Thor

JackFetch

Ordinarily a special effects movie wouldn't impress me anymore, but by placing this in the wider context of the very grounded Marvel movies you really get a sense of the scale and force of Thor's abilities. We haven't seen anything on this scale before, not even from the Hulk.

Loved the trailer by the way, this is looking very good.

As for the weight of the hammer thing, it's hard to make a short-handled object like that look both impactful and still have it be wielded with any kind of ease. I think they do a good job.

They are going to show him being a badass in the beginning of the movie, and then take away his powers and hammer until the end? That doesn't sound like it's going to be much fun.

You've just described the basic plot structure of Superman II, one of the greatest superhero films of all time. I've no problem with Thor having to earn his powers back, especially since they're going to make it very clear that he's utterly badass without them anyway.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are going to show him being a badass in the beginning of the movie, and then take away his powers and hammer until the end? That doesn't sound like it's going to be much fun.

You've just described the basic plot structure of Superman II, one of the greatest superhero films of all time. I've no problem with Thor having to earn his powers back, especially since they're going to make it very clear that he's utterly badass without them anyway.

Superman 2 is overrated.

also: http://thor.marvel.com/

Guest TFG1Mike

I might actually venture out to the theater for this I liked what I saw in the trailer so much. For me that is saying something, because I haven't been out to a movie since TF2 and Iron Man 2

What is overrated about Superman II is the whole Lester Vs Donner Thing!

Am I right in assuming that this movie is post-production 3D'd?

From Wikipedia's entry:

In July 2010 it was reported that the film will be released in 3-D. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Kenneth Branagh stated that the 3-D process initially made him cringe but "We came to feel that in our case 3-D could be the very good friend of story and character for a different kind of experience". Although 2-D was used for principal photography, producer Kevin Fiege stated that the "special effects for the film were conceived and executed from the beginning in 3-D".

I wonder if we'll see him fly by throwing his hammer. Also, I'd love too see a Thor vs. Hulk smackdown in the Avengers movie. It's just exciting to see a superhero movie that isn't about techno gadgets or science. In Thor we have a super god capable of high levels of wholesale destruction. And from the look of things, he brings it. Not since Donner's Superman have we seen this kind of power from our movie heroes. I'm discounting the Hulk because he is more like a force of nature than a traditional superhero.

Now, here's hoping Brannaugh can bring the empathy. I'm also hoping Thor doesn't spend too much time 'trapped' on earth with his power diminished.

White supremacists urge Thor boycott over casting of black actor as Norse god

A US white supremacist group has called for a boycott of the Kenneth Branagh-directed superhero movie Thor on the grounds that a black actor has been cast in the role of a Norse god.

The Council of Conservative Citizens is upset that London-born Idris Elba, star of The Wire and BBC detective series Luther as well as a number of Hollywood films, is to play deity Heimdall in the Marvel Studios feature. The group, which opposes inter-racial marriage and gay rights, has set up a website, boycott-thor.com to set out its opposition to what it sees as an example of leftwing social engineering.

"It [is] well known that Marvel is a company that advocates for leftwing ideologies and causes," the site reads. "Marvel frontman Stan 'Lee' Lieber boasts of being a major financier of leftwing political candidates. Marvel has viciously attacked the Tea Party movement, conservatives and European heritage.

"Now they have taken it one further, casting a black man as a Norse deity in their new movie Thor. Marvel has now inserted social engineering into European mythology."

The site chooses to ignore its target's thespian talents, referring to "hip-hop DJ Elba" in apparent reference to the actor's career in East End nightclubs more than a decade ago. Elba himself addressed the casting issue earlier this year, pointing out that "Thor has a hammer that flies to him when he clicks his fingers". He continued: "That's OK, but the colour of my skin is wrong?"

Branagh's decision to cast non-white actors as citizens of Asgard stands in apparent opposition to a one-time policy on Peter Jackson's forthcoming Lord of the Rings prequel, The Hobbit. A British woman of Pakistani origin complained last month that she had been turned away from a casting session for being "too brown". The offending crew member, an independent contractor, was later sacked.

Thor, starring the Anglo-Saxon-looking Chris Hemsworth in the title role, and Jewish actor Natalie Portman as his love interest is due to arrive in cinemas next May.

Source.

Really? Really?

Maybe they can take solace in the fact that the character is a villain, at least he looks like it from the trailer.

But seriously, with the fair-skinned casting of characters for THE HOBBIT, I don't think there was any ill will towards it, depending on what the character is. I'm pretty sure Tolkien wrote elves as fair-skinned and all that.

So a white supremacist Christian group are protesting about the skin colour of a Norse god?!? Surely they'd prefer all other gods to be minorities to reinforce their world view??

That occurred to me, too.

Maybe they're confused as to what Christianity is supposed to be, and have been accidentally worshipping Odin all this time.