Ultimates 3

Tom Cataldi

*Spoilers if you aren't caught up*

After all the delays on the Ultimates 2 series, I thought I had gotten it all out of my system..but I broke down and bought the trade, and now I'm back in love with it again. Then I find out that Jeph Loeb and Joe Madureira are taking over...and I'm REAL excited.

ultimates-20070724055637699.jpg

Couple things I'm particularly interested in -

Don't know who the blond guy with the guns is, but my bet it's Hawkeye. Is there an Ultimate Bullseye yet? Hawkeye's been shown to have Bullseye-type accuracy with pretty much anything in this universe, and after what happened to his family, I can definitely buy him freaking out, getting what looks like a bulleye branded on his forehead, and moving to guns.

Spidey on the cover. Fury always said he'd be joining the Ultimates when he was old enough, but that was when the Ultimates were under SHIELD's jurisdiction.

I have no clue when this is going to start coming out, we'll probably hear sometime this weekend, but I'm really fired up.

Whoa! That looks cool!

Who's the blond woman with the sword: Valkyrie?

I like your Bullseye idea, but I think that's Hawkeye. And to answer your question, Ultimate Bullseye was seen in Ultimate Elektra, but I can't recall if he was blond or not.

I can see Spidey joining now that SHIELD no longer controls the team.

Yeah, I think it's Hawkeye too. But Hawkeye taking on a more Bullseye-ish persona..althought I didn't know Bullseye's already made an appearance in Ultimate-land, so perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about.

EDIT - And I thought it looked like Valkyrie too, but she's already made an appearance as an absolute joke, so who knows.

Could it be another country's Super Soldier experiment, perhaps?

This looks interesting, at least - I'll give it a shot for a few issues and re-evaluate. Although I think it's really funny that they're trying to solve the problems of a notoriously late series by bringing in Joe Madureira as the new artist. I love his work, but there's no way this book is ever going to ship on time while he's involved. Maybe they figure people are already used to that idea with the Ultimates?

I don't like Wolverine as a part of this team.

It's been a year since Marvel announced Joe Madureira as the artist, so hopefully they've had him working steadily on the book since then.

Wolverine being there fits if only because the team looks much more violent:

- Black Panther with his spiked knuckles.

- Thor and his hammer.

- The unidentified woman has a sword.

- Hawkeye (?) is packing heat.

- Iron Man's entire suit.

- And of course Wolverine's claws.

That is one deadly team.

Do they need him? Not really, but I'm used to him being an Avenger. That said, this better be the only team he's on. I don't want to see Ultimate Wolverine in every book like his Marvel Universe counterpart.

I've pasted the covers together. Click the image below to see a HUGE image.

ultimates3-small.jpg

Now that we've seen the complete cover, I have some questions / concerns.

01. Magneto's team is basically The Brotherhood... plus Venom? Yawn.

02. Is that Storm?

03. Why is Magneto posing? It really pulls me out of the art.

God, I was wondering the same thing. Other than that, though, (and admittedly, I know NOTHING about "The Ultimates"), this artwork is absolutely stunning and makes me want to go pick it up.

Everyone else is in that typical "RUSH 'EM!" pose, except Magneto who seems to know there's a reader looking at the cover. Besides that, I would love to have that as a poster.

The Ultimates is basically the Ultimate universe's version of the Avengers. It's also a fantastic book. Read it.

Agreed 100%. It's balls to the wall action (think summer blockbuster) but with great characterization.

I have the hardcover which collects the first series, and whenever Marvel releases a hardcover collecting the complete second series I might grab that one too. The only thing stopping me is that I know they'll eventually release an Ultimates Omnibus collecting The Ultimates #1-13, The Ultimates 2 #1-13 and the two annuals.

God, I was wondering the same thing. Other than that, though, (and admittedly, I know NOTHING about "The Ultimates"), this artwork is absolutely stunning and makes me want to go pick it up.

I don't know how anyone could NOT know about comicdom's second longest running 26 issue series (planetary has it beat!) ;)