Constantine.

Let's get ranty, shall we?

One of the best, most original, and darkest comics going (HellBlazer) will be released in its cinema form soon. The part of John Constantine, a rake at the gates of hell, a middleaged scouser (liverpudlian/thief), a right bastard but a nice guy, will be played by Keanu Reeves.

Yes. It'll be played by Theodore Logan esq.

Please, write your reactions to this. Do you think it won't suck? Or are you right?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The book's kinda launched down the tubes over the last couple months anyway... I'm considering dropping it from my saver.

Edit: Just watched the trailer, and... yeah. I won't be heading to the theatre. Reeves just doesn't fit the role. His face is more "wait.... what?" than "well, that sucks... but i still don't give much of a fuck." And his voice is all wrong. He doesn't sound convinced in what he's doing.

drq

Yeah. Fucking right.

It's like one of those Orange adverts in the cinemas (Do you get those in the US?).

'It's a story about how an anti-hero lives his life, constantly surrounded by turmoil....about how even a heartless bastard can be a nice guy....about the true evil in men, and the reality of hell on earth...'

'I'm seeing.....The Matrix meets Ghostbusters.'

'But...the main character is a middle aged Scouser...'

'Hey, The Matrix was a big hit. Keanu Reeves....he'd be good in the main part.'

'But he's American.'

'Big Audience'.

'Fuck you!'

'Here's a check.'

'Did I say American? I meant to say vastly under-rated.'

• 5 months later...

If rumors are to believed, Constantine has received an R rating -- which shouldn't come as a surprise considering the source material. However, it seems as though the studio is heading back to reshoot several scenes either to garner a PG-13 rating or add some gore to the R they received.

I swear, I will flip my fucking lid if this is PG-13. It's an adult comic for crying and should remain and adult film. Seriously, screw WB if they're cleaning this up for a PG-13!

• 2 months later...

Will Smith is believable as an action hero, despite how unlikely it seems when you come across "Fresh Prince" re-runs. I just can't watch Reeves, though, without thinking "This is the guy from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

:doh:

Will Smith is believable as an action hero, despite how unlikely it seems when you come across "Fresh Prince" re-runs. I just can't watch Reeves, though, without thinking "This is the guy from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

:doh:

Agree with you 100% on this. Although sometimes I see Johnny Utah from Point Break and not Ted, but 6 of one......

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I just got back from the screening, and let me say, if airport security was 1/2 as tight as security was there, terrorism would not be a problem.

Anyway, I liked it. Not a classic, but it was good. Reeves actually turns in one of the better performances of the film, and while Reeves isn't a good enough actor to carry the film, he doesn't detract from it, either. Shia LeBouf (I have no idea if that's how you spell his name) and the guy who plays Midnite turn in the scene stealing performances, but their roles are relatively small.

If the movie has one major weakness, it's that most of the supporting cast are just too dry and unemotional. It's hard to explain why its such a distraction while refraining from spoilers, so I won't elaborate on it anymore than that.

So, if you're not a fan of Hellblazer, I'd actually reccomend you go see it. I think it's worth the $6-7 price of admission. I think it was worth the hour wait in the cold.

If you are, I'm not really sure what to say. I read "Hunger" and flipped through the rest of the Original Sins TPB, and read a bit of "Newcastle" in B&N tuesday, but really it wasn't enough for me to become a fan or even get familiar enough with the story to judge the movie as being based on the book. I'm pretty sure fans of the book won't be satisfied with Reeves if for no other reason than he's not a blonde Brit. If you think you could turn off your inner geek and actually sit back and just watch it, you might enjoy it. If you can't, I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...