Lois Lane: Kate Bosworth

Lex Luthor: Kevin Spacey

Perry White: Frank Langella

Richard White: James Marsden

Jimmy Olsen: Sam Huntington

Martha Kent: Eva Marie Saint

Kitty Koslowski: Parker Posey [Luthor's henchwoman]

Stanford: Kal Penn [Luthor's right-hand man]

Because his TV show House has taken off and the filming schedules would conflict, Hugh Laurie has had to dropout as Perry White. In his place Singer has cast Frank Langella.

• 3 weeks later...
If the rumors are true. Hugh Jackman has signed on to play Jonathan Kent.  Because Pa is already dead, his scenes will, of course, be flashbacks.  (So the vast age gap between he and Eva Marie Saint/Martha Kent won't be an issue.)

FYI: This rumor has been killed.

• 1 month later...

Am I the only person who thinks that, just judging by the way the guy who is playing supes looks, this movie is going to blow? I am waiting to judge it of course, but if someone asked me right now if I thought it was going to suck or not, I'd say yes, it is going to suck.

Based off of Superman's look...?  If we're basing the quality of a movie on the actors' looks, then the original Superman should have bombed because Reeve looked dorky too.

Yeah, but you would think that with all the advances in movies made since then, they could find a Superman who at lesat looks like he could kick my ass. That guy looks like he should be playing Jimmy Olsen.

I can relate. There's an irrational itch that leads my mind to splurt out against better judgement - turrets-like - that this looks appalling. It just looks so OTT, as if a Donner fanboy is trying desperately to recapture the magic of the (very outdated) original Superman. It seems - so far at least - that Singer's making a film that belongs in the 70s.

I still am completely unconvinced by the premise of the movie (30 years after Superman 2 in movie time, 7 years in ours, & completely ignoring Superman 3 and 4), but even aside from that, this looks disappointing. It's not the hard-biting, new-age, melodrama free Superman I had wished for

Peta Wilson (La Femme Nikita) has confirmed that she will have an as of yet unrevealed role in Superman Returns.

Lex henchwoman, you know, one of the amazons (whose names escape me at the moment)??

It has to be Mercy. It HAS to be.

HOLY SHIT! I didn't even think of that!

Peta Wilson (La Femme Nikita) has confirmed that she will have an as of yet unrevealed role in Superman Returns.

Lex henchwoman, you know, one of the amazons (whose names escape me at the moment)??

It has to be Mercy. It HAS to be.

HOLY SHIT! I didn't even think of that!

Peta Wilson would fucking OWN that role if she is, in fact, going to play Mercy. She's fits the role, the demeanor and the look perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I am biased because I am not a huge superman fan in the first place...

But man, I would have thought they could have done a better job with a character which is more recognizable than any world leader. That S is a brand name and even if I do not like that brand, you gotta respect it, and from what I can see the only respect it is getting is the casting of Lex Luthor.

The emblem itself looks pretty cool, but it looks all wrong on the actor, proportions are wrong. I think they were trying to make him look beefier without actually casting someone who looks strong enough. If this guy told me and my henchmen "Give up and I won't hurt you" I would respond "If I don't give up you won't hurt me either."

What is up with setting it between movies? Superhero movies like Batman Begins have it right, create your own continuity so you are not held back by the mistakes of your predecessors, and so that you can actually give us an original vision of an old favorite, not a rehash of tired image.

I hate that there is a distinct possibility that no matter how much this movie sucks I will likely see it to prove to myself how bad it is. Just like the Fantastic Four.

No way will Bryan Singer ruin this; he did wonders with the X-Men franchise, and will do the same for Superman. And while Routh might not look the part, who would have ever thought that an (at the time) unknown actor named Christopher Reeve would gain immortality through the role?

One more thing: this isn't set between movies. It's ignoring parts three and four altogether.