Superman Returns

Missy

Comic book writer Mark Millar is reporting that Jim Caviezel (The Passion of The Christ) is the new Superman. Warner Bros. and Caviezel's agent have yet to confirm this, so take it for what it's worth. Hopefully we'll get confirmation (either way) in a few days.

Jesus is going to play Superman?

Somehow appropriate...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comic book writer Mark Millar is reporting that Jim Caviezel (The Passion of The Christ) is the new Superman.  Warner Bros. and Caviezel's agent have yet to confirm this, so take it for what it's worth.  Hopefully we'll get confirmation (either way) in a few days.

Jesus is going to play Superman?

Somehow appropriate...

Well the Romans whipped Jesus to death with Kryptonite tipped whips.

After several news sources attempted to debunk Millar's story that Caviezel will play Superman, Millar wrote this:

Just to hammer home how confident I am as regards my source (pretty much as good as it gets), I will personally write a cheque to charity for 1000 dollars from my Wolverine royalties (Wolverine 20 and 21 out October 2004) if Jim Caviezel isn't cast as Superman on the day principal photography starts. Warners may have a couple of PR stunts planned prior to the final announcement, but this is a bet that Jim C is standing there in a Superman costume once the cameras start rolling.

Rumor has it that David Boreanaz (Angel) nearly snagged the role of Ben Grimm before Michael Chiklis got it. The same report also suggests that he tested for Superman, and that Singer liked him -- a lot.

Hmmm, interesting. I would have enjoyed him in both roles. I would however be afraid that people would not accept him as Superman, thinking that working on Buffy/Angel and nothing else, is not a good enough apprenticeship to play The Man of Steel.

I think though, for Boreanaz, his best bet would be to play a villan in his first feature film (I don't count Valentine as a feature film). So, if he is interested in the Comic Genre, possibly something in Spidey 3?

Rumor has it that David Boreanaz (Angel) nearly snagged the role of Ben Grimm before Michael Chiklis got it.  The same report also suggests that he tested for Superman, and that Singer liked him -- a lot.

I think though, for Boreanaz, his best bet would be to play a villan in his first feature film (I don't count Valentine as a feature film). So, if he is interested in the Comic Genre, possibly something in Spidey 3?

Funny you should say that - he's playing the main villain in the latest Crow sequel, according to IMDB.com

• 3 weeks later...

Singer recently confirmed that Superman will be played by an unknown, so scratch all those rumors about Jim Caviezel having snagged the part.

"We're going to cast an unknown," declared Singer, who signed on to direct the new film earlier this year. Dan Harris and NYU alum Mike Dougherty, the duo that co-wrote the screenplay for Singer's "X2," are in the process of penning the script.

"It doesn't require a star to go see it. It's Superman - it's its own brand - and..." He trailed off. How does one rationalize rejecting a star?

"Known actors bring baggage, in a way," Harris said. "Sort of distracts you from who [superman] really is."

• 2 weeks later...

From Darkhorizons.com

Brandon James Routh is the new "Superman". Routh was first mentioned around two months ago (including right here) amidst the flurry of speculated names. Well now it has been confirmed by a Warners rep apparently and the announcement should hit the trades early next week.

Routh, who just turned 25 last week, has previously starred in regular roles on MTV's "Undressed" and daytime soapie "One Life to Live". He's also had notable guest appearances on such shows as "Will & Grace", "Oliver Beene", "Cold Case" and "Gilmore Girls".

The source who informed me of Routh's casting a few hours ago (yes I was asleep, these are the days I want to kick myself), also has passed on some more juicy information exclusive here. The film starts off with Superman having been missing for six years. Also, the Kryptonian production design element will be almost identical to the first film - so expect Krypton and the Fortress of Solitude to be very much the slanted ice crystal motif we've all been used to.

Other casting has yet to be finalised it seems though I've been advised to lend credence to the Topher Grace (as Olsen) and Mischa Barton (as Lois) talk.

Brandon James Routh: Can't comment, because I can't say I've ever seen the man.

Mischa Barton: NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Topher Grace: I love the idea of him as Jimmy, but that would mean Jimmy is older than both Lois (if they cast Mischa) and Superman.

Brandon James Routh: Can't comment, because I can't say I've ever seen the man.

Mischa Barton: NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Topher Grace: I love the idea of him as Jimmy, but that would mean Jimmy is older than both Lois (if they cast Mischa) and Superman.

Totally agree that Topher would rule as Jimmy.

Lois: I only have 2 options for her. Bridget Moynahan(sp) or Jill Hennesey.

I love the OC (thats another story), but Mischa would do to Lois, what Halle did to Catwoman AND Storm. Someone getting the part for being the current 'it' person, instead of on their merrits.

If Superman has been "missing" for 6 years, how can they cast a 25yr old?? Seems weird. He does like a superman though.

I think that idea is that, in the six years since his departure, he's de-aged... or something. When they were still working with the Death of Superman storyline, that was the idea. That he died (in battle) and came back looking younger. So I can accept a younger Supes. What I have to wonder, however, is how Lois became a teenager.

