Thor

JackFetch

According to The Associated Press, Irish actor Stuart Townsend has left the production of Kenneth Branagh's Thor, in which he had been cast in the role of Fandral, one of the Warriors Three, over creative differences. He has already been replaced by virtual unknown Joshua Dallas, who recently appeared in the horror sequel The Descent: Part 2 (still unreleased in the States) and has a part in the George Lucas produced Red Tails.

The change in cast happened last week, just as the film was about to start shooting on Monday, and it's the second last minute replacement Townsend has faced, after being replaced by Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in a similar situation.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62266

I don't get how actors can have "creative differences". They are just there to act, not write their character.

Edit: According to AICN, he was fired for being a douche and showing up 6 hours late to a screen test.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to The Associated Press, Irish actor Stuart Townsend has left the production of Kenneth Branagh's Thor, in which he had been cast in the role of Fandral, one of the Warriors Three, over creative differences. He has already been replaced by virtual unknown Joshua Dallas, who recently appeared in the horror sequel The Descent: Part 2 (still unreleased in the States) and has a part in the George Lucas produced Red Tails.

The change in cast happened last week, just as the film was about to start shooting on Monday, and it's the second last minute replacement Townsend has faced, after being replaced by Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in a similar situation.

I don't get how actors can have "creative differences". They are just there to act, not write their character.

Edit: According to AICN, he was fired for being a douche and showing up 6 hours late to a screen test.

Stuart just can't learn his lesson. Now Joshua Dallas's career will boom, pushing Stuart Townsend even further back into relative obscurity.

The term "creative differences" covers a multitude of sins. I look at it as movie shorthand for "whatever happened is none of your business and we're not gonna tell you what really happened so stop asking" But on occasion there are actual disagreements among actors/writers/directors/producers about the project that simply can't be resolved and somebody elects to pick up their marbles and go play somewhere else.

And I have to admit that I don't understand you saying that you don't understand how actors can have creative differences. Sure they can. Some actors see their job as just that: a job. They come in, hit their marks, say their lines and that's it. Others like to have more input into the process and that's where we get some of the finest actors working in movies today.

I've only seen Stuart Townsend in two things: the recent ABC remake of "The Night Stalker" and "League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen." I liked him in both even though "The Night Stalker" was a horrible idea and should never have seen the light of day. A waste of the talents of both Townsend and Gabrielle Union. I wonder if his problems come more from him being miscast than anything else.

Ultimately, if some douchy actor playing one of the Warriors Three thought he was going to get input, he's too stupid to be on the project anyway.

Putting aside the actor's alleged douchy-ness for the time being, why shouldn't he have input into the role he's playing? An actor isn't like an assembly line worker and movies are a collaborative work after all. Presumably when an actor is picked for a role it's because the director/casting director/producer thought there was something he/she could bring to the project. So why not listen to their input?

Real world, though, actors on blockbuster movies are there to perform what they're asked to perform unless they are a driving factor in the film. Robert Downey Jr. should and does have input on Iron Man, but a guy who's supporting at best? No way. There's too much money involved.

Real world, though, actors on blockbuster movies are there to perform what they're asked to perform unless they are a driving factor in the film. Robert Downey Jr. should and does have input on Iron Man, but a guy who's supporting at best? No way. There's too much money involved.

Sure, Robert Downey, Jr. has all the input in the world now. But that's after the success of IRON MAN and TROPIC THUNDER. Previous to those movies Robert Downey, Jr. was busy rebuilding his career after a long period of substance abuse and rehab. There was even a couple of movies he worked on where his salary was withheld until his work was finished. Prior to IRON MAN he was billed as a Supporting Actor in most of the movies he did from 2000 on including the movie he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor: TROPIC THUNDER.

So I don't think being a supporting actor in a blockbuster movie is as trivial as some might see it. The right supporting role can open all sorts of doors and provide opportunities most actors never even come near. All the more reason for an actor to want to be sure that he's got some say so in how the role he's playing should be played.

Or, just shut up and do your job. If the director isn't willing to listen to you, don't work with him again. It's hard enough to get work as an actor, don't cheat yourself out of it. Ken Branagh has a history of being a damn fine director, if he has a direction he wants you to take the character take it. Stuart Townsend is far too unproven to be throwing his weight around in such a manner.

That's what I mean. They're not selling this film on a role by this actor (who i don't know or care to look up), they're making a fucking Thor movie. Do your job or go home. He went home. Don't cite "creative differences" unless you mean "I thought I should have creative say but everyone else wanted me to shut up."

Create the character your way, if the director loves it or hates it, he'll let you know. Don't try and rewrite the script or direct the scene. You're not getting paid for that.

...Sorry, if you couldn't tell this is the kind of thing that pisses me off all the time.

Surely Brannagh and Townsend would have talked about character direction either at or immediately after the audition, yes? I've got nothing against an actor wanting a say in the development of his character, but there's going to be less scope to do that the futher down the cast list he is.

Create the character your way, if the director loves it or hates it, he'll let you know. Don't try and rewrite the script or direct the scene. You're not getting paid for that.

...Sorry, if you couldn't tell this is the kind of thing that pisses me off all the time.

Kinda pisses me off as well as comic book fans seem to think that actors should be bowing and scraping and just gosh-all-ass-kissingly-ain't-I-blessed-to-be-in-a-superhero-movie-happy and take any kind of shit the studio or directors hand out just to be able to say they were in a Marvel or DC movie. I think Mr. Townsend did the right thing for everybody by walking. I don't trust or respect anybody who doesn't look out for themselves first. If you don't look out for yourself nobody else will. No doubt Mr. Townsend will soon get another job more suited to his talent.

I wasn't saying that as a comic fan he should be happy he's even involved.

It's that he was cast to play the role and because wasn't allowed to take in in an unagreed upon direction he walked away. So what. He's a peripheral character at best. Shit, this movie's already pissing me off. Casting announcements for Jane Foster's work friends (like that needs to be a plot point) and dumb shit like this.

Combine this with Marvel's seemingly endless bullshit hype machine that's transferred right form the comics to their movies (why do I need to see pictures of Downey in a cardboard IM suit drinking coffee?) and it's almost like I don't even want to see this shit anymore. Just shut up and make a movie. I'll care when I see a trailer.

Kinda pisses me off as well as comic book fans seem to think that actors should be bowing and scraping and just gosh-all-ass-kissingly-ain't-I-blessed-to-be-in-a-superhero-movie-happy and take any kind of shit the studio or directors hand out just to be able to say they were in a Marvel or DC movie. I think Mr. Townsend did the right thing for everybody by walking. I don't trust or respect anybody who doesn't look out for themselves first. If you don't look out for yourself nobody else will. No doubt Mr. Townsend will soon get another job more suited to his talent.

He's an actor, he's paid to act. If there truly were 'creative differences', I suppose that is what it is. If he's just being a twat, and showing up six hours late for a screen test, he can go on and get replaced.

Not to plug another show, but another podcast I listen to Geek Out Loud,had and interview with one of the film's writers Ashley Miller in episode 39, one of the films writers. He gives more information on what to expect. The guy used to write for Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles and is now writing for "Fringe"... I'll wait to see how this turns out... :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stan Lee's cameo:

Thor's hammer ( Mjolnir ) is found lying inside a crater in the middle of the road by the U.S. Army. The army tries to move it but can't because it's too heavy. They decide to bring in a truck for assistance. The soldiers tie Thor's hammer to the back of the truck with chains. The truck driver accelerates to pull Mjohnir. The back half of the truck falls apart as the front keeps moving. Finally, the camera cuts to the driver who happens to be comic legend Stan Lee.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/04/stan-lee.php