X-Men Reload

Darque Edge

For those not in the know, Marvel are shaking up their X-men line, with new writers/artists, etc. Chris Claremont and Alan Davis take over Uncanny, Chuck Austen writes X-men, and Joss Whedon (buffy) takes over a new title called Astonishing X-Men.

Okay, just read the first Chris Claremont/Alan Davis issue.

It sucks.

Not just a bit, a lot. I've been reading X-Men for over ten years now, and my reaction? 'What the...who the fuck is that?...oh, what did he bring her back for? What the fuck is Kitty doing back? How the hell did this title get so bad so quickly?'

It's not just me, is it? Claremont is the worst possible choice to have in this. He was great in the seventies, but he's too convinced in his own genius, and that, as fans, all we really want is for the comics to go back to what they were when he left off. You know, we want him to fill in FIFTEEN YEAR OLD gaps in storyline.

Meanwhile, Ultimate X-Men goes from strength to strength. New readers aren't going to want to read this, and it's a huge step down from Grant Morrison's stuff over on New X-men.

Oh, and the dialogue? Stilted, overdone, melodramatic and boring. How he managed to do all these at the same time, I have no idea.

Sorry, but this just sucked so much, I had to point it out. I am so worried about this relaunch now. Unxanny is all of a sudden off my list. I didn't buy X-TREME X-men for a reason, and that reason was Claremont. Now, Claremont is mixed with a dated and out of place artist in Alan Davis as well.

God, this is going to suck.

Now, Claremont is mixed with a dated and out of place artist in Alan Davis as well.

I haven't read the newest issue, so I can't comment. But I will say that Alan Davis is the man! Unless he's lost control of his hand and is drawing with his feet, his work is always tops.

Now, Claremont is mixed with a dated and out of place artist in Alan Davis as well.

I haven't read the newest issue, so I can't comment. But I will say that Alan Davis is the man! Unless he's lost control of his hand and is drawing with his feet, his work is always tops.

When Alan Davis is drawing typical superheroes, like the JLA, or like Captain Marvel, yeah, he's good. With X-Men, I just don't think his art fits. There's too much stuff going on, and everything looks unclear, plus, his characters are seriously ugly. The 'Twelve' storyline being a perfect example.

When Alan Davis is drawing typical superheroes, like the JLA, or like Captain Marvel, yeah, he's good. With X-Men, I just don't think his art fits. There's too much stuff going on, and everything looks unclear, plus, his characters are seriously ugly. The 'Twelve' storyline being a perfect example.

This is one of those deals where we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I think Davis' art is stunning. Granted, I haven't seen his latest, but everything else to date has been excellent.

Alan Davis was godly on Excalibur, especially so on the really early issues. I haven't seen any of his work since then.

Chris Claremont was once the greatest thing since sliced bread. But that time has come and gone, and now he's just stomping on the past. He's beyond horrible now.

drq

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So far, I have read Uncanny, New X-Men and Excabilbur. I just had a child and can't afford books at the moment so I have to read whatever Borders provides me with. Anyways, onto my thoughts.

Uncanny Sucked. I hate the whole of idea of starting from scratch, but if you are going to do so at least use a writer who has written something great in the last ten years or so. The art was meh, but a whole hell of a lot better than the writing.

Excabilbur was good with a great twist at the end. Really makes you want to pick up the second issue. The art is crisp, but the writing still suffers from Claremonts dated dialouge. However, his flaws, or old style if you will, is a lot less noticable here.

New X-Men is great. I know a lot of people don't like Chuck Austen, but I think he is a good writer for this title. I love the idea, and I hope I don't spoil the book for anyone, of having the team members not all get along. Havok, Juggernaut, Iceman, Polaris, The new Angel guy, and that fish kid, along with Rogue and Gambit, should make for a very dynamic book. Also, one of the funniest lines I have ever read is spouted by Logan in this issue. The art is top notch, and I hope that if they don't already, that Maarvel gets Larroca signed to a exclusive. He is awesome

• 3 months later...

I think District X is the best of the Reload books. Even much better than the Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men. District X has a very unique POV and cool take on the familiar X-Men themes. I also like how the team of David Hardin, David Yine, and Alejandro Sicat really goes into depth on one of Grant Morrisson's coolest ideas in New X-Men: mutant town.