Wanted

Missy

Hmm... I thought there was already a thread about this, but I guess I'm wrong.

Wanted, the comic book about supervillains / assassins by Mark Millar and JG Jones, has been adapted. Here's the trailer. Looks like they removed the supervillain part, however.

My initial reaction before I saw the trailer was "Noo! How can they remove the central point of that book? Its all about comic villians!" Then I realised that its impossible to do all the random rape and murder and still have sympathetic characters (certainly failed in the book). They can still have the war with Rictus, they can keep the entire basic plot intact, it just won't be the smug bullshit that the original comic was. Not every adaptation needs to be Sin City, and this one will benefit from being made more palatable for the public.

Then again that advert doesn't exactly seperate the new version from 100 other action films. They need to still have superpowers involved, thats why the kids power is so awesome, he's just taking out all these guys who can shoot lightning and whatnot with guns.

• 3 months later...
Yahoo! Movies has already posted online the Super Bowl spot for Universal Pictures' Wanted, starring James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, Terence Stamp, Thomas Kretschmann, Common and Angelina Jolie. Based upon Mark Millar's explosive graphic novel series and helmed by stunning visualist director Timur Bekmambetov, the action-thriller opens in theaters on June 27.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809878244/video/6231634

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to see this on friday, it was ok.

A few gripes when

When James mcavoy's character screams at his boss, you can hear his Scottish accent breaking through, that might just be me though.

but the film was shallow and fun to me, the only other things i noticed were Morgan Freeman cannot say Power, it comes out as Pow-ah and the man says mother**Ker the best i have ever seen it done. Sam Jackson take notes.

Fun movie, was interesting and is recommendable.

• 7 months later...

Picked this up for £5 earlier today. Just as big dumb and fun as it was in the cinema. Its so rare that action surprises me anymore, but this is frankly exhilarating in places. The parts that aren't all-action fun are just made great by the talent involved. Not much to wrong with here, it totally surpasses the comic.

Timur Bekmambetov might just be the most exciting action director out there, just check out Nightwatch/Daywatch. This is the man to entrust comic-book translations to. I can barely conceive of his Green Lantern. His imagination is that of a slightly better realized Del Toro. Time will tell if his overall creations can match Del Toro in their final form, I need to see more storytelling from the guy. This beats Hellboy hands down though.

• 3 months later...

Megan and I finally got around to watching this tonight and both loved it. It was paper thin in depth but the story was interesting and the action was incredible. Made Matrix look like a pussy. TOTALLY different from the comic but in a good way. Really enjoyed pretty much every aspect of this movie. A good usage of rock music and Danny Elfman's best score ina decade with CGI that looks convincing. :yes:

Funny, dumb action. I need to see the Crank movies now.

I thought it was fine until the very end. It was like "wait, THAT was the entire point of the movie?!?"

I have problems with the idea of the story's "message" being that wholesale slaughter, ridiculous amounts of f-bombs, and random sex are the ultimate things to accomplish in life.

EDIT:

Says the guy with the Deadpool avatar. Heh.....

*switches avatar back to Captain America*

I have problems with the idea of the story's "message" being that wholesale slaughter, ridiculous amounts of f-bombs, and random sex are the ultimate things to accomplish in life.

Wesley didn't have sex once in that movie.

But in the sense of crude language and violence, the movie pulled off the comic perfectly.

The keyboard scene is one of my favorite hits in film history...and I saw it coming.

Yeah, but I think it was sort of implied in the kissing scene with Fox that indulging in such things was "good."

I think I'dve been fine with all of it if only they hadn't tried to have a type of moral message. (or maybe anti-moral?)

Yeah, but I think it was sort of implied in the kissing scene with Fox that indulging in such things was "good."

I think I'dve been fine with all of it if only they hadn't tried to have a type of moral message. (or maybe anti-moral?)

Wait. Is having sex bad?

If so, call me Red Skull.

If you're Republican. :P

I saw this in the theatres with a friend, didn't really think much of it. The character I liked most was the Russian guy. I thought some of the effects went a bit over the top, and I could see the plot twists coming five minutes into the movie. It was okay, but nothing I'd go out of my way to see again.

My friend went to see it just for James McAvoy. xD