• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
United States District Court judge Gary A. Feess has a horrible Christmas present for Watchmen fans. The judge concluded on Wednesday that 20th Century Fox “should prevail on crucial issues” in their lawsuit with Warner Bros over the rights to the comic book movie adaptation. According to the New York Times, Feess says that “Fox owns a copyright interest consisting of, at the very least, the right to distribute the Watchmen motion picture” and that “The parties may wish to turn their efforts from preparing for trial to negotiating a resolution of this dispute or positioning the case for review.” The trial had been scheduled for January.

You’re probably wondering what this decision means to you, the eager movie ticket buyer. Let me preface this by saying that I’m not a lawyer, but this is what I have gathered from the various legal articles I have consumed over the last few months. To start, it means that Warner Bros likely has no rights to distribute a film based on the Watchmen graphic novel. They could appeal this ruling and continue to fight, what is appearing to seem like an unwinnable battle, or start negotiating with Fox on some sort of settlement. An earlier LA Times report states that:

“The more likely outcome is Fox studio chief Tom Rothman or Warners’ head Alan Horn striking some sort of compromise deal in which the studios share the movie’s costs and proceeds. But because Warners already is sharing the portion of the film it didn’t sell to Paramount with financing partner Legendary Pictures, the studio doesn’t have that much to divvy up.”

The talks will likely result in a deal that will give Fox co-distribution rights to the film, or even full rights to the motion picture. It seems doubtful that Fox would squash the release of the film altogether, but from what I understand, that possibility exists. Making a deal with Warner Bros could be a dangerous precedent for the company to make to make in terms of copyright ownership.

That said, I would be surprised if a deal doesn’t go down. Also, I would be surprised if Watchmen keeps it’s March release date. There will be a lot more to this story, and we will keep you updated as the news comes in.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/24/breaki...ts-to-watchmen/

Just remember that when Fox "had the rights" to make a Watchmen film, they never lifted a finger to try. Now that someone else has done it, and that it looks like it's going to be a hit, they are crying about it. Fuck them and the lawyers they rode in on.

Dave Gibbons got a fat check for it.

And Pat Wilson. I've since fallen in love with him, via Hard Candy.

Snyder can have a check, too. If it's a good movie.

Actually, my remembrance is that he did this film for points which would make him one broke-ass, two-year wasting mofo if it gets shelved for good. Yikes. Still won't happen.

I guess what irritates me most about this whole thing is that it comes down to greed and laziness on Fox's part.

Yes, they had the rights to make it. However, for as long as they've had it, they've done dick all with it. So now WB goes and makes it, and they realized it's going to be a pretty damn big success. By doing this, they're probably going to get the movie (I really doubt there's much WB can do at this point legally in the next two months or so, but here's hoping there's something somewhere that they can) without having put any work into it, and they're going to get a pretty good deal of the profits.

As such, fuck you, Fox.

Whilst it's undeniably douchey for Fox to pull this following the completion of principal photography (because if Fox had moved during pre-production it'd merely be slightly disappointing), WB fucked up by not checking up on their ownership rights fully.

great news! hopefully Fox burns the master copy.

That's a silly line to take.

*shrugs*

The only real spoiler I've heard is that

the squid monster won't be in it

. And to some degree with adaptations, I've just learned to lower my expectations, because there's no way they're going to get it perfect, ever.

Just so long as he doesn't start adding things like he did in 300, I think he'll do a decent job.

Besides, compared to the previous drafts I've seen of this, this isn't so horrible.

I understand what you're saying, though.