Marvel Reccomendations 2

elnino14

I know I don't appear here too often, but I'm looking to get some more books and need a bit of help again.

Since last time I picked up most of the New X-men by Morrison (vol 1-4) and still wish to finish it.

Also picked up Marvel Knights Spiderman

First half of Astonishing X-men by Joss, waiting for the second hardcover

Madrox

New Avengers Vol 1 + 2,

and an ongoing pick up of BUFFY season 8.

I've enjoyed them all. Some more than others but I thought they were all high quality.

Anyways, I need some help in picking up some more books, I usually turn away from Fantastic Four and Cap America but after reading Civil War I've been greatly intrigued by some of the characters:

I just need some views on some of the stuff I'm interested in here's the list -

1. The Ultimates (i've read vol 1 and want to pick it up, but how was vol 2 that was delayed forever due to Millar doing Civil War)

2. New Avengers - I like Bendis a lot and have the first two volumes, should I stick with it, is it still good after the War?

3. Ed Brubakers run on Captain America - really interested in this after reading Civil War, basically I'm not knowledgeable at all on Cap, do I have to be to get into Brubaker's run? Was it still good after the good captain departed? On that same idea, how is Cap America: Fallen Son

4. Ultimate Fantastic Four - is this any good, it looks good and if it's anywhere close to how good Ultimates is and I really love Millars work

5. Mark Waid's Fantastic Four run - I had heard a lot about it (good things about it)...some more detail.

6. I've had a great interest in some of the smaller books: Black Panther, New X-men Academy/Childhood's End, and Ms. Marvel.

7. Sill interested in Wolverine Enemy of the State just because I think I really like Millar's style.

And anything else you think I might be interested in.

I got to read all of the Runaways books and some of X-factor, not really interested in picking up any which is weird because I loved the Madrox book by David, but I didn't fall in love with the new X-factor book, same goes for Runaways I enjoyed it but it wasn't something that I loved. I know Joss worked on it and I'll have to take a look at it again when that TPB comes out. I also read Civil War - alot of it. I'll be picking up some of those eventually.

After Civil War, it was such a big event, can somebody tell me what books are good post-civil war as I don't understand the Marvel landscape as I'm usually stuck in reading whole stories/arc collected in hardbacks/tpbs.

Like there are 3 Avengers teams...and Bendis writes two of them...how are these books? Is Stracyniski still on Amazing Spider-man? What's Millar up to? What's Vaughn up to?

Oh and the Is it Wednesday column helps out a lot for me to see what books are good currently... as I'm thinking of picking up a couple subscriptions (using your sponsors of course, DCBS is much cheaper).

1. The Ultimates (i've read vol 1 and want to pick it up, but how was vol 2 that was delayed forever due to Millar doing Civil War)

The Ultimates 2 delay had absolutely nothing to do with Millar writing Civil War. Those delays came from Millar's chronic illnesses, Hitch's slow pace and scheduling problems over at Marvel.

As for the series itself, what I read of it I liked. I've yet to find the time to read the complete story, however.

2. New Avengers - I like Bendis a lot and have the first two volumes, should I stick with it, is it still good after the War?

It's better after Civil War, believe it or not.

3. Ed Brubakers run on Captain America - really interested in this after reading Civil War, basically I'm not knowledgeable at all on Cap, do I have to be to get into Brubaker's run? Was it still good after the good captain departed? On that same idea, how is Cap America: Fallen Son

Captain America is consistently awesome, even after Steve's death. And no, you don't need a degree in Captain America Studies to understand the story. You might not understand who some of the characters are, but that comes with every comic book.

Except for the final issue (the funeral), Fallen Son can be skipped.

4. Ultimate Fantastic Four - is this any good, it looks good and if it's anywhere close to how good Ultimates is and I really love Millars work

Depends on the writer, actually. Mark Millar's run was awesome! Some of the others, not so much.

5. Mark Waid's Fantastic Four run - I had heard a lot about it (good things about it)...some more detail.

As much as a Waid fanboy as I am, I didn't like his FF. Others will disagree.

6. I've had a great interest in some of the smaller books: Black Panther, New X-men Academy/Childhood's End, and Ms. Marvel.

Black Panther written by Reginald Hudlin: skip.

Black Panther written by Christopher Priest: READ!

The other books I've only read scattered issues of.

7. Sill interested in Wolverine Enemy of the State just because I think I really like Millar's style.

Buy it.

Post-Civil War book you should buy:

The Irredeemable Ant-Man

Mighty Avengers

Amazing Spider-Man

Iron Fist

Daredevil

Like there are 3 Avengers teams...and Bendis writes two of them...how are these books?

Both Might Avengers and New Avengers rule. Avengers: The Initiative I haven't read.

Is Stracyniski still on Amazing Spider-man?

For one more storyline ("One More Day"), then he's gone.

What's Millar up to?

He's working on a top-secret project with Bryan Hitch.

What's Vaughn up to?

Putting the finishing touches on Y - The Last Man, as well as writing Ex Machina and Midnighter -- all for DC. In the recent past he wrote a five-issue Doctor Strange story called Doctor Strange: The Oath. Find the collection; it's one of the best Doctor Strange stories in a long, long, long time!