Speaking of Mischa, I really doubt the rumor. Really doubt it! For the most part, Singer is known for casting unknowns and making them stars. Yeah, sometimes he'll use names, but they're usually tried-and-true with credible backgrounds. Not flash-in-that-pan 'it' stars. Casting Mischa, if it pans out (pardon the pun), seems very McG-ish.

Word has it that Kevin Spacey, who's been friends with Singer since The Usual Suspects, is the man Singer wants for Lex.

Singer also recently stated that he wanted Reeve to have an on-camera role where he would have walked, much like he did in a CG'd television ad some years ago.

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's ... Brandon James Routh! Who, you ask, is Brandon James Routh? According to www.darkhorizons.com, he's the new Superman.

Screenwriter Dan Harris, who turned in the final "Superman Returns" script to the studio on Sunday, would say only that, contrary to many Hollywood reports that a known actor like Jim Caviezel, Tom Welling or Josh Hartnett would be cast as the Man of Steel, the part would be played by an unknown.

"We watched all the screen tests done by big names in Hollywood, and all of these guys are all wrong for different reasons," Harris said. "The biggest problem is that the known actors bring the baggage of their own personas. And think about it. Chris Reeve was an unknown when he made the movie."

Harris and director Bryan Singer ("X-Men") had been hoping to work with Reeve, who died Oct. 10.

"We wanted to involve Christopher Reeve in the making of the new movie," Harris told GLARE on Monday. "It would have been so nice to have Chris be a part of the new film as an adviser. Who knows what his title would have been, but we know Chris would have loved being involved. Being Superman meant so much to him."

The creators are setting out to give a new generation its Superman with "Superman Returns," which will begin production in four weeks.

"It's moving full steam ahead," Harris said. "I'm happy to say that, because Hollywood has been trying to crack this Superman thing for years."

As for script secrets, Harris divulged the following: "He'll begin in his late 20s. He lost his powers in 'Superman 2' and now he has the powers back. But something has happened because he's been away for a long time."

As for script secrets, Harris divulged, "We're taking off from the first two Superman films with Christopher Reeve. We use his history and then move on with big twists and great special effects.

"We're not going to do the origin story again. Our view is if you're over 25 years old, then you've seen the Reeve films and that's Superman to you. If you're under 25, then you watch TV's 'Smallville,' and that's Superman to you."

Routh, 25, previously had regular roles on the daytime soap "One Life to Live" and MTV's "Undressed," plus guest appearances on such shows as "Will & Grace," "Cold Case" and "Gilmore Girls."

Cinescape is saying these six women are up for the part of Lois Lane:

Mischa Barton (The O.C.)

Mischa.jpg

Charisma Charpenter (Angel)

Charisma.jpg

Mia Kirshner (The Crow: City of Angels)

Mia.jpg

Evangeline Lilly (Lost)

Evangeline.jpg

Natalie Portman (Star Wars prequels)

Natalie.jpg

Keri Russell (Felicity)

Keri.jpg

Based on looks alone (because I've only seen three of these women actually act), I'd go with Evangeline, Charisma or Mia (in that order).

Ok, I'm confused.

This picture will take place after Superman 2, but he's regained his powers, yet he and Lois have reverted in age? I'm okay with the idea that Superman has reverted in age (after all, he's an alien being with super-powers on Earth, if anybody would have eternal youth, it's him), but why has Lois? Especially considering that Topher Grace is about three years older than McClure was when Superman 2 was filmed. So Jimmy's aged slightly, but Lois (Kidder was 32 in Superman 2) loses a decade? :wacko:

Yeah, I'm overanalyzing. But would it have been so hard to have said, "hey, we're making our own movie."

Weird that htey want an unknown for Superman, but are happy with a known for Lois. Couldn't you use the same argument that you don't need someone to 'sell' Lois?

Agreed. I'm fine with Spacey as Lex, 'cause it doesn't hurt to have some star power. But yeah, casting an unknown for Lois would be better than most (if not all) of those choices.

Weird that htey want an unknown for Superman, but are happy with a known for Lois. Couldn't you use the same argument that you don't need someone to 'sell' Lois?

Agreed. I'm fine with Spacey as Lex, 'cause it doesn't hurt to have some star power. But yeah, casting an unknown for Lois would be better than most (if not all) of those choices.

Yeah agree you need some star power, and traditionally (Batman) this has been in the Villain. Not sure about Spacey, he has never really come across as a powerful bad guy. The closest was probably A Time to Kill when he was the prosecutor.

Maybe his Lex, will be more Keysor Soze, and less Verbal Kint.

Yeah agree you need some star power, and traditionally (Batman) this has been in the Villain. Not sure about Spacey, he has never really come across as a powerful bad guy. The closest was probably A Time to Kill when he was the prosecutor.

Maybe his Lex, will be more Keysor Soze, and less Verbal Kint.

How about Se7en? He was a pretty fucking powerful bad guy in that.