Green Lantern

JackFetch

Warner Bros. has set Greg Berlanti to direct "Green Lantern," a live-action take on the DC Comics superhero.

Berlanti will write the script with Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green. Donald De Line will produce; Andrew Haas is exec producer.

Berlanti hopes to make the jump to big-budget fantasy fare after serving as writer and exec producer on character-driven TV series "Dirty Sexy Money," "Brothers & Sisters," "Everwood," "Jack & Bobby" and "Dawson's Creek." He previously directed 2000 feature "The Broken Hearts Club."

"Green Lantern" was hatched in 1940. Hal Jordan, a second-generation test pilot, is an ordinary man who has been charged with defending a sector of the universe.

Warner Bros. and DC Comics assigned the project to De Line, who is currently in Morocco shooting "Body of Lies," the Ridley Scott-directed WB drama that stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe.

Guggenheim, who works with Berlanti as a writer-producer on "Brothers & Sisters," wrote the Marvel comicbooks "Amazing Spider-Man," "Wolverine" and "Blade." Green, the "Heroes" co-exec producer who worked with Berlanti on "Everwood" and "Jack & Bobby," wrote the Marvel Comics title "Superman/Batman" and was a writer-producer on "Smallville."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797488...=1&nid=2562

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
First off, Green Lantern fans don't need to worry - De Line confirmed that Jack Black is no longer attached, and that this version will not be comedic. He says that it'll be the origin story of Hal Jordan, with all the heroics and action inherent with that character.

They're waiting for a first draft right now from writer Greg Berlanti, and it sounds like De Line is hoping to have that soon. And in case you had any doubt Justice League was dead, De Line said that Green Lantern's development has been totally unaffected by that project - they haven't seen a script or talked to anyone about fitting in with that film.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/14995/1/...IGHT/Page1.html

"Green Lantern" was hatched in 1940. Hal Jordan, a second-generation test pilot, is an ordinary man who has been charged with defending a sector of the universe.

:doh:

No, the character launched in 1940 was Alan Scott, who gained his powers from a mystical surce and has nothing to do with the green Lantern Corps. Hal Jordan appeared in 1959.

I really hope DC try to turn this into thier Iron Man, it really is thier most similar project, a regular guy given extraordinary power with a more military inclination than most other heroes. They should get someone with a rep for this role. I've no idea who, but they need a name like Bale, Downey Jr, Jackman or Macguire, not a top star but a rising known character actor who can do the role justice. Perhaps someone with more thn a rep than Routh. Routh was great as Superman but the big attraction in that film was Superman, not the name of the guy playing him. Just like with Iron Man 99% of people don't have a clue who Green Lantern is.

• 2 months later...
For Hal Jordan, you need someone who's 35-ish and is fearless, a little sexy, has a military edge yet is a bit cocky.

At the top of my list is Daniel Craig, followed by Kevin McKidd and Nathan Fillion.

From Mal to Hal? I like it.

I said this before about the casting of "The New Frontier", but David Boreanez is someone else I could see pulling it off - especially after seeing him do the FBI agent on "Bones".

• 4 weeks later...
On his official website, illustrator Brian Murray has posted a number of images that he created for 'Green Lantern' screenwriter and (potential) director Greg Berlanti. The images were part of the presentation package Murray created for Berlanti Television which won them the 'Green Lantern' feature.

normalcarolno9.th.jpg normalcostchangenj0.th.jpg normalgreenlanternlh6.th.jpg

normallegion3lv1.th.jpg normaloveroanw6.th.jpg

People are bitching about the costume not having the white gloves. I'm sorry but he would look like a bridesmaid if he had them. Comic book costumes usually don't look good when it comes to real life.

People are bitching about the costume not having the white gloves. I'm sorry but he would look like a bridesmaid if he had them. Comic book costumes usually don't look good when it comes to real life.

I love the original Gil Kane GL costume design, but I have never, for the life of me, understood why he made the gloves white. I guess to make the ring stand out? I dunno. But they look dopey. Green gloves would always have made much more sense.

