Randomness

Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to get out of my funk and apply for more jobs. I'm getting about an 80% interview to application ratio off my CV but one every couple of weeks isn't enough. Just applied for three undergrad administrator roles at the university, and set myself the goal of applying for at least 5 jobs a week.

So sick of being unemployed.

Few things more awesome than giving a 3 year old girl a plushie Jake and a BMO birthday card and watch her running around to the room showing everyone what she got, "Daddy I got BMO!". Couple that with an exhausting several hour long running nerf war, free beef brisket and my first win at excellent table card game Smash Up and today was a good day.

My youngest brother is getting married next month. His bachelor party was this weekend, and it was a four-day bro-fest. He's very active, and this weekend was billed as non-stop river-rafting-followed-by-18-holes-followed-by-ziplines-followed-by-whatever.

in addition, this was to be a house full of men in their mid-thirties partying like they did when they were 19.

I was only able to go for a day, but what I saw made me feel like the oldest man in the world. When I arrived, on day three, the entire house was filled with people who were all at least five years younger than me, whose bodies were actively rebelling against the debauchery they were being put through. No one wanted to be the guy who said "Hey, can we maybe sit for an hour?" even though it was incredibly obvious that EVERYONE wanted to take a nap. As a result everyone was pushing everyone else to do incredibly dumb things.

My favorite was the guy who tried to cross some rapids by jumping from rock to rock: "... I can totally jump that far." Spoiler: he could not, in fact, jump that far.

Other highlights:

"Hey, who put the donut in the blow-up doll's ass?... Don't ask me how I found it."

"Should the grill be as... on fire as it is right now?"

My brother, upon a plan to go to the rapids: "Okay, so in case we need it, does anyone here licensed to do CPR?"

His buddy (the guy responsible for all three of the above quotes): "I had a card from when I was a lifeguard in high school."

My brother: "Awesome! Good enough!"

My other brother, quietly seething: "Perhaps now is the time to remind you that I am a REGISTERED TRAUMA NURSE."

Urgh. I'm currently not enjoying being able to sleep properly because I'm dreaming in a state of super-association. IE I'm not just following one thread of the weird stuff that's happening, I'm fleshing it all out and the whole thing is becomeing more and more complex and less and less restful. For eg- At one and the same time Invincible is handing stacks of books to his mentor figures to demonstrate why his life was too complicated and he snapped, removing them from authority over him. In a treehouse. In the corner of the room Moneypenny is in a limo, bemoaning the morally questionable things she has to do to set up her own spy network. This dream had about 6 branches just like that with their own internal depth and the idea that any one reference could pop up and create another. One of the authority figures was Jeff Winger and now he's under the authority of Wall St type government agents trying to prove his worth despite his failiure. One of those agents was a guy from Alias, and then I'm working out how he got to this point. Yes, I'm dreaming entirely in fictional characters.

None of this is restful. I didn't even eat any cheese.

So I now have an actual job two days a week checking media and film curriculum for an educational company. Thanks to my vast overqualification and a glowing letter of recommendation from my friend who just left the job I didn't even need to interview. Hurray for actually doing something to maintain my sanity for the moment.