Dubs gets back into comics.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Avengers - I had very little connection to the old Avengers, so no real issue there. Plus, I mark out for Luke Cage. All and all, a good book.

Some random thoughts.

- Where the hell was Ronin? She's on the back cover and some of the art inside, but doesn't make an appearence at any point in the story. She's one of my favorite characters and I was bummed when she wasn't even mentioned.

- I've come to realize that while I hate Spider-Man in his own series, I love him in cross overs and team ups. I think it has to do with the fact that he never needs to be the emotional backbone and can really just shine in his role of the joker.

- Sentry rules. That is all.

- Spider-Woman is kinda useless, but her purpose was to be oggled, and due to the great art, she most definately was.

- Daredevil thing was kinda just abandoned. I'm assuming that gets resolved in a later edition.

- Just some great writing all around here. Everything flowed pretty well.

Here's the deal with Ronin and Daredevil: when Marvel announced this book, they hastily drew promotional artwork. Included was a mysterious character named Ronin. No one (supposedly, not even Bendis) knew who it would be at the time. They simply thought it was a nifty design.

Later, when Cap met with Daredevil in New Avengers, it was hinted that Daredevil would join the team not as himself, but as someone else. Most people assumed that Ronin would wind up being DD. As you know, that wasn't the case: it was Echo. So the DD stuff was there to swerve us.

Thunderbolts: Faith in Monsters - Ha. Bullseye got owned. Other than that, not a whole lot going on here. Funny watching everyone get smacked around by a bunch of jobber heroes though.

Up Next - Something DC, don't know yet.

Green Lantern: Rebirth - Started off kinda jumbled, but holy fuck did things get great by the 3rd act. Green Lantern's always been (Hal and Guy, most notably) one of the few DC heroes I could really get into, and this actually has me wanting to catch up even more on Lantern stuff.

I wouldn't say I'm big on "brash" or "gritty" characters. I HATE Wolverine, even before he got overexposed, and a lot of the guns blazing types don't really do it for me. I like the brashness of Preacher because it was just refreshingly honest and brutal, but I'm still very much a fan of all types of characters. I think the thing that really gets me, personally, is any story in which the hero is just dragged through the mud and beaten down, so badly to the point that you don't think there's a chance of him pulling through, and either because he's too brave, crazy or stupid, he stands up and starts fucking people up. It's something I try sooo hard to capture in my own fiction writing, and it just really appeals to me for whatever reason. A guy that's just racked with problems, but when the time comes to pull through, he steps up. I got the same feeling in New Avengers when in the span of two pages, Sentry made more of an impact on me than anyone else in the book when he ripped Carnage in half.

So I guess you could say I love flawed ass kickers.

I don't think I would like Guy nearly as much if Hal wasn't there as a basis of comparison. Plus, I mark for the jacket.

As for Hal, he's very much a "traditional" hero, but the guy is fearless, and he carries so much respect with the rest of his peers. Even BATMAN feels threatened by the guy, and he can't stand the fact that Hal doesn't buy into his hype.

I think it was summed up best in the book though, near the end, when Hal is still fighting.

"Why don't you quit?"

"I don't know how."

Simply awesome.

If you don't like Hal Jordan, you don't like comics. That's it.

Dude, its freakin' Hal Jordan. Every time he does his little lightshow and stands up to Batman I roll my eyes. No one else feels the need to do that, all he's doing is strutting like an emerald peacock. Give me John, Kyle or Guy anyday.

If you don't like Hal Jordan, you don't like comics. That's it.

Dude, its freakin' Hal Jordan. Every time he does his little lightshow and stands up to Batman I roll my eyes. No one else feels the need to do that, all he's doing is strutting like an emerald peacock. Give me John, Kyle or Guy anyday.

:wub:

I like the Hal/Batman dynamic. It works for me. I think that they come from two very different places like Hal and Green Arrow do (I won't call him Ollie because there's only one Green Arrow in my eyes). But where their differences are political, Bats and Hal have fundamental differences in what makes them a hero: Bats is an avenger whose sense of duty comes from not wanting anyone to suffer like he has whereas Hal was bestowed with the greatest weapon in the universe and thrown into a situation where he had to cope with a sense of duty he was not used to.

Both are very complicated characters and I have no problem that they butt heads on almost every meeting, in fact, in light of what Hal did as Parallax and Spectre, I expect it. Hal and Coast City is the living embodiment of making amends but to Batman who deals with the same 2 dozen denizens of Arkham every month, no one is ever rehabilitated.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the Hal/Batman dynamic. It works for me. I think that they come from two very different places like Hal and Green Arrow do (I won't call him Ollie because there's only one Green Arrow in my eyes). But where their differences are political, Bats and Hal have fundamental differences in what makes them a hero: Bats is an avenger whose sense of duty comes from not wanting anyone to suffer like he has whereas Hal was bestowed with the greatest weapon in the universe and thrown into a situation where he had to cope with a sense of duty he was not used to.

Both are very complicated characters and I have no problem that they butt heads on almost every meeting, in fact, in light of what Hal did as Parallax and Spectre, I expect it. Hal and Coast City is the living embodiment of making amends but to Batman who deals with the same 2 dozen denizens of Arkham every month, no one is ever rehabilitated.

I tend to prefer the Green Arrow/Batman dynamic. They are both non-powered rich kids but aside from that they are completly different people, they clash in so many more interesting ways, especially when they spot any remote similarity in the other. Hal's just a bit bland for me.

• 2 weeks later...

The whole thing reeked of Fight Club-esque over pretentiousness, the whole idea of "the world is fucked and nothing matters". I really don't need that in my escapism entertainment.

To be fair, even Fight Club was able to mold a bit of metaphor and theme into it, this was just page after page of "gritty" gun masterbation, with two pages of "yeah, did we just fucking BLOW YOUR MIND!?!?!" at the end.

Since there was almost literally a death every page, there was no cause to care at all when anyone died. Every character was a redshirt. There was no reason to give a fuck about any of the characters, because they were all evil pricks, and the main character was just a dickless pushover who felt sorry for himself and thought the world owed him something, despite being completely responsible for his shitty life. Moreso, the ending is then supposed tell every person reading that they were a fucking moron for wasting their time with it.

It was trying to be sooooo cool, that it forgot to be substantive or interesting on any level.