Green Lantern

JackFetch

ComingSoon.net talked to Terminator Salvation and Avatar star Sam Worthington about possibly starring in the Martin Campbell-directed Green Lantern.

"I've been talking to (director) Martin Campbell about it," Worthington said when asked if he had been approached about the role. "It's one of those things where they're still doing the script. I said, 'Give me a script. Let me have a look at it.' I like Martin a lot. I met him on the Bond stuff, and I like his work, but the second step is, 'Is it a movie that I'd go and see?'"

Warner Bros. Pictures is eyeing a June 17, 2011 release for the comic book adaptation.

http://superherohype.com/news/greenlanternnews.php?id=8333

Am I good or what?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's actually a decent actor.

That's true, but he's way too recognizable. If you have someone that's that recognizable, it comes off as unintentionally funny. You might as well just make it intentionally funny at that point.

There is actually a lot more comedy than you would think in the script. Probably more than there was in Iron man. I definitely wouldn't cast him, but I could get over it since he can actually act.

My only real complaint with Fillion (aside from his age) is that he's at his best when he's goofy.

Hal Jordan (at the point of his origin story) is brash and impulsive, but never goofy. Hal ultimately is a very deep and caring person, motivated not simply by thrills or personal amusement, but by a deep passion that just won't quit. Fillion's never done anything quite like that before. After just having had another "goofy womanizer with a heart of gold" superhero flick, a Fillion-style Hal Jordan would be both repetitive and somewhat untrue to the character.

I'd rather see him as Steve Trevor in a Wonder Woman movie, especially after hearing what he brought to that character in the recent animated WW film.

But Hal isn't a young man, so Nathan Fillion's age shouldn't be a concern.

He's young in his origin story. At oldest, he's in his late 20s when he first gets the ring; it's a big part of his character at that point: he has to progress from a (seemingly) thrill-seeking hotshot pilot to a responsible hero. Fillion's almost 40, so casting him as the thrill-seeking Hal would almost make him seem like he's in a mid-life crisis. If they were to skip the origin entirely and just cut straight to the "mature" Hal that he is in the current comics, Fillion might work better.

Fillion's never done anything quite like that before.

I hate to keep saying this, but: Firefly. Fillion played the former solider turned team leader, who was totally serious when the situation called for it and was willing to crack a joke in his downtime. Mal and Hal? Pretty similar characters.

In his current origin that's true, but I'm pretty sure he was in his 30s (if not older) during his classic origin.

From what we've heard, they're going with the late-20s version for the film.

I hate to keep saying this, but: Firefly. Fillion played the former solider turned team leader, who was totally serious when the situation called for it and was willing to crack a joke in his downtime. Mal and Hal? Pretty similar characters.

Nah. Trust me, I've seen every episode of Firefly at least twice and Serenity four or five times. I love Malcolm Reynolds/Nathan Fillion. But Mal was a very different character. He was the "everyman," or perhaps something even less than an everyman. Hal Jordan is something bigger than that: he's the man without fear. Fillion is amazing because of that clever sparkle in his eye, but Jordan is defined by his overly forceful American-style boldness. Fillion's recent characters are also usually defined by their age as well: they're usually the father figure in the group, with slight mid-life crisis characteristics. A better casting might be Chris Pine. (Hey, if Christian Bale can be in every action movie, why not James T. Kirk?) Pine's version of Kirk in the new Trek movie actually follows along a lot of the same character points that Hal Jordan would. (Dead father figure, thrill-seeker who gets into bar fights, discovers that his brashness is actually something that can be used to fight evil in space, etc...)

Besides, if we assume that it'll be a couple years before the GL film comes out, then that'll put Fillion at age 40. After two more sequels he'll be 45-46. That works great for Tony Stark, but Hal Jordan? Ehhh....

Hal Jordan is something bigger than that: he's the man without fear.

Murdock is very proud you're trying to help dispel those nasty libelous about him being Daredevil but would like to say that it's a few years too late. He's already served his damn jail time.

As for Hal Jordan, if he's supposed to be in his 20's, Nathan Fillion won't work. But that fan-made trailer is still awesome, and Nathan Fillion would be awesome in a grown up Lantern. I don't know anything about Green Lantern outside of what I've seen in A New Frontier animated film, but GL was the best part of that terrible film, and if it's anything like the origin story they came up with in there...it'll be at least decent.