Randomness

Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah. I went back last night and read the story arc leading up to that ending. All I got out of it was that Buckley just gave up because he was bored, said "fuck this," then wrote a half-assed "ending."

The fact that he takes his crappy storyline drama so seriously (and actually thinks it's good) is mind-boggling.

It's the same thing that happens with video reviewers. No one sets out to be the creator of a webcomic. They want to make real comics. Just as video reviewers want to be directors, people in e-feds want to write novels (not that I would know anything about that). If you were writing the same characters on a regular basis for ten years, you'd not only get attached to them, you'd take every single thing they did very fucking seriously.

I went and read the very first strip on the site, then looked at the last few. It doesn't even resemble itself anymore. Maybe that's why he's rebooting it.

I dislike him, because he can't draw, he's pretty racist, his characters are clearly Mary Sues, he's an uppity jerk and his comic is a poor ripoff of Penny Arcade.

Oh, and he sent dick pictures to an underage girl.

Change doesn't enter the equation, Tim Buckley has always sucked.

I like the idea of a reboot; that's not the problem.

CAD didn't just "evolve" into something that wasn't funny anymore; Buckley deliberately made it that way. When the miscarriage storyline happened (out of fucking NOWHERE), he defended that decision over and over again, saying "I'm the writer of this story; I know what I'm doing and this is for the best," reader reactions be damned. The fact that he pulled an "and everyone died!" ending but tried to disguise it as a deep dramatic thing is flat-out insulting. It's like reading All-Star Batman & Robin and listening to Frank Miller tell us how it's an incredibly deep and nuanced character drama.

It's neat that he wants to get back to actually being funny again, but at this point, Buckley has about as much storyteller credit as Stephenie Meyer has brain cells.

CAD has, and always will be an awful comic that somehow appeals to a huge number of people.

These last few strips have been amazing; a super serious end of the world melodrama that eventually leads to Tim's self insert character sacrificing himself and being heralded after his death. I don't think it could have "ended" any other way.

It's a free webcomic, not Michael Bay, he never ruined the medium for everyone else. I quite liked CAD and stopped reading a few years back when I also stopped Hikinks Ensue and Penny Arcade. Yes it's melodramatic and serious at times but I still read Questionable Content (relationship drama and dad-suicide) and Goblins: Life through their eyes, which after a comedic start is one of the most blood-drenched violent comics out there.

Basically I don't see the point in villifying someone just because you don't like his writing when its just a free webcomic.

Although if he is racist and I missed it then fine, that's a bone to pick. And I just noticed the underage dick pics thing, which is awful.

I guess I just don’t see any problem with criticising the guy for making something I find really, really bad. We do it every day, for all kinds of media, for all kinds of reasons, and the fact that it’s free and hit’s a significantly smaller number of people shouldn’t disqualify it from being criticised.

Besides; at its peak, CAD was hitting 1.8million unique page views a month. It’s not on the same level as anything Bay has made, but it’s not insignificant.

I guess I see a lot of hyperbolic stuff against small-scale web content providers that's just not constructive. If people want to say why it is or isn't for them fine, but it's hard for me to see why anyone would actually rage against one man and his comic unless it's doing something that's actually offensive.

I don't think anyone's gotten to the stage where we read and criticise bad webcomics for fun yet, because by their nature it's totally self-inflicted. "Oh that's terrible" click "why would anyone read this" click "you'd have to be a fool to give this person more views on his crappy comic" click.

Mind you, I'm probably being a hypocrite in 15 ways. I usually am.

I can't stand Bay as much as the next guy, but the idea that he perverts film sensibilities any more than the next guy is problematic for me. There have always been films like his. It's why he makes the films he does. His are slicker and maybe a little more disposable, but let's not start calling him the antichrist or anything.

Regarding webcomics, I actually don't care. I've never read them because I just don't have the time to. I dislike the format of reading on a screen in general. If this guy did the stuff Preston says he did, then I imagine he was found guilty in a court of law? If not, then I don't see the relevance to the conversation.

Things I did today:

1. Stopped to pick up a turtle crossing the road and moved it to the other side.

2. Gave away some comics to a kid that loves super heroes.

3. Gave away The Hobbit comic adaption to a teenager that's really excited for the movie.

Is this enough good things to justify being a dick tomorrow?