Green Lantern

JackFetch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less about Lively as I don't even know who she is. I don't like her character in this movie as she's just there to be a love interest.

Which is the problem, as Carrol Ferris should be more three-dimensional than that.

Again though, you're basing this on maybe 10 seconds of footage of her being in the trailer and the fact she's on Gossip Girl.

I'm basing it on the script.

Trailer did nothing for me. I don’t want to make any big judgements yet, I just wish I was actually excited for it.

Yeah, the dialogue was rather shallow and generic, but the visuals were pretty good. Still, hope the next trailer is better and features a bit of Sinestro, since Mark Strong is a great actor and has the potential to be awesome in the role.

• 4 weeks later...

Read that a while ago. I see what they're saying, but how can you complain about a superhero film being too cliched during its origin story? They're pretty much all based on the same template. Could you have filmed it differently? Yeah, you could have. But they're giving you pretty much exactly what's in the comics there.

And probably 80 percent of the comics stories on Cracked are completely misinformed - like pretty much every other thing they're written about this movie.

I'm really taking a wait-and-see approach with this one. It's hard to really hate something we know so little about.

My only concern with the movie at this point is that it might be too comedic. If you make too many jokes about a ring-wielding neon superhero, you make said superhero into a joke.

But we still don't know nearly enough about the film to judge that yet. None of the interviews with cast or writers have mentioned much comedy, so hopefully the trailer is misrepresentative.

My only concern with the movie at this point is that it might be too comedic. If you make too many jokes about a ring-wielding neon superhero, you make said superhero into a joke.

But we still don't know nearly enough about the film to judge that yet. None of the interviews with cast or writers have mentioned much comedy, so hopefully the trailer is misrepresentative.

That initially bothered me too, but I could accept it if the comedy was on the level of that of the first Spider-Man movie and not the central thrust of the movie. Green Lantern isn't one of those ultra-serious, teeth-grinding, grim and gritty superheroes like Batman.

Or if you create seven other color corps...

That would be awesome.

Also, less silly than Boss Dark Side and the Miracle Machine.

That initially bothered me too, but I could accept it if the comedy was on the level of that of the first Spider-Man movie and not the central thrust of the movie. Green Lantern isn't one of those ultra-serious, teeth-grinding, grim and gritty superheroes like Batman.

GL isn't nearly as lighthearted as Spider-Man, either. If Spider-Man is kinda fun and silly, that works. I'm not sure that can really work with a GL other than Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner.

I'm really taking a wait-and-see approach with this one. It's hard to really hate something we know so little about.

This.

Personally, I'm looking forwards to the BITD episode that'll deal with trailers because I'm coming around to the idea that, in the internet age, they don't neccessarily serve the finished product to their utmost. For this reason, I haven't bothered looking at the Thor trailer. I want to be wowed by Kenneth Branagh's take on Marvel's version of Norse mythology when I sit down to watch the film.

• 2 weeks later...
"Growing up on the planet Xudar, Tomar-Re comes from a peaceful avian race that focuses their efforts on the arts and sciences instead of war," explains DC writer and Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns in the accompanying text, "His nature to examine everything has led the Guardians of the Universe to appoint him the archivist and protector of the sacred Book of Oa. When not studying the nature of the Corps, Tomar-Re patrols the sector of 2813 where he developed a close friendship with neighboring sector 2814's Green Lantern, Abin Sur. Tomar has taken an interest in Abin's replacement, Hal Jordan. Though Hal is not one for details, Tomar hopes to teach Hal what it means to be a Green Lantern."

tomarre.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This almost makes me wonder if Hal's costume will "evolve" into something a little more classic looking when he gets more control with the ring. Sinestro looks amazing.

I figure that'll happen in the second movie, after the negative reaction to the muscles has time to sink in.

Which is too bad, 'cause Sinestro proves that a traditional-looking GL suit looks great.