Watchmen *SPOILERS*

Missy

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, actually awake now, or something resembling it.

There's only one thing that I really took issue with in this whole film, and that's how they chose to use foreshadowing in this.

They made it clear from pretty much the first scene that Ozy appeared in that he is SINISTER and that SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT WITH HIM. We're pretty much hit over the head with the foreshadowing hammer, and it gets a little annoying.

My only other real issue with the movie?

The sex scene in Archie. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEX UP "HALLELUJAH". Also, it just got really long after a certain point, and with the song playing, it just got ridiculous.

Some of the major speeches/plot points were switched to earlier in the movie rather than later, probably mainly to lay the groundwork for what happens later in the movie/make it slightly more accessible for the people watching it for the first time, but the switching also took some of the impact out of later scenes in some cases. But it could've been far worse in that case.

I'm actually a little surprised at how graphic some of the violence was in here, but overall, it didn't really hurt the movie. Just made me squirm a little bit.

Night Owl shatters a few arms, and you get to see the bone going through the skin; Rorschach, instead of burning the man from the kidnap case, bashes his head in with a cleaver; and they actually touch on how getting disintegrated by Dr. Manhattan would leave you as nothing more than a large splatter of blood and some guts.

But, otherwise? Absolutely wonderful. The actors carried their parts well, there were little easter eggs strewn throughout the shots like in the original comic, the level of technology for the time, for the most part, is pretty accurate, and there are several shots that you are going to be able to instantly recognize the panels from. Favorite scenes would have to be the opening montage, Blake's funeral scene and all the flashbacks surrounding it, and

Rorschach getting caught

We went with two people who'd never read the source material before. They loved the movie, both want to read it now, which is wonderful.

Though one was a little confused by Bubastis' appearance at Karnak.

Wonderful movie.

Upon retrospection, I have four things to say:

1.)

Bubastis

should have been cut.

It looked ridiculous, and with giant space vagina octopus monster gone, there's not even any genetic engineering reasoning for it to be there.

2. I missed

Rorschach taking his exercises. Just weird to have that iconic scene gone.

The new ending was very, very well done. On par or possibly better than the book's.

The Owlship approaching Antarctica

to the tune of Hendrix's 'All Along the Watchtower' gave me chills.

I really, really loved the movie. There were a few cheesy bits, but altogether it worked wonderfully.

2. I missed

Rorschach taking his exercises. Just weird to have that iconic scene gone.

That might actually be in the director's cut of the film. There's an extra half-hour of footage that's going to be in the director's cut, not counting the Black Freighter bits.

That fucking pissed me off. I know it'll be in the director's cut, but that scene can't have been longer than five minutes.

It really wasn't important, though, and it would have been an extra five minutes on top of a film that was already stretching the limit. Besides, then we would have had yet another thing weighing on Nite Owl II's mind during the whole scene. I think that it worked better to

have him see Rorschach die

, thus allowing his reaction to mirror the audience's. (does that make him the Luke Skywalker of Watchmen? O_o )

I actually kinda liked MCR's song when I heard it play at the end credits, but that may be because I heard it a few weeks ago and had time to let the pain lessen.

It seemed to match the film's dystopian rock theme.

My favorite scene was probably either the alley fight or the prison break.

Can we agree that the opening credits were five minutes of damn near perfect?

Hell yes? Love taking them and implanting them in pop culture. Plus, teh Bob Dylan song of awesome.

I was wondering why my wrists just started randomly bleeding, and I was wearing eyeliner when I left the theatre.

Oh, good, that wasn't just me.

My friend was rocking out to it. And then I told her who it was. And then she flinched.

Ok, now I've seen it. Loved it. I think this was a very good adaptation of the book, not being slavish to its every scene but staying faithful enough to retain its plot and style. They added action to make it accessible and music to help set the atmosphere and era. I'm not saying it was a 5 star film but it was certainly very enjoyable in spite of its flaws.

Flaws- The dodgy makeup. Benjamin Button this wasn't, and I get that the budget was stretched here but couldn't we afford two actresses for Silk Spectre I and a decent nose for Nixon?

Bubastis. Totally surplus to requirements here unless they explain a bit more in the extended cut.

Some of the performances were off as well, but its the first superhero team film of note, so not every member of the cast is going to be a home run like Rorsach and Dr Manhatten. I've never liked Laurie very much anyway so this wasn't that much of a problem.