Dubs gets back into comics.

Same here. I also shouted "hell yeah!" when

the Saint of Killers shot God and sat at the throne.

Seriously, this is my favorite comic ever now. I can't imagine anything else beating this.

No clue what I'm going to read next. I might continue with Rising Stars, as my store is missing the first 4 volumes of Y: The Last Man and Transmetro still hasn't arrived yet.

People tell me 52 and the Crisis stories are good, but I'm a bit soured by how overtly complex they've made everything.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. I also shouted "hell yeah!" when

the Saint of Killers shot God and sat at the throne.

Seriously, this is my favorite comic ever now. I can't imagine anything else beating this.

No clue what I'm going to read next. I might continue with Rising Stars, as my store is missing the first 4 volumes of Y: The Last Man and Transmetro still hasn't arrived yet.

People tell me 52 and the Crisis stories are good, but I'm a bit soured by how overtly complex they've made everything.

Last thing you want to do if you;ve been out of the loop is look at ANY DC event. 52 is over-rated in my opinion. The most interesting story takes place in one episode and then we never see that character in the series again.

A co-worker (who's a massive DC mark) pretty much forced me to check out Infinite Crisis, so I picked up that and Marvel Zombies, cause I need something a bit light after finishing Preacher.

Actual dialouge between me and my co-worker.

Me: Don't you have to know a lot of back story from the first Crisis? I really don't want to get into all of that, right now.

Him: Nah, you didn't miss anything. There's one earth, a Flash died, that's about it.

Infinite Crisis - I don't really know how I feel about this. It most definitely had it's moments, especially anything involving Black Adam, but I wasn't really that into it. I didn't dislike it, per say, but it's just the kind of thing I'd never want to read again.

I'll be back with some more thoughts tomorrow.

Infinite Crisis - I don't really know how I feel about this. It most definitely had it's moments, especially anything involving Black Adam, but I wasn't really that into it. I didn't dislike it, per say, but it's just the kind of thing I'd never want to read again.

I'll be back with some more thoughts tomorrow.

Infinite Crisis is garbage and was just a poorly conceived repackaging of the original Crisis. Don't let that stop you from reading 52 though. 52 is an incredible read but maybe not something you want to jump into right away.

House of M - Yeah, I wasn't feeling this too much. All and all, great concept, so-so execution.

First of all, was it ever explained why Wanda's powers fluctuate so much? I like to consider myself an X-Veteran, but that's something that I don't think was ever clearly explained.

Can't stand the fact that Wolverine was the one guy to remember everything. I know the Marvel Universe basically revolves around the guy, but to me, that's all the more reason we should have had someone else see through it all. Maybe Hawkeye, realizing that he shouldn't have existed, or even better, Spider-Man.

I'm not a big Spider-Man guy, but he was no doubt the best character in this book. Seeing that his ideal life had him married to Gwen Stacy with a kid was just surreal, and the effect it had on him after realizing the truth. Haven't been following his books too much, but I imagine they didn't really follow up much on this? Or is this what jumpstarted his marriage going to shit?

Which reminds me? Wolverine's dream was to be Nick Fury? The fuck? Having Jean back and madly in love with him never crossed his mind? And what about the other members of the alternate S.H.I.E.L.D.? Did they just not count? Nightcrawler and Rogue always dreamed of being soldiers?

They never really explained what happened to Cap or why, other than him just being old. Again, I can't imagine he wanted that.

The whole "no more mutants" thing is probably a tangent for another time, since it was only a fraction of this book, but I've pretty much hated it from the moment I heard about it, but only because they didn't have the balls to go all the way with it.

Wanda should have just said "No more mutants... oh, except for the characters that make us money. They'll be fine, as always."

I personally would have LOVED to see all of the X-Men completely powerless for a while, just confused and not really sure how to function, but... ah well.

Obviously this wasn't the ideal reality for everyone, but it did put a lot of characters in the roles they might see themselves best serving in that reality. Peter Parker became a celebrity, a beloved movie star, and really there wasn't much more he was going to do either way. After the spider bit him he wasn't going to become some big shot politician or soldier, he was always more likely to become a showman. Wolverine sees himself as a righteous protector and someone who goes out of his way to bring down the bad guys by any means. Being a top agent working from the helicarrier would put him in the best possible position to assume the responsiblity of safeguarding the innocent. Most of the people on his team in the house of M have a similar temprement, where they arn't exactly white knights but they do have a strong internal moral compass.

In caps case he achieved everything he wanted to or expected to during his natural life. He wouldn't have dreamed of being lost before the end of the war, or being frozen in ice. He just wanted to serve his country to the best of his ability and he always did.

I think you are looking at the House of M as being a reality in which everyone got thier hearts desire, which wasn't the case at all. It was just the best situation Wanda could put together where all these people still fit into the overall dream of that world.

Just wanted to say I finally read Preacher because of this thread, and now I'm hooked on it and have ordered the rest of the trades after reading the first one. So thanks, haha. :happy:

Also, on the subject of great comics, I'm going to get into Sandman, as well, and I'm greatly looking forward to that.