Metal Gear Solid 4

JackFetch

UK, October 31, 2007 - Bad news, Snake fans. Solid's first PlayStation 3 outing -- which was originally scheduled to hit consoles worldwide this winter and later slated to appear in March 2008 -- has slipped, with Konami announcing that game-hungry PS3 fans (which, let's face it, is all of us) won't get to try out the Octocamo in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots until Q2 2008. For those of you who are quarterly-challenged, that translates to between April and June of next year.

A statement from the publisher said simply: "Konami has decided to delay the title's release in order to make further improvements to the quality of the game and provide even greater enjoyment for more customers worldwide. Konami will continue its efforts to make Metal Gear Solid 4 meet everyone's expectations."

Konami also promised to announce more information about the new release date in the near future.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/831/831655p1.h...mp;RSSid=831655

This is bad news for those waiting on it, and those waiting to buy a PS3 until it comes out.

• 6 months later...
We know the Metal Gear Solid series is famous for its long cut-scenes, but this tops everything! Metal Gear Solid 4, the latest instalment in Hideo Kojima's seminal stealth series, has cut-scenes (note the plural) that approach the 90 minutes mark.

Advertisement:

For those troubled with time keeping, that's the length of a feature film.

The news comes from PSW magazine, who's been and finished MGS4, and then promptly whispered in our ears about the shocking 90-minute cut-scenes. The latest issue hits newsstands today, by the way.

We were expecting long story sequences (MGS2 approached the 45 minute mark in one) but an hour and a half of cinematics was unexpected.

The good news is that you can now skip or pause the scenes. Hands up though, how many of you are actually going to sit through the full 90 minutes?

"MGS4's story is massive. The videogame equivalent of all three Godfather movies on one disc," says the mag.

"As you'd expect, you'll spend a lot of time watching cut-scenes, so if you found previous games' story exposition laborious, then you'd better find yourself a nice cushion and plenty of teabags in readiness for MGS4's.

"They can be skipped, but you'll be missing out on some of the finely crafted examples of FMV footage anywhere in gaming," the article boldly proclaims.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189543

Now we know why they couldn't fit it on anything other than Blu-Ray(and almost couldn't do that). I'm sorry but if I want to watch movies, I put in a movie. I play games because I like to control what happens.

And to think, people ragged on the Xenosaga titles for their cut-scenes.

Though personally, I think this is a very bold move on their part and I rather like it.

I couldn't finish either Xenosaga game because I just didn't have the kind of time it took to play them. You had to plan your life around the games.

I just want to see Solid Snake reject Otacon's help over the radio, using 1 Corinthians 5 as justification: "Put away from among yourselves that wicked person."

:laugh:

"It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife."

That would be absolutely hilarious.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the game and I'm sorry, but it's crap. 10 minutes of gameplay for every 30 minutes of cut scenes is retarded. The graphics aren't any better than GRAW2 or Rainbow 6 Vegas. The only thing it has going for it is it's wackiness. When you hit start for the first time you get to watch an interview with real live video that makes no sense. And later on you get to watch real video of eggs cooking while someone is spouting random numbers. What the fuck am I playing?

I've gotten a little farther along, and I don't hate it as much as I did at first. The graphics are hit and miss. Sometimes it looks like crap, and sometimes it looks photo realistic. It looks it's best during the cutscenes(the actual gameplay looks like any other next gen game), and there are plenty of those. I don't like going ten feet to see a cutscene of a guy taking a dump in an oil drum. The controls are not great, and their seems to be a bug where sometimes my gun get's unequipped in the middle of a fight. My biggest problem is Snake is slow as Christmas. When a guy gets behind you, you turn so slow that he's already on top of you knocking you down.

Equipping items is a pain also. I found 2 Playboys, and they aren't in my inventory. I also can't figure out how to play the in game iPod. That also makes me wonder how Snake gets those discs he finds in the middle of a battlefield onto his iPod without a computer. The oil drum, while cool, is useless. I've been spotted every time I have used it(how does he carry that thing around?) and seems to only roll at Nascar speed.

The story seems pretty good, but since I never played the last one I'm lost a lot.