Oh and the Is it Wednesday column helps out a lot for me to see what books are good currently... as I'm thinking of picking up a couple subscriptions (using your sponsors of course, DCBS is much cheaper).

:D

The Ultimates 2 delay had absolutely nothing to do with Millar writing Civil War. Those delays came from Millar's chronic illnesses, Hitch's slow pace and scheduling problems over at Marvel.

As for the series itself, what I read of it I liked. I've yet to find the time to read the complete story, however.

Shows how much I know, sorry for the incredible noobiness. I had no idea. What happened to him? Oh and let me know what you think of it once you finish eh.

It's better after Civil War, believe it or not.

I believe it.

Captain America is consistently awesome, even after Steve's death. And no, you don't need a degree in Captain America Studies to understand the story. You might not understand who some of the characters are, but that comes with every comic book.

Except for the final issue (the funeral), Fallen Son can be skipped.

Ok, I'm sold, especially since Brubaker's got an omnibus coming out.

Depends on the writer, actually. Mark Millar's run was awesome! Some of the others, not so much.

I guess I'll take my chances...unless somebody can convince me to swing Waid's way.

As much as a Waid fanboy as I am, I didn't like his FF. Others will disagree.

Again, somebody let me know. How is the FF now, especially since it's Black Panther and Storm on the team (or they were going to be after Civil War, at least)? Don't know who writes it.

Black Panther written by Reginald Hudlin: skip.

Black Panther written by Christopher Priest: READ! The other books I've only read scattered issues of.

Cool.

Wolverine Enemy of the State - Buy it.

In the process.

The Irredeemable Ant-Man

Mighty Avengers

Amazing Spider-Man

Iron Fist

Daredevil

Both Might Avengers and New Avengers rule. Avengers: The Initiative I haven't read.

I'll check them out especially the two Avengers books. The problem with Daredevil is I'm just so damn behind. I only have Underboss and Out, but have read the next two arcs, Lowlife and Hardcore. But there's like so many left and I'm just talking about Bendis here.

For Amazing, I never really got behind Stracyniski, I really liked him when he first started but then he tapered off somewhere in the middle for me. I never read The Other and apparently it's garbage, so I never will. I thought he handled the Civil War tie-in excellently though. So I don't know. Though I saw a preview of One More Day and was blown away.

I know nothing about Iron Fist and Irredeeable Ant-Man, outside of what was revealed about Fist during Civil War.

Vaughn: Putting the finishing touches on Y - The Last Man, as well as writing Ex Machina and Midnighter -- all for DC. In the recent past he wrote a five-issue Doctor Strange story called Doctor Strange: The Oath. Find the collection; it's one of the best Doctor Strange stories in a long, long, long time!

Doctor Strange story - good...No! He just seems so bland. That'll be really low on my list, I'll tell you that. I can't wait to see what Vaughn has in store for the Buffy series.

What happened to him?

He had a battle with Crohn's Disease.

For Amazing, I never really got behind Stracyniski, I really liked him when he first started but then he tapered off somewhere in the middle for me. I never read The Other and apparently it's garbage, so I never will. I thought he handled the Civil War tie-in excellently though. So I don't know. Though I saw a preview of One More Day and was blown away.

Yeah, JMS has his stinkers but he can pull off some wonderful stories.

Doctor Strange story - good...No! He just seems so bland. That'll be really low on my list, I'll tell you that. I can't wait to see what Vaughn has in store for the Buffy series.

Understandable, but it is worth the cash.

You can't go wrong with The Ultimates, its one of the best things Marvel have done in a long while, Brubaker's Captain America is godly. Maybe you should try some of the old stories reprinted in hardcover like Kraven's last hunt and Death of the Stacys

The Irredeemable Ant-Man

Mighty Avengers

Amazing Spider-Man

Iron Fist

Daredevil

Avengers: The Initiative

You should give WWH a shot, its awesome, as is Doctor Strange: The Oath. You should also give Annihilation a read aswell

You can't go wrong with The Ultimates, its one of the best things Marvel have done in a long while, Brubaker's Captain America is godly. Maybe you should try some of the old stories reprinted in hardcover like Kraven's last hunt and Death of the Stacys

The Irredeemable Ant-Man

Mighty Avengers

Amazing Spider-Man

Iron Fist

Daredevil

Avengers: The Initiative

You should give WWH a shot, its awesome, as is Doctor Strange: The Oath. You should also give Annihilation a read aswell

I actually have a couple of the old Spider-man stories, Death of Gwen Stacy, Kraven's Last Hunt, and The Death of Jean DeWolff. For the X-men I've got God Loves, Man Kills and that's it (though I've thought about picking up Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past). Oh and X-factor Visionaries vol 1. And for Batman I've got The Killing Joke and one of Loeb's books - the Christmas Story one. It's tough to read the older stuff sometimes, even if it's good. Though Kraven's Last Hunt has been read multiple times.

Not sure on Annihilation as it's got a lot of characters I'm not familiar with...and one of the main reasons I avoided F4 for so long is because of the spacey stuff. We'll see.

I'd definitely have to continue picking up Daredevil, it's probably the trade I've most enjoyed thus far and I'm only half-way through Bendis' run.