Guest DCAUFan1051
For Hal Jordan, you need someone who's 35-ish and is fearless, a little sexy, has a military edge yet is a bit cocky.

At the top of my list is Daniel Craig, followed by Kevin McKidd and Nathan Fillion.

(scoffs) u want james bond as GL mike lol I know I'm late in looking at this thread but damn that's weird lol :devil:

I vote for David Boreanaz he did the voice in JL: The New Frontier as Hal Jordan and he knocked it out of the park. :angel:

Aside from the fact that he played a 243year old vampire lol Angel rocks!!! :D

Guest DCAUFan1051
I like Daniel Craig. As much as I dislike Boreanaz and anything to do with Buffy, he'd be way better as Hal Jordan.

Craig could do Guy Gardner though...

let me clairfy IO NEVER liked or watched Buffy except for three episodes the Season 3 2 part finale and the Series finale however I loved the Angel series much better then Buffy!!

and I figure since Boreanaz already did hal's voice in New Frontier he'd be a great candidate for a live action GL.

I like Daniel Craig. As much as I dislike Boreanaz and anything to do with Buffy, he'd be way better as Hal Jordan.

let me clairfy IO NEVER liked or watched Buffy except for three episodes the Season 3 2 part finale and the Series finale however I loved the Angel series much better then Buffy!!

and I figure since Boreanaz already did hal's voice in New Frontier he'd be a great candidate for a live action GL.

Watch that logic, mister! Ed Asner voiced Granny Goodness on JLU...

Guest DCAUFan1051

Watch that logic, mister! Ed Asner voiced Granny Goodness on JLU...

for a second there u lost me but then I thought about it Asner did granny throughout the DCAU according to imdb hell throw some wrinkles on him and tons of make up put him in a dress and there ya go live action granny goodness :devil: :devil: :devil:

but I still say boreanaz would be the best Hal Jordan/GL

• 4 weeks later...
Earlier today I caught up briefly with producer Donald De Line, who is developing the Green Lantern film, and asked him for an update. He told me that "a new draft of the script came in" and they're "gearing up to start shooting early spring." While it's not confirmed, he added that "it's coming together and I'm excited about it. Hopefully we'll make it to start gate. We're really close - really close."

A reviewer of the script said this about it:

"The structure adheres closely to what I call - the 'superhero origin movie paradigm.' In Green Lantern's case, Hal Jordan has to overcome his selfishness and self pity over the death of his father Martin Jordan which takes place early in the script. Hal Jordan for the first 20 pages or so is a prick. The story follows the Green Lantern origin closely and cinematically speaking – IT WORKS."

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/09/26/gre...ng-next-spring/

• 2 weeks later...
Latino Review is reporting the rumor that Ryan Gosling is Warner Bros. Pictures' first choice for Green Lantern. Gosling, most known for The Notebook, has also starred in recent pics like Lars and the Real Girl and Half Nelson. He received both an Oscar and Golden Globe nomination for the latter.

Greg Berlanti is attached to direct the studio's big screen adaptation, written by Marc Guggenheim, Michael Green and Berlanti.

The "Green Lantern" was created in 1940 by writer Bill Finger and artist Martin Nodell. Hal Jordan introduced in 1959, a second-generation test pilot, is an ordinary man who was given the power ring and battery (lantern) by a dying alien named Abin Sur. When Abin Sur's spaceship crashed on Earth, the alien used his ring to seek out an individual to take his place as Green Lantern: someone who was "utterly honest and born without fear."

No release date has been scheduled for the film.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7715

He will bring in the ladies I guess.

• 1 month later...

CLARK KENT IS NOW A CAMEO IN GREEN LANTERN..

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/12/01/green...script-changes/

All I know so far is that it will be Clark Kent, haven't read anything on whether or not he will take off the suit and where the tights. But so far, its down to Brandon Routh or Tom Welling. If anything I would like to see Tom Welling take on the role of Clark AFTER he has become Superman.