in mind we thought we’d spill the beans on some recent unconfirmed (that is the key word here, boys and girls) rumors. Again it’s too crazy to be true. Or is it?

OK. So we know David Goyer and Jonah Nolan are writing The Man of Steel and Batman 3. We’re hearing outta Burbank a key reason behind Chris’ "Godfather" role is to help out li’l brother Jonah. "Why’s that?" you ask. Because latest rumblings peg him to sit in the director’s chair for the Superman reboot.

This, of course, would mark his directorial debut after working with his brother on three Batman films, The Prestige and not to mention his (ultimately un-credited) stint on Terminator: Salvation and writing Interstellar for Steven Spielberg. Jonah’s a solid writer, for sure. But making your first feature a no-doubt $200 million+ blockbuster tentpole with the intention of sequels down the line? Of course, this could just be a part of somebody’s wish list – maybe the studio or maybe "Godfather" Nolan.

How about Chris himself? Sure, he’s helming Batman 3. But most of us assumed he was going to call it a day after the third installment. The whispers in our ear (again unconfirmed!) say Chris will shepherd his Batman and the next cinematic Superman (and presumably Ryan Reynolds’ Green Lantern, The Flash and others) towards a Justice League movie. That he will direct after The Man of Steel and Batman 3 are released. We’re talking one big monopoly or more appropriately Nolanopoly.

"That’s too crazy to be true!" On the surface, we’d normally agree. But so far, nothing going on with the Brothers Warner and DC Entertainment fit what one would immediately expect. I say that as a good thing. Whatever the outcome of this latest updates (gospel or garbage), it’s good to see DC is finally catching up with Marvel in the blockbuster-movies department!

IESB will keep you informed on further updates.

I don't see Superman existing in a Nolanverse. I may have to eat those words, in fact I hope I do, but if Nolan has a problem with Robin then a Justice League deal seems way out there.

Yip. I mean, if true, this may show how much Nolan really does have WB wanting to make love to the ground he walks on, if they let his brother direct Superman. Also, if he does do JL, I will happily scream like a giddy little girl.

I don't see Superman existing in a Nolanverse. I may have to eat those words, in fact I hope I do, but if Nolan has a problem with Robin then a Justice League deal seems way out there.

Given that he is already in charge of Superman, and once his writers started working on Superman it became sorta obvious he is in charge of this and not some sort of nebulous Exec Producer, that ship has already sailed.