Watchmen *SPOILERS*

Missy

I honestly think he's bitching for the sake of bitching.

Yep. "They changed the ending. Rar!!" Well, we've known for over a year that the ending was being changed.

And for my money, the new ending makes more sense.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, a little late posting this, but I went to see the movie opening night at midnight. IMAX theater with a bunch of friends that I talked into going. And the fucking IMAX projector eats the film. We are told that we lost 2 seconds of the film.. However, after about 20 minutes, we get restarted to a movie with the audio two seconds behind. We were given some free passes and told to leave. So, I have yet to see the back end of the movie. It really sucks.

So, a little late posting this, but I went to see the movie opening night at midnight. IMAX theater with a bunch of friends that I talked into going. And the fucking IMAX projector eats the film. We are told that we lost 2 seconds of the film.. However, after about 20 minutes, we get restarted to a movie with the audio two seconds behind. We were given some free passes and told to leave. So, I have yet to see the back end of the movie. It really sucks.

Wow, that really sucks.

Once I went to see FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer (yes, I was bored THAT badly) and the audio stopped working entirely. They gave us a free ticket to whatever other movie we wanted to see that day, as well as another free pass that was good until the end of time. All in all, it was worth it.

Honestly, I wasn't blown away by it. I think Moore was right in saying that the story is, in a lot of ways, unfilmable. It was two and a half hours, and they still had to leave a ton out of it.

It wasn't horrible by any means, and I'll say that it's probably the best a movie version of Watchmen can possibly be. I actually liked the ending of the movie a ton more than the ending of the book (which I always sort of hated anyway), but something about seeing it all in live action just felt... off to me.

Honestly, I wasn't blown away by it. I think Moore was right in saying that the story is, in a lot of ways, unfilmable. It was two and a half hours, and they still had to leave a ton out of it.

It wasn't horrible by any means, and I'll say that it's probably the best a movie version of Watchmen can possibly be. I actually liked the ending of the movie a ton more than the ending of the book (Your on your opwn here dubs), but something about seeing it all in live action just felt... off to me.

Basically what he said.

Rorscharch was awesome, but the movie left some stuff out and felt like it had to make up by ramming as much in as it could.

Good movie, but not the best movie ever.

Love how Alan Moores name is not mentioned at the start just Dave Gibbons.

Also

disappointed that Dr Manhattan didn't turn into a car.

Alan Moore very specifically made sure his name was taken off the project. He's never wanted anything to do with this project, especially after the V for Vendetta mess.

I'd say reserve final judgement for the director's cut, whenever it comes out (there's rumors of it coming out theatrically if the original cut does well enough).

Oh and one more thing:

They really overdid it with the slow motion sequences, it looked great as the intro but after the fiftieth one it was overkill.

Also for people worried who haven't seen it yet:

You do see Manhattans cock a lot, so anyone who was worried about the black trunks, he only wears them during piece missions.

Also the comedian looked a lot like Rober Downey Jr to me, is that just me or did anyone else see that?

I can see that happening. Though that didn't happen at our showing (but that might be because it was a midnight showing).

There are so many little musical easter eggs.

So, did anyone else catch that "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" was playing during the scene where Adrian fights off his assassination attempt?

A friend of mine (who hadn't read the book) said he hated the movie because it was so "morally depraved." I think that perhaps the film doesn't go deep enough in explaining exactly why the characters are so messed up, and to a non-person-who-read-the-book would seem like a montage of random sex and violence.

Scott Kurtz sez:

If The Watchmen was a story about ex government black-ops who discovered that members of their old unit were being murdered to cover up a plot to trick the world out of global annihilation, nobody would question anything. Movies about espionage often touch these subjects and deal with bad people with no morals. But when you replace government agent with Superhero, and you make the costuming as campy as a 1960’s Batman TV episode, suddenly it seems very off putting.

What say ye?

Did he give any reason for it? I'm curious to know his thought process.

Dan: That's an interesting observation. I think it's primarily because when you involve the government like in espionage movies, there's, in peoples' minds, a clear-cut difference between right and wrong, not to mention that the government must always know what's right.

But then you've got individual people involved in it, with no government involvement whatsoever, and the moral distinctions get a bit less clearer.

He noticed someone walking out of a screening, and heard people complaining about all the sex and graphic violence. He felt that people were walking in expecting something similar to Iron Man and holding the movie to an unfair standard. (He loved it, incidentally.)

I wonder too about the marketing campaign, which showed that this is a superhero movie and completely failed to prepare someone who hadn't read the novel, other than the R rating.

Honestly, if someone thinks Watchmen is worse than anything else out there, that person is terribly sheltered.

Not the case here; sheltered he is not.

It's probably because everything about the Watchmen film screams "CARTOON" with its extremely stylized visuals, but the actual story is extremely realistic and mature.

Of course, we understand it all because we've read the comic, which is very dry and fittingly gritty. I think that the film's visuals are amazing, but don't necessarily blend well with the utter realism of the film's story.

Did anyone else have a problem with the fact that (in the film)

Ozymandias "kills" people the same way that Jon was supposedly "killed?" Would that not mean that they are all granted Jon's powers? Even if you go with the idea that Jon is a scientist that "knows" how to reconstitute himself, in the combined populations of all those major cities there should be at least a dozen other people with similar mental ability.

It just seems odd to me. I don't remember it being explained in the film.

I don't think they died the same way. That was an explosion caused by a generator that looked like Jon's energy signature. Jon was ripped apart atom by atom. (Or more accurately, the forces holding his atoms together were removed, and he just... dissolved.)

I don't think they died the same way. That was an explosion caused by a generator that looked like Jon's energy signature. Jon was ripped apart atom by atom. (Or more accurately, the forces holding his atoms together were removed, and he just... dissolved.)

Mmm, that's right. I think in my head I was visualizing

the people that Ozzy vaporized in-between those two walls. I was almost disappointed that we didn't get to see a glowing blue God-Bubastis. Like "Krypto Manhattan" or something.

I'm still kinda confused at the mechanics of how Ozy's plot worked out in reality. All I remember is that a power that was more or less equivalent to Manhattan's was unleashed on six separate cities and that the generator that Manhattan and Ozy created was it's source. Can someone clarify?

I'm still kinda confused at the mechanics of how Ozy's plot worked out in reality. All I remember is that a power that was more or less equivalent to Manhattan's was unleashed on six separate cities and that the generator that Manhattan and Ozy created was it's source. Can someone clarify?

Yeah, that sounds right.

I still want to see Bubastis-Manhattan.